Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 29th Nov 17, 4:59 PM
    • 980Posts
    • 11,876Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Help! Angel wings nativity
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:59 PM
    Help! Angel wings nativity 29th Nov 17 at 4:59 PM
    Hi all

My daughter is panicking as DGS is to be an angel in the nursery nativity play. We can do most of the costume but angel wings? What materials would be best to use and how to attach them? The white part of his costume is a t shirt. He is three and a half and little for his age. I have searched on line and there is nothing suitable. We have to do it by 9th December. No pressure then!

Hoping for ideas as I am not handy at things like this!

Thanks

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
Page 1
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 29th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 6,912 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    Large paper plates, attached to a sort of harness made of white tape. Best of all, treat everyone to large pizzas and use the white polystyrene circles.

Also, ask at the school gate what everyone else is doing!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 29th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    When mine were young a pair of wire coat hangers pulled into shape with white tights stretched over them with a bit of PVA and glitter worked - these were fixed to white ‘braces’ made from a but up shirt.

Have you checked Poundland etc or any kids dressing up/toy shop places.

Last resort - net curtain glued to white t shirt with elastic wrist bracelets (scrunchies)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 29th Nov 17, 5:23 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 6,539 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:23 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:23 PM
    Like the paper plate idea, this is a pic from Pinterest:

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 29th Nov 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 6,539 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:25 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:25 PM
    Or loo roll?:

Instructions: http://athriftydiva.com/diy-angel-wings-costume-tutorial/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 29th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 34,168 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    ^^^^

Lovely x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • Witless
    • By Witless 29th Nov 17, 5:57 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    Witless
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:57 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:57 PM
    Check out the bay using "dressing up angel's wings": several for a couple of quid - even if you don't buy they'll give you some ideas.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 29th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 11,876 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    Thanks everyone-some brilliant ideas and suggestions.

Gintot
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 29th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 40,646 Thanks
    newgirly
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:09 PM
    Wire coat hangers bent and then silver tinsel wrapped around, attach over shoulders and round chest with elastic?
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £17,514.78 paid so far

Mortgage £47,354 years 8 months left. Total owed £62,871.22 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 37lb/22lb gone.
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 29th Nov 17, 7:53 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    Or a bit of spray glitter over the plates/tissue/white tights, whatever you decide to do?
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Nov 17, 9:15 PM
    • 24,208 Posts
    • 50,916 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Check out the bay using "dressing up angel's wings": several for a couple of quid - even if you don't buy they'll give you some ideas.
    Originally posted by Witless
    Or Poundland if you donít have the patience to wait for postage.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 30th Nov 17, 12:26 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 11,876 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    MandM90 going for the Pinterest paper plate idea. Thanks for the heads up it's brilliant!

Thanks everyone for your interest and help.

Gintot
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 30th Nov 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 9,096 Thanks
    kathrynha
    A3 sheet of white funky foam (available from hobbycraft and probably other craft shops), cut in to wings shape (I used google images to find a wing shape I liked), silver tinsel stuck round the edge, then a large loop of elastic stuck on it with a strong glue to make straps.

Funky foam is great because it is soft and flexible so he can run around in it without risk of hurting himself or others, and without breaking the wings
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 56 lb
    Last updated: 11th December 2017
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 30th Nov 17, 3:04 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 12,433 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    At that age I would expect any self-respecting child to rip the wings off, eat bits of them and then refuse to go on stage.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,950Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin