Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 18Thanks
    marfy
    Bought car with heated windscreen, doesn't have one
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    Bought car with heated windscreen, doesn't have one 29th Nov 17 at 3:31 PM
    Hi

I bought a used car two weeks ago (from a large dealership) which was advertised as having a heated windscreen. I've been unable to find how to work it as there is no button in the car and the manual doesn't mention anything. I've tested all the buttons that show a heating symbol - the seats, steering wheel and back window all heat up nicely - but nothing works for the windscreen.

I've emailed the dealership to ask if there's something I'm not finding and if they can explain how to work the heated windscreen and I'm waiting on a reply.

If it's the worst and the windscreen isn't in fact heated what are my rights? I've thought about insisting they change it to a heated windscreen but that may then affect my insurance: would they replace it with another heated windscreen if it got damaged, or would they only replace it with a standard windscreen? Would it affect my premium? What can I do if the dealership refuses to do anything?

I do have a screenshot of the advert which states the car has a heated windscreen.

Sorry if I sound like a numpty but I'm not well up on technical stuff.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 29th Nov 17, 5:35 PM
    • 11,061 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    Iím pretty sure only fords have the heated windscreens. If it doesnít have the faint lines down the screen it wonít be heated. The heated screen in the advert probably meant the rear screen.
    Originally posted by kev25v6
    I'm afraid not Ford and some Ford range cars eg Jagar have the element type heated windscreens on some models, Vax did start advertising them too on the latest Corsa, My VW has heated winscreen without the visible elements that many of you describe, on mine there is no physical button to operate it, it is tucked in the menu for the air con and can be set to automatic or function as part of the screen defrost with the blower.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 5:38 PM
    • 13,254 Posts
    • 17,469 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    The patent was for the very, very thin heating wires covering the entire viewing area - which the Triplex ones don't. They also draw a heck of a lot more current, so clear quickly.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    You mean like this one? It's even got the wiggly wires. US Patent granted to the General Electric Company in 1973.

The Triplex Safety Glass Co US patent application with wires going to the edge...

LAMINATED TRANSPARENT PANELS INCORPORATING HEATING WIRES Original Filed July 15, 1963

Last edited by Gloomendoom; 29-11-2017 at 6:25 PM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 7:24 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marfy
    Does yours look like this...?

(Old model, won't have heated screen)

...or like this...?

(New model, will have heated screen)
    Not quite like either but more like the first one judging by the shape of the bonnet, though the headlights are the same shape as the second.

It looks like the one on this ebay listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-Vauxhall-Corsa-LIMITED-EDITION-Petrol-red-Manual/253166028922?hash=item3af1df087a:g:Hs8AAOSwOrxZw0L h
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 29th Nov 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4,262 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    PUT you VIN Nr. into the de-coder to find out the exact build date and all the specifications/options/extras that the car left the factory with.

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Opel

and before anyone comments - yes Vauxhall = Opel
    • JamoLew
    • By JamoLew 30th Nov 17, 6:59 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    JamoLew
    Just an addition to the conversation:

My wife has a 2011 Land Rover that has a heated windscreen so they are definitely more widely used than people think.

I would have thought if you have one fitted when it is none standard, your insurance company would def need to know as it may affect any excess payable for windscreen replacement/repair
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 30th Nov 17, 8:02 AM
    • 15,714 Posts
    • 14,030 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Just an addition to the conversation:

My wife has a 2011 Land Rover that has a heated windscreen so they are definitely more widely used than people think.
    Originally posted by JamoLew
    Bear in mind LR were part of Ford from 2000-2008, so they did get the quickclear screens much earlier than non-Ford brands.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 30th Nov 17, 8:20 AM
    • 13,254 Posts
    • 17,469 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Bear in mind LR were part of Ford from 2000-2008, so they did get the quickclear screens much earlier than non-Ford brands.
    They were offering heated windscreens long before Ford bought them.

Standard on most 1990 model Range Rovers or a £149.50 option. They were also available on Discoveries and 90/110s

I actually own a 1972 range Rover with one fitted. It was probably fitted after manufacture but I have owned it since the early 1990's.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 30-11-2017 at 8:52 AM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 30th Nov 17, 8:35 AM
    • 15,714 Posts
    • 14,030 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They were offering heated windscreens long before Ford bought them.

I actually own a 1972 range Rover with one fitted. It is probably an option fitted after manufacture but I have owned it since the early 1990's.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    The Triplex ones have already been mentioned.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 30th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 7,441 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Fascinating stuff... I had vaguely read about the Triplex ones but didn't know others were around until the Ford Quickclear - maybe that says something about Ford's advertising power? I have it on my Focus III and it's worth it - not just for defrosting but for fast de-misting on damp autumn mornings and evenings. So if it's a deal breaker for marfy then perhaps a) get as much money back from the dealer as possible - pointing to the ad b) look to flip the Corsa quickly for a slightly later model with the screen or a Ka/Fiesta that has it?
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 30th Nov 17, 9:23 AM
    • 13,254 Posts
    • 17,469 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    The Triplex ones have already been mentioned.
    Are they Triplex? They look exactly like the Ford ones with wiggly elements covering the full screen. This is a close-up pic of the screen on mine.

Edit: Had a look last night. It is a Triplex screen.

They were advertised as Rapid De-Icer Heated Front Screens.

1989 Range Rover brochure.

Last edited by Gloomendoom; 01-12-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 30th Nov 17, 9:26 AM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 21,004 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    If the advert stated heated windscreen and the dealer confirmed this, I'd be wanting a heated windscreen.

I have a 2007 Ford CMax and LOVE my heated windscreen! I wouldn't buy a car without one now! So much quicker getting on frosty mornings.

Speak to the dealer and see if you can reach a compromise.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 30th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    I was pleasantly surprised when I bought my Mini that it was an option for only about £110 as I also didn't realise Ford's patent had run out years ago, but then shocked that almost all of the second hand ones the dealer had didn't have it and apparently most people never spec it!? Mad. I had my first two cars with it, then 8.5 years without it so I'm very glad to have it back.

I'm very surprised also OP that you couldn't see just by looking at the car if it had it. It's very obvious in the glass, the little wiggles of wire.
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 30th Nov 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    Indout96
    I'm very surprised also OP that you couldn't see just by looking at the car if it had it. It's very obvious in the glass, the little wiggles of wire.
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30

The new ones are a lot harder to see, wifes new Volvo has it and unless in the sun is hitting the screen at certain angles you would not notice at all. Far better than her 2015 Focus with it.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • daydotz
    • By daydotz 30th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    daydotz
    all cars technically have a heated windscreen it sounds like a typical advert that lists even the pointless features we take for granted & you miss understood that
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 30th Nov 17, 2:56 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    all cars technically have a heated windscreen it sounds like a typical advert that lists even the pointless features we take for granted & you miss understood that
    Originally posted by daydotz
    That's not how consumer law works. If an advert is misleading, then it's misleading, it is not up to the consumer to be knowledgeable about the market. Heaters on cars stopped being optional in the 1960s so to suggest that the advertiser could get away with listing the car heater as a special option is nonsensical. If there is ambiguity, then the advert will be interpreted in favour of the consumer.

My advice to the OP is to put the complaint in writing immediately so that there is no confusion about your position and simply ask how they intend to rectify your position given you were specifically interested in that option and confirmed with the salesman that the feature was fitted.

Your options are essentially to return the car - but they would be entitled to charge you a reasonable amount for your use (but not for the loss of one owner count in the V5) - or accept a refund of some amount, assuming that it is impractical to fit a heated window (which would be a new windscreen, plus retro-fitting wiring and switch gear for it, probably several hundred pounds to do for something that might be less than £100 as a factory fit).

It is difficult to tell what features are fitted with a car - most car websites tend to talk up the high end features, and the manual includes all features. Also, often these days features are hidden away behind option menus in software, so it is not reasonable to expect the man in the street to be able to know what is fitted to a car and they are entitled to rely on the information of the salesman - it is not a buyer beware situation.
    • marfy
    • By marfy 30th Nov 17, 3:00 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marfy
    Thanks for all the advice.

The salesman has replied, sending me a screenshot of the controls in a Ford car, leaving me to figure out which one is meant to heat the windscreen. Down to a choice of two, neither of which my car has.

I looked for wiggly lines on the windscreen as suggested and there are none at all.

The Vin Decoderz website just comes up as 'Bad Gateway' when I input VIN.

Current state of play; I've emailed the salesman again to say I don't have any of the buttons, sent him a pic of my controls and asked him if I'm missing anything. I agree that if I insisted they replace the windscreen with a heated one, this would affect my insurance premium and, if I got a crack in the screen, it would only be replaced by a standard windscreen.

I found the idea of a heated windscreen attractive due to living in Scotland though it wasn't something I was searching for when I was looking to upgrade my car, but it did give this car the edge over others. I stuck to 2014 model as the layout of the controls was the same as my old car (Corsas manufactured from 2015 had a different layout) and I'm not that confident a driver and getting on in years a bit so don't want to go for a 2015.

So I'm completely flummoxed as to what to do. I guess I'd have to argue for a part refund but don't know what the difference in value is between a car with a heated windscreen and a car without, or how much it would cost the dealership to change the screen to match their description in the ad. Any ideas?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 30th Nov 17, 3:15 PM
    • 15,714 Posts
    • 14,030 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The question is not what the difference is between a Corsa D with heated screen or without - because, AIUI, the heated screen came in with the Corsa E. You can't take the difference between a Corsa D and Corsa E to be the difference in screen.

You bought a 2014 Corsa D. The ad was mistaken in suggesting it had a heated screen. Errors occur - especially around model-changes, because a 64-plate Corsa could be either model, one with, one without. There is no figure you can point to for a value difference, because it wasn't available on your model of car. So... keep the car, as is, or return it?
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 30th Nov 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 7,441 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Thanks for all the advice.

The salesman has replied, sending me a screenshot of the controls in a Ford car, leaving me to figure out which one is meant to heat the windscreen. Down to a choice of two, neither of which my car has.
    Originally posted by marfy
    I don't think any Corsa has Ford controls But the switch image would most likely be a windscreen (with curves top and bottom {the icon for a rear screen is rectangular}) and wiggly arrows.

Like Adrian sez - if you can't point at the catalogue and say "Heated Screen Option = £150 so I want £150 discount" then you may have to stick a finger in the air and challenge them.

If you really can't face swapping to the newer model with heated screen because the controls are different then my other idea of getting a Fiesta is off the ideas board then...
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 30th Nov 17, 4:46 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 8,498 Thanks
    wymondham
    You're not missing much. Can't really see the point of having one. I specced and got one with my lease Ford, but its never just the windscreen frozen up - still have to sort the side windows making it all for nothing. In low sun the lines make visibility poor as well. Best use a jug of warm water - sort the whole car in a tick!
    • marfy
    • By marfy 30th Nov 17, 5:09 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marfy
    You're not missing much. Can't really see the point of having one. I specced and got one with my lease Ford, but its never just the windscreen frozen up - still have to sort the side windows making it all for nothing. In low sun the lines make visibility poor as well. Best use a jug of warm water - sort the whole car in a tick!
    Originally posted by wymondham
    I live in Scotland and we get morning frost very often. The way my car is parked, the front faces towards the house, away from the rising sun and so is the slowest to defrost. I can't change the direction in which the car is parked so a heated windscreen is a bonus to me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter