Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Branagorn
    • By Branagorn 29th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Branagorn
    CAT B Salvage (Motorcycle)
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    CAT B Salvage (Motorcycle) 29th Nov 17 at 4:39 PM
    I was hit by a reversing car back in October, and even have CCTV footage to prove I have no fault.

The claim is currently being dealt with by an underwriter, as it is non-fault, my insurance company sub contract that work.

Its is taking a long time, however it appears to be coming to an end. I have received a letter from the underwriter, stating that the bike had been declared a CAT B write off, and that a payment has been released, with my bikes pre-accident value deemed to be £1500. However it is worth £150 in scrap. So I'm being given £1350, and the salvage returned to me.

I have contacted the underwriter to stress that I do not want the bike returned if it is a CAT B write off, as it is impossible to put it back on the road. Not only that, but I do not have the time/skill/tools/space required to break down the bike, and sell on the salvage to make up the £150 they have deemed it to be worth. Furthermore, I feel this effort/task of obtaining the final segment of the full pre-accident value, should not be my worry.

The underwriter however, are firm that their site (where the bike is currently held) do not deal with CAT B vehicles, and will be returning the bike to me. Surely this is incorrect?
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 29th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 17,484 Posts
    • 11,720 Thanks
    molerat
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    Complain to your insurer as the first step.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 29th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 2,339 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:58 PM
    Whose underwriter are you dealing with - yours or the third parties?
    • Branagorn
    • By Branagorn 29th Nov 17, 5:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Branagorn
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:04 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:04 PM
    I have raised this issue with them. But they do not seem to have experience with this, ti categorically tell me one way or another if this is an acceptable outcome.
    • Branagorn
    • By Branagorn 29th Nov 17, 5:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Branagorn
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:07 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:07 PM
    Whose underwriter are you dealing with - yours or the third parties?
    Originally posted by Aretnap
    I am dealing with my own insurance's underwriter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

4,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you always use soap (if available) while washing your hands after going to the loo in a public toilet?

• RT @mark76stewart: Sledging!? I?ll say! That?s worse sledging than the Aussies @MartinSLewis !! £6.99 each or 2 for £20 @WHSmith ?? https:?

• RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• Follow Martin