Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roy harper
    • By roy harper 29th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    • 185Posts
    • 519Thanks
    roy harper
    Switching and Warm Home Discount
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    Switching and Warm Home Discount 29th Nov 17 at 6:04 PM
    I have disabled relative living with me and applied for the WHD by phoning the British Gas helpline and registering as a Priority need. (I'm dual-fuel prepayment meters). If I found a cheaper supplier, would I lose my application for WHD with a new supplier?
Page 1
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 29th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 11,638 Posts
    • 8,772 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    The WHD should be paid any day now (OVO have definitely paid theirs).

If you move before the payment goes in, then the payment can't be applied.
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 30th Nov 17, 3:24 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Enceladus
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:24 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 3:24 AM
    AIUI registering as a priority need is not an application for WHD. It's a separate application. The priority need register gets you to the head of the queue for service if there's a supply interruption and is based on a medical need. Eligibility for WHD is in the main income dependent. A person might well qualify for one but not the other or may qualify for both.
    • roy harper
    • By roy harper 30th Nov 17, 11:47 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    roy harper
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:47 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:47 AM
    I had a door-to-door energy salesman insisting I would be better off switching to his company, and that I was the only one on the street that didn't switch.
    So now I've confirmed switching I'd lose WMD, I worry about the others that will miss out now.
    Last edited by roy harper; 30-11-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    • Enceladus
    • By Enceladus 30th Nov 17, 12:40 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Enceladus
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:40 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:40 PM
    Be aware that not all suppliers have WHD for "broader group" applicants. The smaller ones are exempt. Also that the broader group eligibility criteria are not consistent across suppliers. So you need to check whether WHD is actually offered and whether you will qualify. A disabled relative living with you might not be enough.
    And also that it's a first come/first served system with a capped allocation for the broader group.

So timing might be a factor. EG. applications to OVO Energy were only open for about 5 weeks in Oct/Nov recently. If you switched now you wouldn't be able to apply for the 2017/2018 payment.

So factor that into any switch decision and timing.

All that said you probably wouldn't save all that much unless you also switched to credit meters as the pre-pay tariffs are capped anyway?
    Last edited by Enceladus; 30-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,986Posts Today

10,224Users online

Martin's Twitter