Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 18Thanks
    marfy
    Bought car with heated windscreen, doesn't have one
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:31 PM
    Bought car with heated windscreen, doesn't have one 29th Nov 17 at 3:31 PM
    Hi

I bought a used car two weeks ago (from a large dealership) which was advertised as having a heated windscreen. I've been unable to find how to work it as there is no button in the car and the manual doesn't mention anything. I've tested all the buttons that show a heating symbol - the seats, steering wheel and back window all heat up nicely - but nothing works for the windscreen.

I've emailed the dealership to ask if there's something I'm not finding and if they can explain how to work the heated windscreen and I'm waiting on a reply.

If it's the worst and the windscreen isn't in fact heated what are my rights? I've thought about insisting they change it to a heated windscreen but that may then affect my insurance: would they replace it with another heated windscreen if it got damaged, or would they only replace it with a standard windscreen? Would it affect my premium? What can I do if the dealership refuses to do anything?

I do have a screenshot of the advert which states the car has a heated windscreen.

Sorry if I sound like a numpty but I'm not well up on technical stuff.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 29th Nov 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 4,152 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:33 PM
    Whats the car make & model?
    Hiraeth
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 3:33 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marfy
    In addition: it's a 64 reg car, sale value was just over £6,000. Might be difficult to return it as I gave my old car in part ex which I doubt they would have anymore.
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marfy
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    It's a Vauxhall Corsa.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 29th Nov 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 4,152 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Year & type of Corsa?
    Hiraeth
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marfy
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:37 PM
    1.2 SE 3dr 2014
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 29th Nov 17, 3:44 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:44 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:44 PM
    I suspect it will be a mistake in the advert.

Does any of the paperwork you did with the dealer mention the heated windscreen? Did you ask them about it?

I would suggest if this one feature was a deal breaker you should have done a bit more to ensure it was present. I don't mean that in a rude way just my opinion.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 29th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 7,423 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:45 PM
    I've thought about insisting they change it to a heated windscreen but that may then affect my insurance: would they replace it with another heated windscreen if it got damaged, or would they only replace it with a standard windscreen?
    Originally posted by marfy
    If that model doesn't have a heated windscreen and they got the advert wrong, you could ask them to fit one - but that might not be practical, even for a main dealer. They might offer you some money back. Is the heated screen a deal-breaker or a nice extra?

I can't see it making a lot of difference to insurance unless it's not an option on that model and the insurance treats it as a modification - which would put your premium up in most cases...
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marfy
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:06 PM
    Thank you for the replies.

There is nothing in the paperwork to say it has a heated windscreen but during the test drive I did ask the salesman and he confirmed it did have one, though that would be my word against his. I would therefore be relying on the screenshot of the ad.

I live in Scotland so we get a lot of frost and the heated windscreen was a definite bonus when choosing a new car. It is important to me but I can't say for sure whether or not I would have bought this car if it hadn't had one. Probably would have looked elsewhere.
    • kev25v6
    • By kev25v6 29th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    kev25v6
    I’m pretty sure only fords have the heated windscreens. If it doesn’t have the faint lines down the screen it won’t be heated. The heated screen in the advert probably meant the rear screen.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 29th Nov 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Robisere
    Don't complain direct, first go back to the dealership and speak to someone. Just say that you " ... can't find the control or button which switches on the heated windscreen." They will either look into it and try to find it, or say something like " This model does not have a heated windscreen." In which case you can say that it was advertised as having one, producing your screenshot only if necessary.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 29th Nov 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4,659 Posts
    • 6,110 Thanks
    spadoosh
    You should bea ble to see if it is.

Looks like that with the wiggly lines down. Quite faint.

O i do miss mine.
    Don't be angry!
    • photome
    • By photome 29th Nov 17, 4:21 PM
    • 12,816 Posts
    • 8,294 Thanks
    photome
    Iím pretty sure only fords have the heated windscreens. If it doesnít have the faint lines down the screen it wonít be heated. The heated screen in the advert probably meant the rear screen.
    Originally posted by kev25v6
    It used to be only fords but I know some Skodas have them now, so I assume other manufacturers have as well
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 4:28 PM
    • 13,236 Posts
    • 17,452 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I’m pretty sure only fords have the heated windscreens.
    Originally posted by kev25v6
    The Minis that won 1966 Monte Carlo Rally had a heated windscreen. They have been an option on Land Rovers for donkeys years. Long before Ford owned them or even produced cars with them fitted.

Last edited by Gloomendoom; 29-11-2017 at 4:35 PM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 29th Nov 17, 4:29 PM
    • 15,657 Posts
    • 13,978 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Ford's patent ran out quite some while ago, and they've been rolling out across other manufacturers for several years.

I'd be very surprised if a lowish spec 3yo Corsa had one, though. Error in the advert. Insisting one be fitted is not realistic. You could try and reject or exchange, and they may play ball, but it's very unlikely to be worth the time, effort and blood pressure if they dig their heels in. For a start, you would need to immediately put the car beyond your use - physically return it - while you start the court claim for the money.

<quick google> Seems all 2015 model year production Corsas did have a heated screen as standard. So the question becomes one of whether your car is a 2015MY or 2014MY... 64-plate would be Sept 14-Feb 15 registration, so it could be either way, since the model year chance is around August production, usually.

Put the VIN into one of the online decoders - such as https://vindecoder.eu/vauxhall - and see what it says about the model year.

I presume the handbook doesn't give any clues...?
    • Muskey
    • By Muskey 29th Nov 17, 4:36 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Muskey
    There were 2 styles of Corsa available in 2014.
    The earlier style 1.2SE ran from 2006 to 2014 and does not have a heated windscreen.
    The new style 1.2SE from 2014 has a heated windscreen as standard equipment.
    Which type did you buy?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    • 13,236 Posts
    • 17,452 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Ford's patent ran out quite some while ago, and they've been rolling out across other manufacturers for several years.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

I've never been able to establish what Ford patented. There must be something about the Ford Quickclear system that differentiates it from the Triplex heated windscreens used by BMC, and presumably others, in the 1960s.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • marfy
    • By marfy 29th Nov 17, 4:52 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marfy
    Okay, to try and answer the above.

The car was first registered in September 2014.

VIN check says the model was manufactured between 2011-2015.

The ad stated "Quickclear heated windscreen" which I believe is the one for which Ford had the now expired patent.

Nothing in the handbook: I looked to see if it said where the button was for the heated windscreen but it doesn't even mention it.

Rejecting it would be difficult as they will have probably disposed of the car I used in part exchange.

I'll check the windscreen tomorrow for wiggly lines.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 29th Nov 17, 4:56 PM
    • 15,657 Posts
    • 13,978 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I've never been able to establish what Ford patented. There must be something about the Ford Quickclear system that differentiates it from the Triplex heated windscreens used by BMC, and presumably others, in the 1960s.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    The Monte Carlo-style ones...?

No, can't see any difference at all...

The patent was for the very, very thin heating wires covering the entire viewing area - which the Triplex ones don't. They also draw a heck of a lot more current, so clear quickly.

I find that there'll be some point in any journey at which I "notice" the wires, and then can't un-notice them. But I've never owned a car with them fitted, so can only assume that that would pass over time.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 29th Nov 17, 5:05 PM
    • 15,657 Posts
    • 13,978 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The car was first registered in September 2014.
    Originally posted by marfy
    Safe to guess it's the old model, then.

The ad stated "Quickclear heated windscreen" which I believe is the one for which Ford had the now expired patent.
    Quickclear is Ford's branding for the heated screen.

Nothing in the handbook: I looked to see if it said where the button was for the heated windscreen but it doesn't even mention it.
    So it's probably the old model.

Thinking about it, that was the breakpoint between the Corsa D and the Corsa E.

Does yours look like this...?

(Old model, won't have heated screen)

...or like this...?

(New model, will have heated screen)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

1,161Users online

Martin's Twitter