Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Leo1975
    KSL hair won't refund
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    KSL hair won't refund 29th Nov 17 at 6:01 PM
    Hi
    Apologies if this is long winded but wanted to give the background.
    My daughter has suffered with alopecia for years. We've tried everything but no joy. We recently heard of a company called KSL hair who offered the treatment required.
    My daughter had the initial consultation with them and booked the treatment which was due to take place this upcoming weekend at a cost of £7000. She paid £1400 deposit a couple of weeks back, then she paid the remaining £5600 last weekend after they called her for the balance (even though she had received no correspondence at all from them).
    Earlier this week my daughter was contacted by somebody on instagram advising that KSL are a bunch of cowboys and make a mess of a lot of people's hair and they end up worse than before the treatment (and obviously massively out of pocket)
    This scared my daughter, and after further research she decided she doesn't want to go ahead with the treatment this weekend but KSL won't refund any money as their T's & C's state if cancelling within 14 days of treatment, they keep 100% of the payment. However they have never sent any T's & C's so clearly my daughter has never signed anything.
    My daughter obviously shouldn't have paid the balance until after the treatment but she was so excited at finally potentially getting her hair problem sorted.
    So after all that, can anybody give me advice please on getting our money back from KSL? I appreciate we may lose the £1400 deposit but I'm hopeful we can get the other £5600 back? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 29th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    Sorry about your daughters condition, I’m sure it’s very distressing.
    What research did you do on the company before signing?
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 29th Nov 17, 6:34 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:34 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:34 PM
    I'm sorry, but why would you send £7000 to a company where you have no T&Cs and no contract?
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 6:37 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo1975
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:37 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:37 PM
    My daughter hasn't actually signed anything other than completing a medical questionnaire she completed at the initial consultation a few weeks back. She had read up about KSL on the internet and probably thought it was legit as they are endorsed by certain reality tv stars (not a great endorsement I know but it added a bit more weight to the whole situation)
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 29th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    My daughter hasn't actually signed anything other than completing a medical questionnaire she completed at the initial consultation a few weeks back. She had read up about KSL on the internet and probably thought it was legit as they are endorsed by certain reality tv stars (not a great endorsement I know but it added a bit more weight to the whole situation)
    Originally posted by Leo1975
    In your op you say “ we heard of a company” so what research did you do?
    If she filled in a medical questionnaire she may have signed it
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo1975
    I know it seems crazy (I wasn't aware she was paying the balance upfront or that she hadn't received any T's & C's) but after years of pain and struggle she was blinded by the opportunity of sorting her hair out for good
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo1975
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:55 PM
    We first heard of them via a reality star endorsing them on histogram. My daughter then looked into their website, endorsements, testimonials, etc. She signed her medical history form but there was no reference or mention of the T's & C's on there.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 29th Nov 17, 7:16 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:16 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:16 PM
    There’s no indication either way about how competent this company is.
    She’s rushed in blindly now trying to back out
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 7:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo1975
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:27 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:27 PM
    She's only trying to back out based on a stranger getting in touch with her then showing her various negative results of many people who have had this treatment. Before this guy contacted her she was looking forward to having the treatment and wasn't bothered about the cost as it would have been worth it if it was successful
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 29th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    She's only trying to back out based on a stranger getting in touch with her then showing her various negative results of many people who have had this treatment. Before this guy contacted her she was looking forward to having the treatment and wasn't bothered about the cost as it would have been worth it if it was successful
    Originally posted by Leo1975
    And why would a total stranger do this .
    He’s not her consultant
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 7:34 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo1975
    I appreciate my daughter has made mistakes here but I was hoping for some opinion or advice on where we stand if possible
    • bris
    • By bris 29th Nov 17, 7:57 PM
    • 7,094 Posts
    • 6,110 Thanks
    bris
    Unfortunately your daughter has very little rights here.

The contract was clearly formed on consultation and payment seals the deal.

Lack of T&C's doesn't make it a deal breaker, when was the last time you got T&C's from your hairdresser?

Your daughter does have consumer rights, in that the service must be carried out with reasonable care and skill. If it falls below standards then she would be entitled to a remedy, which could be a full refund.

The downside is however due to the nature of the treatment I would assume not everyone can get the success they are looking for. If they gave promises then you should hope they are in writing. A bit like laser eye surgery, you still pay for the treatment whether it works or not.

As for the reviews, everyone complains when things go wrong but you hear very little about the successes.
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 8:10 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo1975
    Thanks for your input bris, doesn't sound great for us but just wanted some advice/ opinion as this kind of thing is very new to me, cheers
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 29th Nov 17, 10:09 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 21,004 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    Having had a look at their website, when you click on T&Cs then it goes to a contact us form!

Your daughter can't base her thoughts on what one random stranger has said.

On their website it says "100% satisfaction guaranteed" so on ths basis I think your daughter should just go ahead, but make it very clear to tem that unless the treatment is 100%'successful, she will be seeking a full refund.

Might be worth putting this in writing to them NOW.

They cannot just send T&Cs after payment, but this does not give you a right to a full refund.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 29th Nov 17, 10:26 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,460 Thanks
    Autumnella
    If it makes you feel better, They've won an award for patient satisfaction this year.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/maidstone-ksl-hair-clinic-award-121108/
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo1975
    Thanks also for your input pinkshoes, very useful, much appreciated
    • Leo1975
    • By Leo1975 29th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leo1975
    Thanks autumnella, just sent that link to my daughter
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 29th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    If it makes you feel better, They've won an award for patient satisfaction this year.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/maidstone-ksl-hair-clinic-award-121108/
    Originally posted by Autumnella
    This isn’t a genuine award it’s a marketing company award
    https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/whatclinic.com
    Last edited by hollydays; 29-11-2017 at 10:58 PM.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 30th Nov 17, 10:27 AM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    hollydays
    Having had a look at their website, when you click on T&Cs then it goes to a contact us form!

Your daughter can't base her thoughts on what one random stranger has said.

On their website it says "100% satisfaction guaranteed" so on ths basis I think your daughter should just go ahead, but make it very clear to tem that unless the treatment is 100%'successful, she will be seeking a full refund.

Might be worth putting this in writing to them NOW.

They cannot just send T&Cs after payment, but this does not give you a right to a full refund.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    I think you should discuss the treatment with your daughters consultant and or doctor.
    They may be able to give advice about qualifications to look for in a hair transplant company. Some of these company’s are unregulated

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/cosmetic-treatments-guide/Pages/hair-transplant.aspx#where
    Last edited by hollydays; 30-11-2017 at 1:17 PM.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 30th Nov 17, 11:50 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    camelot1971
    On their website:

At KSL Hair we do not ask for upfront deposits, and yes we do no deposit payment plans spread across 1-5 years to cover your hair loss treatment with us.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

3,045Users online

Martin's Twitter