Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jhpt
    • By Jhpt 29th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Jhpt
    Awful repair job by Landlord's Contractors
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    Awful repair job by Landlord's Contractors 29th Nov 17 at 4:42 PM
    Hello everybody,

I live in a rented property, and we unfortunately required the boiler to be changed. Our landlord was fantastic, organised for a Combi unit to be installed . This is where it goes Pete Tong.

I was woken at 8am (I was working nights at this point) with a frantic call from the estate agent shouting down the phone the contractors were on the way and we MUST let them in (otherwise the Landlord would be charged for their time) - being pretty normal, despite not getting 24 hours notice, we of course let them in. At this point we had been told it was less than a days job and we'd have hot water/heating by that night. Low and behold.. we had no hot water/heating, until the next night. Showering etc impossible and as this happened in early November pretty cold!

Secondly, the contractors were terrible - they left the place in an absolute state, dust and mess and walls/carpets marked every single room, they replace a boxed in unit with a Combi shoved in a corner (not boxed in), they'd used 3 towels to clean up a leak and left soaking, they'd used our hoover to vacuum up water. I even had the tenant in the flat beneath me come up to complain there was water pouring through her ceiling - thankfully the Chuckle Brothers were still on site to rectify this mistake.

After they left, we realised we STILL had no heating, water OK. Without knowing the technical ins/outs they'd forgotten to activate/ switch on the boiler. We had another contractor out for this (paid for by estate agent). Since the install we've had the other contractors out 3x - to "activate the boiler", to re-pressurise it and then to show me how to re-pressurise it, as well as being told we now needed to get new radiators throughout as they can't handle the Combi pressure.

Long story short, I feel that we (as tenant's) should not be obliged to pay a full months rent, seeing as in one calender month we have been without heating/hot water a total of 5 nights, huge amounts of time cleaning the flat, have had 3 bath towels ruined, have had our hoover used (without permission) to vacuum up water and have had to go and purchase new inner lining, and have had a load of distress and disruption a) due to less than 24 hours notice of the install and b) quater-backing "operation recovery" ... Do we have legal rights here? We've asked the Landlord (via EA) for a 25% off considering the above factors.

Thank you!
Page 2
    • diane***
    • By diane*** 30th Nov 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    diane***
    my son shares with 5 others, one is unemployed, often drunk and likes drugs, he steals from the others, he is lead tenant, he has emailed my son to say he will return the money he has taken, he has not as yet and continues to steal food , my son has taken over collecting the rents from the others and paying the landlord, the chief tenant has been reported time and time again to the landlord but the landlord tells them to report him to the police.... it's not his problem, my son has asked to be let out of his agreement so he can move without paying 2 rents, the landlord has threatened him with court if he does not pay until his contract expires.... the landlord has taken no action against the lead tenant and thief, my son has kept his emails confessing to the thefts and offer of reimbursement.... landlords suck
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 30th Nov 17, 10:50 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    my son shares with 5 others, one is unemployed, often drunk and likes drugs, he steals from the others, he is lead tenant, he has emailed my son to say he will return the money he has taken, he has not as yet and continues to steal food , my son has taken over collecting the rents from the others and paying the landlord, the chief tenant has been reported time and time again to the landlord but the landlord tells them to report him to the police.... it's not his problem, my son has asked to be let out of his agreement so he can move without paying 2 rents, the landlord has threatened him with court if he does not pay until his contract expires.... the landlord has taken no action against the lead tenant and thief, my son has kept his emails confessing to the thefts and offer of reimbursement.... landlords suck
    Originally posted by diane***
    Not sure what this has to do with the OP question? There's venting board for posts like this. And for every crap landlord there's a crap tenant to be fair!

In response the the OP question, you can't expect anything more than an apology. Things happen, you could easily have employed the chuckle brothers yourself in error and be suffering the same as a home owner. Being a tenant doesn't mean special treatment above and beyond that of a homeowner (no matter how you feel about the rip off rent as you see it). Many of us go a week or two without a boiler when one gives up the ghost and we have to wait for a repalcement, I know I have. That's what electric heaters and a kettle are for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,140Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter