Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chris Mas
    • By Chris Mas 29th Nov 17, 5:03 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Chris Mas
    Fairy, Angel or Star?
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:03 PM
    Fairy, Angel or Star? 29th Nov 17 at 5:03 PM
    Or something else on top of your Christmas Tree?

We have a Star.
    Looking Forward To The 25th Of December
Page 1
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 6:00 PM
    • 31,205 Posts
    • 115,044 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:00 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:00 PM

We have a Star.
    Originally posted by Chris Mas
    When I did Christmas, and had a tree, it would depend on the theme.

One year it was a bird theme, so it was a bird.

Another year it was a pig. I forget what the theme was that year.

Another year it was a toy motorbike.

Fairies et al are soooooo pass, darlink!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 29th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    • 13,649 Posts
    • 53,681 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:05 PM
    We traditionally have a fairy, ours is an old Pippa doll of mine which my mum redressed as the tree fairy when we couldn't find the usual one, way a back in the distant past. I'd just got the Christmas stuff out and she is looking quite a lot the worse for wear now. Just like last year I'm considering re vamping her and giving her a new dress and look but mostly likely won't do. Sentiment and memory will no doubt win out over how she looks.

I do have a couple of smaller trees which if I can be bothered to put them up will be decorated on in dragons and dinosaurs, one in llamas and cactus.
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 31,205 Posts
    • 115,044 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    We traditionally have a fairy, ours is an old Pippa doll of mine which my mum redressed as the tree fairy when we couldn't find the usual one, way a back in the distant past. I'd just got the Christmas stuff out and she is looking quite a lot the worse for wear now. Just like last year I'm considering re vamping her and giving her a new dress and look but mostly likely won't do. Sentiment and memory will no doubt win out over how she looks.

I do have a couple of smaller trees which if I can be bothered to put them up will be decorated on in dragons and dinosaurs, one in llamas and cactus.
    Originally posted by Mrs Bones
    I like it! You're in the groove, Boney old bean!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 29th Nov 17, 6:12 PM
    • 13,649 Posts
    • 53,681 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:12 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:12 PM
    Maybe we should give a thought to that poor first fairy who found herself on top of a tree and remember the sad tale. Also of course to annoy Pogofish....

CHRISTMAS TRADITION EXPLAINED:🎄🎄🎄🎄🎁🎁🎁🎁🎄
    In early December, four of Santa's elves got sick. When the trainee elves could not produce toys as fast as the regular ones, Santa began to feel some Pre-Christmas pressure.
    Then Mrs. Claus mentioned that her Mother was coming to visit, stressing Santa even more.
    He went to harness the reindeer, and found that three of them were about to give birth and two others had gotten loose and were out, Heaven knows where.
    Then, when he began load-testing the sleigh, one of the floorboards cracked; the bag of toys fell to the ground and all the toys were scattered.
    Frustrated, Santa went back in the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum.
    Opening the cupboard, he discovered the elves had drunk all the cider and hidden the liquor. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped the cider jug, breaking it into hundreds of little glass pieces all over the kitchen floor. He got the broom and found the mice had eaten all the straw off the end of the broom
    Just then the doorbell rang. An irritated Santa marched to the door, yanked it open, only to find a little Angel with a great big Christmas tree.
    The Angel said very cheerfully, 'Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn't this a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?'
    And so began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree.

So there you go a tale not a lot of people know.
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 29th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:13 PM
    If she's survived another year in the box in the loft, then a golden angel.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    • 31,205 Posts
    • 115,044 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:15 PM
    Maybe we should give a thought to that poor first fairy who found herself on top of a tree and remember the sad tale. Also of course to annoy Pogofish....

CHRISTMAS TRADITION EXPLAINED:🎄🎄🎄🎄🎁🎁🎁🎁🎄
    In early December, four of Santa's elves got sick. When the trainee elves could not produce toys as fast as the regular ones, Santa began to feel some Pre-Christmas pressure.
    Then Mrs. Claus mentioned that her Mother was coming to visit, stressing Santa even more.
    He went to harness the reindeer, and found that three of them were about to give birth and two others had gotten loose and were out, Heaven knows where.
    Then, when he began load-testing the sleigh, one of the floorboards cracked; the bag of toys fell to the ground and all the toys were scattered.
    Frustrated, Santa went back in the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum.
    Opening the cupboard, he discovered the elves had drunk all the cider and hidden the liquor. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped the cider jug, breaking it into hundreds of little glass pieces all over the kitchen floor. He got the broom and found the mice had eaten all the straw off the end of the broom
    Just then the doorbell rang. An irritated Santa marched to the door, yanked it open, only to find a little Angel with a great big Christmas tree.
    The Angel said very cheerfully, 'Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn't this a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?'
    And so began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree.

So there you go a tale not a lot of people know.

That set off another apoplectic coughing fit!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 29th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 13,027 Posts
    • 49,495 Thanks
    joansgirl
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    No fairy, no star, no angel, no tree.
    I hate Christmas.
    Bah Humbug
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 29th Nov 17, 6:21 PM
    • 13,649 Posts
    • 53,681 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    I like it! You're in the groove, Boney old bean!
    Originally posted by Pyxis

This is a photo from the other year I put the dragon tree up.

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    • 31,205 Posts
    • 115,044 Thanks
    Pyxis

This is a photo from the other year I put the dragon tree up.

I love the dragon! It looks like a baby fruit bat!

But but but, why haven't you got a skelington on the top of your tree? Eh? Eh?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 6:32 PM
    • 31,205 Posts
    • 115,044 Thanks
    Pyxis
    No fairy, no star, no angel, no tree.
    I hate Christmas.
    Bah Humbug
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    You could have a little tree with sheep and striped sweets on it!

(Think about it, think about it!)
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 29th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    • 13,649 Posts
    • 53,681 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    I love the dragon! It looks like a baby fruit bat!

But but but, why haven't you got a skelington on the top of your tree? Eh? Eh?
    Originally posted by Pyxis

Not sure, I guess I just link Skelington more closely with Halloween. Where as dinosaurs, dragons, llamas and cactus just seem far more traditional and suitable for christmas somehow.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th Nov 17, 6:37 PM
    • 31,205 Posts
    • 115,044 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Not sure, I guess I just link Skelington more closely with Halloween. Where as dinosaurs, dragons, llamas and cactus just seem far more traditional and suitable for christmas somehow.
    Silly me, of course!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 29th Nov 17, 6:38 PM
    • 13,649 Posts
    • 53,681 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    If she's survived another year in the box in the loft, then a golden angel.
    Originally posted by Hedgehog99

She's not going back in the loft. It's getting more difficult with each year to get in the loft in order to reach the decorations and last night I fell down the ladder, so bruised and sore today I've decided they are not going back up. Going to sort them out, splurge on some plastic boxes instead of any old card board box I can find and then find somewhere to store them in the pantry.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 29th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 12,780 Posts
    • 12,536 Thanks
    Chris25
    we have the fairy that I had as a child atop our tree. She's had several changes of elastic band to keep a little star in her hand, and I've had to clean her crepe paper dress with talc a few times too - and stick her hair back on, come to think of it!
    • Judi
    • By Judi 29th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 15,475 Posts
    • 63,956 Thanks
    Judi
    No fairy, no star, no angel but the tree is only 3ft tall but does have lights..
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 29th Nov 17, 8:48 PM
    • 8,355 Posts
    • 28,078 Thanks
    fairy lights
    When I was growing up we always had a really naff fairy on the top of the tree.
    Now I've grown up and left home and have a Christmas tree of my own, I still throw a tantrum if my parents try to replace her with anything else
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 29th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 8,063 Thanks
    pogofish

We have a Star.
    Originally posted by Chris Mas
    There is a Christmas Forum here..!
    • calicocat
    • By calicocat 30th Nov 17, 5:37 AM
    • 4,795 Posts
    • 22,428 Thanks
    calicocat
    This year I have a frog wearing a crown on the top of my tree. I get a bit bored with the whole fairy/ star thing.

In the past I have had a bulldog wearing a dress, a black cat, a corgi wearing a tiara, sometimes I have left it bare. I have had a star in the past, but never an angel or fairy.

The frog looks really good though...its rocking the whole look quite nicely. . Completely random, and nothing to do with the rest of the decorations on it.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early..
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 30th Nov 17, 6:56 AM
    • 31,205 Posts
    • 115,044 Thanks
    Pyxis
    This year I have a frog wearing a crown on the top of my tree. I get a bit bored with the whole fairy/ star thing.

In the past I have had a bulldog wearing a dress, a black cat, a corgi wearing a tiara, sometimes I have left it bare. I have had a star in the past, but never an angel or fairy.

The frog looks really good though...its rocking the whole look quite nicely. . Completely random, and nothing to do with the rest of the decorations on it.
    Originally posted by calicocat
    I love the idea of a random frog!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter