Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 29th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 47Thanks
    MSE Callum
    22 WOW
    MSE News: Food labelling shake-up 'to save shoppers £1 billion'
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    22 WOW
    MSE News: Food labelling shake-up 'to save shoppers £1 billion' 29th Nov 17 at 3:20 PM
    New food labelling guidance that could save shoppers £1 billion a year by prolonging the lifespan of food and stopping edible items being thrown out has been published today...
    Read the full story:
    'Food labelling shake-up 'to save shoppers £1 billion' - are you keeping the right fruit and veg in the fridge?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • Caddyman
    • By Caddyman 1st Dec 17, 5:39 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    Caddyman
    Ha ha - I wouldn't dare. But then he's had Italian meatballs for tea with a seeds of change pasta sauce that was dated June 2017 tonight and is none the wiser. I bought 10 jars at 17p a jar when a shop was selling them off!

I just hide the jar
    Originally posted by Elliesmum
    Similarly, a few months back, I was going through our tin and jar cupboard and I found a jar of carbonara sauce from a well known German supermarket....that was 3 years 'out of date', well, 3 years past it's 'best before' date. No problem, took some frozen chicken out of the freezer that had been in there for nearly 18 months (in a dated bag). Defrosted that, knocked up chicken carbonara for dinner the next night. Perfect! But then I've done that sort of thing my whole life. It just makes me laugh when some people absolutely refuse to eat certain foods even if they are just one day out of date. Again, common sense applies.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 1st Dec 17, 11:44 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    phillw
    I was going through our tin and jar cupboard and I found a jar of carbonara sauce from a well known German supermarket....
    Originally posted by Caddyman
    I buy most things from a german supermarket, but only fresh food and not any of that processed rubbish. Some of the stuff I buy goes mouldy before the use by date.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 2nd Dec 17, 1:27 AM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    badmemory
    My first thought was - I need a bigger fridge. Then I wondered why. Any fruit that was going to last longer by being kept in the fridge is not going to get eaten anyway.
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 2nd Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 12,613 Thanks
    tgroom57
    I've discovered I can freeze-dry broccoli and mushrooms, if I leave them unwrapped at the back of the fridge long enough.

• dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 3rd Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,023 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I always find the sauces/ketchup things to be a controversial thing, I know no one besides me that puts them in the fridge.

That being said I keep them there months and months despite it saying they only last like 6 weeks when opened.

Similarly for things like pickle and beetroot people I know just store the half used jars back in the cupboard.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Dec 17, 9:34 AM
    • 18,559 Posts
    • 47,775 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I always find the sauces/ketchup things to be a controversial thing, I know no one besides me that puts them in the fridge.

That being said I keep them there months and months despite it saying they only last like 6 weeks when opened.

Similarly for things like pickle and beetroot people I know just store the half used jars back in the cupboard.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    The label advice on sauces says to keep them in the fridge after opening and use within.6 weeks.
    We don't and never have (and we're still here).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,465Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter