Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 18Thanks
    marfy
    Bought car with heated windscreen, doesn't have one
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    Bought car with heated windscreen, doesn't have one 29th Nov 17 at 3:31 PM
    Hi

I bought a used car two weeks ago (from a large dealership) which was advertised as having a heated windscreen. I've been unable to find how to work it as there is no button in the car and the manual doesn't mention anything. I've tested all the buttons that show a heating symbol - the seats, steering wheel and back window all heat up nicely - but nothing works for the windscreen.

I've emailed the dealership to ask if there's something I'm not finding and if they can explain how to work the heated windscreen and I'm waiting on a reply.

If it's the worst and the windscreen isn't in fact heated what are my rights? I've thought about insisting they change it to a heated windscreen but that may then affect my insurance: would they replace it with another heated windscreen if it got damaged, or would they only replace it with a standard windscreen? Would it affect my premium? What can I do if the dealership refuses to do anything?

I do have a screenshot of the advert which states the car has a heated windscreen.

Sorry if I sound like a numpty but I'm not well up on technical stuff.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Page 3
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 30th Nov 17, 5:12 PM
    • 15,765 Posts
    • 14,057 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I live in Scotland and we get morning frost very often. The way my car is parked, the front faces towards the house, away from the rising sun and so is the slowest to defrost. I can't change the direction in which the car is parked so a heated windscreen is a bonus to me.
    Originally posted by marfy
    Why can't you park the other way round, so the rear screen faces the house?
    • takman
    • By takman 30th Nov 17, 5:23 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    takman
    I stuck to 2014 model as the layout of the controls was the same as my old car (Corsas manufactured from 2015 had a different layout) and I'm not that confident a driver and getting on in years a bit so don't want to go for a 2015.
    I live in Scotland and we get morning frost very often. The way my car is parked, the front faces towards the house, away from the rising sun and so is the slowest to defrost. I can't change the direction in which the car is parked so a heated windscreen is a bonus to me.
    Are you sure you should be driving a car at all?. Your not a very confident driver, you can't drive a car controls in a different place and you can't park the car a different way.
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 30th Nov 17, 5:38 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 8,512 Thanks
    wymondham
    ok, good luck with getting this sorted (still think jug of water is easier..)
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 30th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Ganga
    You're not missing much. Can't really see the point of having one. I specced and got one with my lease Ford, but its never just the windscreen frozen up - still have to sort the side windows making it all for nothing. In low sun the lines make visibility poor as well. Best use a jug of warm water - sort the whole car in a tick!
    Originally posted by wymondham

Can also crack the glass,screen de-icer is safer.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 30th Nov 17, 6:35 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    My last two Freelanders had heated front screens - 2004 and 2006 models.

My current car a 2015 BMW doesn't - and I don't miss it.

Just turn the air-con/climate control to max set the air distribution to screen only and make sure the fan is on max - and hey presto the screen is clear in pretty much the same time as a heated screen does it.

Fortunately the BMW has a 'front-screen button' that does all the setting for you - so pressing it again and switching that off returns the climate control settings to normal.

I never turn the Climate Control / AC off in any car these days -especially in the Winter.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 30th Nov 17, 6:36 PM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    [/B][/U]
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I just stick a fan heater on the centre armrest with an extension lead and turn it on from inside the house 15 minutes before I leave.

No ice or mist on any of the windows and a nice warm cabin as a bonus.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 1st Dec 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    I just stick a fan heater on the centre armrest with an extension lead and turn it on from inside the house 15 minutes before I leave.

Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    LOL, I'm sure that is a very MSE way of defrosting a car windscreen but for most of us simply pressing a button on the dashboard and, hey presto, two minutes later a perfectly clear windscreen is by far the preferred option.

(And that's without the risk of trapping the flex in the car door or the fan falling down from the armrest or having to leave a window or door ajar to get the flex into the house... etc.)
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    LOL, I'm sure that is a very MSE way of defrosting a car windscreen but for most of us simply pressing a button on the dashboard and, hey presto, two minutes later a perfectly clear windscreen is by far the preferred option.

(And that's without the risk of trapping the flex in the car door or the fan falling down from the armrest or having to leave a window or door ajar to get the flex into the house... etc.)
    Originally posted by MobileSaver
    It actually works really well and, importantly, clears all the windows. There is an outside power point right next to the car and the flex goes in through the bottom of the tailgate. The armrest is about a 10 inches wide and flat so little chance of the heater falling off. As we found out this morning, it only takes two or three minutes to clear the windscreen, longer if you want a toasty car too.

The only issues we have ever had is very occasionally forgetting to turn the alarm motion detector off, then waking up the neighbourhood when the heater starts blowing in the morning.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 1st Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,979 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    I use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N2QQRPT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Easy to fit and remove, not experienced any frost or ice on the windscreen at all.
    Far more convenient, but not as cheap, as water or scraper though!
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 01-12-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • facade
    • By facade 1st Dec 17, 5:18 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    facade

I've done that for years too

Even suggested it on here before now, 15p worth of electric is a lot more MSE than running the engine for 10 minutes, or crashing the thing because you can't see.

However, I'd love a heated front screen to stop it misting up in the rain, and for when it is frozen up at work. As mentioned before, you really do wonder why only Ford think you'd want something so genuinely useful, the other manufacturers still fit expensive useless gimmicks like coloured dashboards, alloy wheels and extra foglights instead.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 1st Dec 17, 6:00 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    Iceweasel

Even suggested it on here before now, 15p worth of electric is a lot more MSE than running the engine for 10 minutes, or crashing the thing because you can't see.

However, I'd love a heated front screen to stop it misting up in the rain, and for when it is frozen up at work. As mentioned before, you really do wonder why only Ford think you'd want something so genuinely useful, the other manufacturers still fit expensive useless gimmicks like coloured dashboards, alloy wheels and extra foglights instead.
    Originally posted by facade
    As I said I no longer need a heated front screen - there is a button on the dash for front screen de-frosting and it does not involve any heating elements in the glass.

I wouldn't swap any of my 'gimmicks' as you call them for old technology such as a heated front screen.

Been there- had one in two cars - now moved on.

AC/CC and the correct settings available at the touch of a programmed button clears the screen in the same time as a heated one does.

From the manual:

Defrosting windows and removing condensation

Press the button.
    This removes ice and condensation quickly from the windscreen and the front side windows.
    To do this, point the side nozzles at the side windows if necessary.
    The air flow can be adapted when the program is active.
    If there is condensation on the window, switch on the cooling function as well or press the AUTO button to use the condensation sensor.

Hopefully other manufacturers will follow suit if they have not already done so.
    Last edited by Iceweasel; 01-12-2017 at 6:06 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 1st Dec 17, 6:32 PM
    • 15,765 Posts
    • 14,057 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Where's the heat for that coming from, lukewarmwaterweasel? The coolant certainly won't have enough that quickly.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Dec 17, 7:16 PM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Where's the heat for that coming from, lukewarmwaterweasel? The coolant certainly won't have enough that quickly.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    My car has a 1kw electric heating element built into the heater for instant heat. It still doesn't clear a screen as fast as embedded heating elements though.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 1st Dec 17, 8:19 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I am reliably informed that I have:

"an electric (PTC) heating element in the HVAC system. It's the way diesel motors can get some cabin heat quite quickly."
    • takman
    • By takman 2nd Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    takman

Originally posted by facade
    Actually I've just worked it out and one of my car uses 0.2 gallons an hour at tick over which works out at 14.67p of fuel for 10 minutes. It doesn't have heating elements in the front screen but it does have a quick clear button and that will easily clear all windows in less than 10 minutes.
    The climate control system also means that the windscreen never mists up when driving under any conditions as the A/C is always on.

But from a MSE perspective let's say that it costs 20p of fuel to clear the car windscreen. If the fan heater cost £15 to buy then you would need to do it everyday for 8 years (saving 5p everyday) before your in profit and saving money. So I don't think it's a particularly good from a money saving perspective.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,483 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Actually I've just worked it out and one of my car uses 0.2 gallons an hour at tick over which works out at 14.67p of fuel for 10 minutes.
    Originally posted by takman
    How much fuel does it use in the 10 minutes after just being started in sub zero temperatures? Just because it doesn’t (presumably) have a manual choke knob, doesn’t mean extra fuel isn’t pumped into it until it is up to normal operating temperature.

But from a MSE perspective let's say that it costs 20p of fuel to clear the car windscreen. If the fan heater cost £15 to buy then you would need to do it everyday for 8 years (saving 5p everyday) before your in profit and saving money. So I don't think it's a particularly good from a money saving perspective.
    Originally posted by takman
    But if you are on an Economy 7 tarrif and already own a fan heater that is also used for other purposes apart from heating your car, does it then become much more attractive from a money saving perspective?

From an environmental perspective, it’s a no brainier.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 02-12-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 2nd Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    [/B][/U]
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I've been using a kettle of hot (not boiling water) to do that for over 30 years without ever cracking the glass. The only issue I have is I sometimes get a row for leaving the kettle inside the front door instead of returning it to the kitchen.
    • takman
    • By takman 2nd Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 2,415 Thanks
    takman
    How much fuel does it use in the 10 minutes after just being started in sub zero temperatures? Just because it doesnít (presumably) have a manual choke knob, doesnít mean extra fuel isnít pumped into it until it is up to normal operating temperature.
    That 0.2 gallons an hour is taken directly from the display in my car. After it is warm it will read 0.1 gallons an hour.

But if you are on an Economy 7 tarrif and already own a fan heater that is also used for other purposes apart from heating your car, does it then become much more attractive from a money saving perspective?

From an environmental perspective, itís a no brainier.
    Yes I agree their is an environmental benefit. Also in those circumstances you will save money but it's still only going to be very small amounts considering you only need to do it when it's really cold. It's definetly not something that would be any good for the majority of people.

If you really wanted to save money and the environment you could use a scraper and cloth on every window.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 2nd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    firefox1956
    I just chuck an old sheet over the windscreen & tuck it into each of the front doors then close them............
    Works.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 2nd Dec 17, 1:35 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    debtdebt
    It's in the winter that I always miss my Range Rover with the Webasto fuel burning fuel heater. Either timer or remote controlled. You could turn it on to pre heat the cabin and engine before you even got into the car. That coupled with heated seats/steering wheel and winter tyre made you feel unstoppable in the cold.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

996Posts Today

5,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin