Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cejr9
    • By cejr9 29th Nov 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cejr9
    0 WOW
    Refund for pre-asigned seats - Virgin Atlantic
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:56 PM
    0 WOW
    Refund for pre-asigned seats - Virgin Atlantic 29th Nov 17 at 5:56 PM
    I'm reaching the end of my rope with Virgin Atlantic and I'm hoping that someone can offer me some advice of the best way to proceed.

Back in January I pre-booked seats for our flight from Miami to London in August. When we checked in, our seats had been changed. On querying this, I was told that the seats we chose (extra leg room) were inoperable and that is why we had been moved. Fair enough. We were told that the refund had been processed already. When we get on the plane, people are sat in the allegedly inoperable seats. Cue much back and forthing with VA and myself with no satisfactory explanation for this given. What really is bothering me though, is that 3 months on, the refund has still not appeared. I've had several emails assuring me that it had already been processed, and then today received an email saying that they can't find details of the transaction and that I need to forward a receipt/bank statement so that they can process the refund. Which I have done. Based on previous experience though it will be at least a couple of weeks before I hear back from them. Do I just wait? Take it further? I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall here. How long does a company have to give a refund before they are breaking any rules?
Page 1
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 29th Nov 17, 7:05 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    steve1500
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:05 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:05 PM
    Threaten them with Smalls claims court
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 29th Nov 17, 7:13 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    Teahfc
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:13 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:13 PM
    I would call them, you will get a name and contact and keep going higher until you get a result.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 30th Nov 17, 9:01 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 4,114 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:01 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 9:01 AM
    Sounds like they overbooked the extra leg room seats

Tweet Richard Branson @richardbranson and Virgin @Virgin

Kick up a fuss on there
    Have a nice day
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 30th Nov 17, 11:57 AM
    • 18,784 Posts
    • 43,236 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:57 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:57 AM
    Sounds like they overbooked the extra leg room seats

Tweet Richard Branson @richardbranson and Virgin @Virgin

Kick up a fuss on there
    Originally posted by Lincoln Imp
    I don't suppose he gives a damn now that he's sold his controlling share to KLM/Air France for £220 million
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 30th Nov 17, 12:01 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:01 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:01 PM
    I had this recently on a Thomas Cook flight. It had kicked us out of our assigned row 10 (extra legroom next to emergency exit) and put us on Row 11, cramped.

Once I quietly mentioned to the cabin manager that sitting elderly people with sticks on an emergency exit row could be viewed as a breach of CAA regulation regarding people sitting in emergency rows, we got swapped
    • richardw
    • By richardw 30th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 18,340 Posts
    • 7,588 Thanks
    richardw
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 12:04 PM
    Send a notice before starting an action in the small claims court to them giving 14 days notice if they don't refund the money.

Otherwise they'll just fob you off.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 30th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 4,114 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    I don't suppose he gives a damn now that he's sold his controlling share to KLM/Air France for £220 million
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Ha probably not but no harm in trying ..Bad publicity and all that
    Have a nice day
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 30th Nov 17, 2:27 PM
    • 5,424 Posts
    • 6,197 Thanks
    malkie76
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:27 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:27 PM
    When we get on the plane, people are sat in the allegedly inoperable seats. Cue much back and forthing with VA and myself with no satisfactory explanation for this given.
    Originally posted by cejr9
    It's likely that the seats were inoperable when you checked in, according to their systems, but then fixed by an engineer prior to your boarding. The seats were then probably given to people who checked in late and were at risk of being offloaded for a later flight.
    Legal team on standby
    • CM66
    • By CM66 30th Nov 17, 4:38 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 2,984 Thanks
    CM66
    If you paid by credit card call the company and get them to do a chargeback, its probably quicker than waiting on Virgin by the sounds of it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter