Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hrose
    • By Hrose 29th Nov 17, 6:37 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hrose
    Europe
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:37 PM
    Europe 29th Nov 17 at 6:37 PM
    According to O2 the UK is not part of Europe and therefore making mobile calls from UK say to France would be chargeable as we are not part of Europe! Have got them to refund my charge but not after lengthy discussions on this.
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 29th Nov 17, 6:41 PM
    • 3,471 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:41 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:41 PM
    you are charged because you are not roaming
    • macman
    • By macman 29th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 41,406 Posts
    • 17,034 Thanks
    macman
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:50 PM
    Are you calling a French number (mobile or landline), or a UK mobile roaming in France?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • d123
    • By d123 29th Nov 17, 8:40 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    d123
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:40 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:40 PM
    According to O2 the UK is not part of Europe and therefore making mobile calls from UK say to France would be chargeable as we are not part of Europe! Have got them to refund my charge but not after lengthy discussions on this.
    Originally posted by Hrose
    Itís nothing to do with not being part of Europe, youíre not roaming and youíre making international calls, they are not included in U.K. allowances (unless especially mentioned as included).
    ====
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 30th Nov 17, 7:06 AM
    • 4,265 Posts
    • 1,311 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:06 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 7:06 AM
    The EU/EEA regulations only apply when you aren't in your own member state.
    • Hrose
    • By Hrose 30th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hrose
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:40 PM
    If you use your phone on mainland Europe to phone UK you are not charged as you are using your minutes allowance. This should apply both ways. 02 did sort of agree with me and credited the cost of the calls I made to France from UK even though their call centre staff thought UK not part of Europe!
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 30th Nov 17, 1:49 PM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:49 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:49 PM
    Why is it that some people can't accept the way things are rather than how they would prefer them to be?

You're fortunate they credited the valid charges back and would be wise to follow the actual rather than the wishful thinking to avoid them in future.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 30th Nov 17, 2:26 PM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 2,490 Thanks
    boatman
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:26 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:26 PM
    Calling from the UK
    http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/calling_abroad_from_uk

Roaming in Europe(NOT in the UK):
    https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe#what-destinations-are-included-in-our-europe-zone
    • d123
    • By d123 30th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    d123
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:22 PM
    If you use your phone on mainland Europe to phone UK you are not charged as you are using your minutes allowance.
    Thatís called roaming.

This should apply both ways.
    It would be nice, but the E.U. had no power to compel home networks to do so, so it doesnít. Home use is not included in the Roaming Regulations.

International calls are not included in your home usage, check your terms and conditions if you donít believe what people are telling you.

02 did sort of agree with me and credited the cost of the calls I made to France from UK even though their call centre staff thought UK not part of Europe!
    No, they probably just gave you the goodwill gesture to get you and your complaining off the phone.
    ====
    • virgo17
    • By virgo17 30th Nov 17, 5:20 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    virgo17
    If you use your phone on mainland Europe to phone UK you are not charged as you are using your minutes allowance. This should apply both ways. 02 did sort of agree with me and credited the cost of the calls I made to France from UK even though their call centre staff thought UK not part of Europe!
    On MSE we are asked to treat new users with respect. Everyone who has responded has done so. Please bow to the fact that established users do know what they are talking about.

They are telling you actual facts. You are responding with what you would like the situation to be in your case.

This isn't a forum to vent your frustration. It is a place to ask for advice about the facts, which you have been given. Please take that advice and move on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter