Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 29th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 852Posts
    • 1,699Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Going home from work through illness
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    Going home from work through illness 29th Nov 17 at 6:03 PM
    If you had gone to work knowing that you were not at all well, and by 3pm ( normal finish time is 4.30pm) you knew needed to go home as you felt much worse (and your line manager was ok with that) would you expect to have to work back the 1.5 hours you had missed?

A friend had the above scenario and has been told she needs to work the hours as and when. The specifics of the situation are not covered in the sickness policy. Is this usual practice?

My friend works part-time and knows that full-time workers don't have this rule applied to them. Is that acceptable and where might she find guidance on the subject?
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 29th Nov 17, 6:07 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 3,910 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:07 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:07 PM
    If she wants paid she would need to work it, unless the employer pays sick pay
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 29th Nov 17, 6:11 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:11 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:11 PM
    This sort of thing makes me think "Why did i bother?".

She'd have been better to just take the whole day off instead of soldiering in, and she'd probably recover sooner too.

The line manager has witnessed she wasn't fit for work. Would she have been paid if she'd slept at her desk for the remaining hour and a half?
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 29th Nov 17, 6:14 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:14 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:14 PM
    If she wants paid she would need to work it, unless the employer pays sick pay
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    The employer does pay sick pay. Six months full pay/six months half pay.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 29th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    • 4,237 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    She needs to query that with somebody further up the pecking order if she is certain that other workers aren't expected to make up the hours if they go off sick during the day.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 29th Nov 17, 7:15 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:15 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:15 PM
    This is common practice in parts of the public sector. There are slight differences in the way it happens, but broadly speaking, if you attend work and complete most of your working day ( the actual amount is what usually varies) then you are classed as having been in work and therefore your hours for that day are totalled towards your weekly hours. Otherwise everyone would get sick an hour before finishing time every other day! Sick pay usually only applies to full or half days.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 29th Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:22 PM
    This is common practice in parts of the public sector. There are slight differences in the way it happens, but broadly speaking, if you attend work and complete most of your working day ( the actual amount is what usually varies) then you are classed as having been in work and therefore your hours for that day are totalled towards your weekly hours. Otherwise everyone would get sick an hour before finishing time every other day! Sick pay usually only applies to full or half days.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    I see, but it isn't spelt out in the sickness policy, and other staff who work full-time hours don't have to do this.

Additionally, she was off all the rest of the week but, as she doesn't normally work Fridays this year ( it varies from year to year) they have said she can't count that day in her sickness even though she was still sick.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 29th Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:28 PM
    I see, but it isn't spelt out in the sickness policy, and other staff who work full-time hours don't have to do this.

Additionally, she was off all the rest of the week but, as she doesn't normally work Fridays this year ( it varies from year to year) they have said she can't count that day in her sickness even though she was still sick.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    Are you absolutely sure? And has she asked the question? There may well be significant differences of terms - or the same and she simply doesn't understand why. Ask the question - then if we have that answer it's easier to advise. Right now you are asking us to guess why another person who isn't you had certain terms that we don't have in evidence. Not really that easy to answer!
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 29th Nov 17, 7:33 PM
    • 4,535 Posts
    • 6,111 Thanks
    74jax
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:33 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:33 PM
    I would work the 1.5hr another time.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 29th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Are you absolutely sure? And has she asked the question? There may well be significant differences of terms - or the same and she simply doesn't understand why. Ask the question - then if we have that answer it's easier to advise. Right now you are asking us to guess why another person who isn't you had certain terms that we don't have in evidence. Not really that easy to answer!
    Originally posted by sangie595
    As far as I know, she has asked her line manager who just says that is how it works. What question should she ask? Does this policy apply across the board to all employees?

Should it apply across the board or are there instances when that might not be the case?

What about the Friday? Should that be a sick day or can they say no, because she wasn't expected in anyway?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 29th Nov 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    sangie595
    You don't normally get sick days for days you don't work. But you are still asking us to interpret a policy that isn't in front of us. She needs to ask her employers on what basis this decision was made and why it doesn't apply to full time workers - assuming it doesn't. I can't say why or if there are instances it might not apply - I can't read the policy.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 29th Nov 17, 8:48 PM
    • 18,826 Posts
    • 19,143 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    She should double check that no sickness will be recorded if she makes up the 1.5 hours. I don't understand why she would be expecting to receive sick pay for Friday if she doesn't normally work on Fridays?
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Sarastro
    • By Sarastro 3rd Dec 17, 6:35 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    Sarastro
    This all comes down to not having a clear policy, I think. I think I'd be inclined to work the hours I'd missed rather than argue the point and ask for clarification on the sickness policy. It doesn't seem fair that part time workers are treated differently to full time.

Also doesn't seem fair that a non-working day can be counted as a sick day - you weren't working anyway - although it may still count as a period of absence. Again, depends on what the policy says.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 3rd Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    Just to note that if they don't work it back, it will be classed as an incident of sickness / absence - is it really worth it for 1.5 hours?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 3rd Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    sangie595
    We don't actually know there isn't a clear policy. Just because someone doesn't know the policy doesn't mean it isn't clear. The OP hasn't been back to explain their policy.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 3rd Dec 17, 11:07 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Just to update, there is no clear policy, it is at the discretion of the line manager. Apparently, other line managers are more lenient than others...
    My friend has agreed to work the 1.5 hours, but she does still feel aggrieved that there is no consistency.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 4th Dec 17, 12:01 AM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 7,021 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Either she was sick that day and it will be recorded as such, or she left 1.5 hours early and needs to make up the time? If she had gone home earlier in the day it's likely tgat it would have been marked as a whole or half-day sick, but as she almost worked the whole day they're calling it a working day. Line managers may get discretion over whether to make the employee work that 1.5 hours or let them off it.

Most people would rather work an extra 1.5 hours another day rather than hace an extra day of sickness on their record. Especially as in many places just 6 or 8 days of sickness a year can trigger a manager meeting or affect any internal job applications.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 4th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 2,619 Thanks
    dippy3103
    The employer does pay sick pay. Six months full pay/six months half pay.
    Public sector?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 4th Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 6,854 Thanks
    sangie595
    Just to update, there is no clear policy, it is at the discretion of the line manager. Apparently, other line managers are more lenient than others...
    My friend has agreed to work the 1.5 hours, but she does still feel aggrieved that there is no consistency.
    In that case the answer is clear - it's management discretion. Managers discretion can occur in lots of situations. And it may not be "fair", but you could argue that she doesn't work that many hours anyway. I'm not saying that. But that's the thing - somebody else might argue it isn't fair on full time workers and there's just as good an argument. Personally I wouldn't argue about it if someone is a good attender normally. But that's my discretion!
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 4th Dec 17, 5:32 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 1,699 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    My friend works 30 hours and has had 5 days off in a rolling twelve-month period,4 days with Flu and one with an ongoing knee problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter