Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    • 14,195Posts
    • 38,496Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Price for sockets in house
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    Price for sockets in house 29th Nov 17 at 2:31 PM
    What would be a reasonable price per socket to pay for new electric sockets in my house please? Just standard double white plastic sockets.
    #MeToo

Ain't neva gonna learn to be a good "woman"
Page 2
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 30th Nov 17, 9:32 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    Risteard
    A generic "tradesperson" telling you that you NEED electrical work doesn't mean anything.

Does everything work?
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Just because everything might appear to function correctly does not mean that it is safe or correct. Electrical installations, even if installed perfectly, do not last forever either.
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 1st Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    A generic "tradesperson" telling you that you NEED electrical work doesn't mean anything.

Does everything work?
    Thats to the point of stupidity "working" is absolutely not way of telling if the installation or a appliance etc are safe ...

OP should establish the "tradespersons" knowledge, qualification etcIf possible why the conclusion i.e test, test result etc . A implied mentality that all are out too con says more about the person thinking it than it is factual... also of little assistance to OP...
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 1st Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Asking if things work is a "starter" question. I thought that seemed obvious! Details seem a bit cloudy here.

Work having been done a few years ago is no reason to expect it to need updated. So how does the OP know what need a done other than some "tradesperson" telling her? And we don't even know exactly what they said, or what type of tradesperson it was.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 1st Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Thats to the point of stupidity "working" is absolutely not way of telling if the installation or a appliance etc are safe ...

OP should establish the "tradespersons" knowledge, qualification etcIf possible why the conclusion i.e test, test result etc . A implied mentality that all are out too con says more about the person thinking it than it is factual... also of little assistance to OP...
    Originally posted by brightontraveller
    Where did I say she should assume it's safe because it works? Making assumptions like that is an example of stupidity.
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 2nd Dec 17, 1:45 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    Asking if things work is a "starter" question. I thought that seemed obvious! Details seem a bit cloudy here.
    Nope In respect of an installation needing a rewire it is totally irrelevant if things “work”

Work having been done a few years ago is no reason to expect it to need updated. So how does the OP know what need a done other than some "tradesperson" telling her? And we don't even know exactly what they said, or what type of tradesperson it was.
    Very much doubt that ? Ask electricians to quote to bring whole installation up to current standards ( you could go cert/inspection route etc Although thats not the same as bringing entire installation to current standards) ...If you don't know ask, inquire would be my advice...
    Last edited by brightontraveller; 02-12-2017 at 2:02 AM.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Dec 17, 7:31 AM
    • 14,195 Posts
    • 38,496 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Think I've got a better idea by now folks. A forum friend has been PM'ing me and detailed explanations re these powerpoints given to him and he is pretty sure (from my explanations etc) exactly what needs doing and tells me it would take him (former electrician) literally 10 minutes per socket to sort it out. So - allowing for them getting to my house/"teeth-sucking time" as he calls it/etc - it should be around 2 hours work and minimal materials.

So I know where I'm at now - and it shouldnt count as more than 2 hours work time and minimal materials. So I'm guessing at around £100 then - so not too bad.

Thanks all.

EDIT; Just googled for electricians hourly rate and the 2017 scale says day rate for electricians is £150-£200. So that should be £150 in this area (West Wales) then for a whole day of having one in.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 02-12-2017 at 7:37 AM.
    #MeToo

• ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 2nd Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 3,012 Thanks
    ceredigion
    What makes you think West Wales would be a cheep area, We have the same business costs as the rest of the country
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 2nd Dec 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    What makes you think West Wales would be a cheep area, We have the same business costs as the rest of the country
    Originally posted by ceredigion
    possibly lower demand, more competition to gain jobs, and lower living costs such as houses which mean people can work for less and still maintain a similar lifestyle. Basics, really.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 3rd Dec 17, 8:55 AM
    • 14,195 Posts
    • 38,496 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I'm not saying they "should" be cheaper here - I'm saying statistics indicate they "are" cheaper here. I googled statistics before I came here for a variety of trades and it came up as 90% of the costs of the trades where I've come from. London would obviously be dearer still and I'm presuming the £200 a day is the London end of the scale. Cheaper areas are going to be the cheaper end of the scale.

I'm quite prepared to pay what I'm used to - if I get the standard I'm used to..... That means reliable for a start....something that has proven notoriously difficult to get here and I only had literally one episode of in decades previously. I've lost count of how many times a tradesperson hasnt turned up or hasnt quoted and (comparing notes with friends that have also been used to reliability) they've also had a lot of that too. Maybe you personally are reliable/do decent-quality work/etc/etc and I'd be prepared to pay you what I'm used to paying? - but I bet you know of a lot who aren't...

That means all work "going through the books" - and I only ever encountered one tradesperson that specified otherwise (not employed by me) and there is a lot of it here. Personally - I have paid less for a "cash rate" sometimes since moving here - but I expect to receive at least some of the benefit of that (in an appropriately cheaper rate).

It's not Southern England (with its dear living costs). It's West Wales (with its cheaper living costs).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 03-12-2017 at 9:06 AM.
    #MeToo

• DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 3rd Dec 17, 9:40 AM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Hang on, Money.... The standard you are used to? That's the reason you are here in this position. You have already had two duff electricians in and, unless you take care (much more than before) you will get a third. There aren't many in your area of the World and, not too soon from now, word will get round that you are difficult, at which point only the desperate duffers will take the jobs, and they will charge more.

Life in very rural areas is very, very different to cities, and I have quite a bit of experience using trades in both, doing up multiple houses, so I do understand.

Shouting down the phone to a firm who may have put a switch in a place that didn't suit may have felt good, but the next guy you had in was no better. First lot would probably have sorted you for free, if you'd been pleasant.

I remember some of your earlier posts when selling your last house, as well as some from your previous ID and, no, you were not getting better service back there.

Now, an electrician popped back to see me yesterday, and is going to put in the wiring for four double sockets in my conservatory some time in the evenings. He's charging me £0. That's because we have an on going relationship. He's done 2 new consumer units, one moved so lots of wiring, a rewire of a barn, and looks forward to doing a shower and a kitchen, so no charge for sockets.... I am supplying all the bits.

He's fully registered, very good, very tidy, and a pleasure to have round. Oh, and cheap.

I shall be paying him anyway. He probably guessed that, but its one of those nice country ways.

You do need to change tack, or you will end up leaving that house soon, broke and broken.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 3rd Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 6,358 Posts
    • 4,863 Thanks
    ohreally
    As suggested, due to ambiguity, consider having an electrical condition inspection/ report conducted.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 3rd Dec 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 3,012 Thanks
    ceredigion
    I`m sure west Wales is a cheaper area but if you take London out of the national equation I bet there`s not a lot in it. As I said previously , our business costs will be the same as anybody else , given a similar size company. Personal living costs ,the only thing possible the house prices are cheaper. but not a lot. That will be off set by increased transport costs. From where I am ,is a 55 mile round trip to get to the nearest electrical wholesalers and I'm not even what would be glassed as far out. Should point out I'm not an electrician ,I'm a plasterer. But I have employed a fair few electricians over the years and have never had a problem with any of them , which just makes me wonder why you have ended up in the mess you`re in. We gone in this thread from a full rewire to 10 mins work on each socket . What's wrong? I can only imagine that there is no earth sheathing , cant think of anything else that could through a problem but still allow it to work, so to speak?
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 3rd Dec 17, 1:59 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 7,878 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    As suggested, due to ambiguity, consider having an electrical condition inspection/ report conducted.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    She did... He got fed up halfway through.... That's where this started. Well, actually was the second or third phase. ....

That's why, in such a rural area, she's in real danger of not getting anybody!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,008Posts Today

6,333Users online

Martin's Twitter