Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • helmie
    • By helmie 29th Nov 17, 5:25 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    helmie
    Monthly road tax
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:25 PM
    Monthly road tax 29th Nov 17 at 5:25 PM
    Next year I will be largely abroad with only a couple of visits back to the UK. On these occasions, it will still be pretty useful to keep my car, so I guess I will hold on to it. Where I live would make taxis, hiring, selling and buying a pain. Its an old car so any missed depreciation, and the cost of a gap in no claims would probably not be cost effective.

However, now that road tax is all electronic, and I am paying by direct debit, is it possible and legal to just set up a DD for the month you need it then cancel it and SORN the vehicle when you leave again?

In the old days of taking paper to the post office it would not be worth the hassle, but I could save a couple of hundred quid with just a few logins per year.

cheers,
    H.
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 29th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    • 4,939 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    Will cost you in the long run, Each time you tax it or Sorn it its more than likely you will lose a month, unless you are doing both on the last day of the month each time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin