Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CharlotteElizabeth
    • By CharlotteElizabeth 29th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CharlotteElizabeth
    Key meter electric
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    Key meter electric 29th Nov 17 at 2:10 PM
    Hello, I am currently on BG key meter and I seem to be feeding it every 5 days with 30 quid each time. I do have a fan heater on quite a bit, as my house has economy 7 which is useless cos I work all day.

How do I find deals for a key meter? The good deals listed in the MSE emails, are they for houses who pay by monthly bills? I failed a credit check for BG monthly so can't switch from key meter

Thanks
Page 1
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 29th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:12 PM
    You can switch supplies with a pre-pay (key) meter. The tariffs are different to those for credit (monthly) meters.

If you want to switch from prepay to credit, British Gas are the worst for that, even for people with a good history. Switch your supply to a company that doesn't do credit checks, EDF is the usual recommendation but there may be others, and then request a switch to credit once the switch is complete (ask for the new meter to be single rate at the same time if you don't think economy 7 will ever be worth it for you).

At that point you're free to sign up for a fixed deal with your new supplier, or shop around again.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 29th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:46 PM
    I second EDF, I have their Online Saver August 18 tariff and pay just £83 per month for gas and electric. Pre pay meters are expensive, you would be better of switching to a 'normal' meter.

Economy 7 is even more useless if you are at home all day as well: as Senior retired, we had Economy 7 NSH heaters before we had GCH. By 3 pm the heating was gone, as the storage was exhausted. Consider how good a scenario that was for us older folk! No heating on a winter night, when you really need it, which meant 'normal' electric heaters and more expense.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• CharlotteElizabeth
    • By CharlotteElizabeth 29th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CharlotteElizabeth
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    I'm worried that if I have a credit meter then my bills will become unmanageable. Is there a way you can see on average how much you are spending so you aren't hit with a shock bill? I'm new to all this switching stuff so I'm not really sure what a good deal is. Do they need to come and change the meter, I work in the next city so leave early and get home late so I'm not at home often to deal with this kinda stuff.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 29th Nov 17, 5:47 PM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:47 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:47 PM
    Credit is slight cheaper but if you are spending £30 a week you will still be spending a lot.

Do you have storage heaters?

if no, he answer is to stop the E7 and stop using the fan heater.

Even if you keep E7 stop using the fan heater these cost a ridiculous amount of money. What other heating do you have in the home?
    • CharlotteElizabeth
    • By CharlotteElizabeth 29th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CharlotteElizabeth
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:01 PM
    I don't have any other heating. I don't have gas at all. I basically heat 2 rooms in my house (I live in a 2 bed flat) that's completely electric, all my money goes on heating my living room and bedroom. I have storage heaters with E7 but they are useless cos I work from 7am-6pm everyday. I'm in rented accommodation also so can't make drastic changes without permission
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 29th Nov 17, 6:19 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    AndyCF
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:19 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:19 PM
    I'm worried that if I have a credit meter then my bills will become unmanageable. Is there a way you can see on average how much you are spending so you aren't hit with a shock bill? I'm new to all this switching stuff so I'm not really sure what a good deal is. Do they need to come and change the meter, I work in the next city so leave early and get home late so I'm not at home often to deal with this kinda stuff.
    Originally posted by CharlotteElizabeth
    If its a 'key' meter then yes they would need to visit to replace it, a smart meter (no key or card) would not in most cases need changing as they are usually 'dual purpose' in that they can act as a 'credit' or 'pre-pay' type.

So if you actually have a 'key' or 'card' you take to the shop etc to 'top up' then yes it is highly likely they would need to change the meter although as others have said switch supplier first if needed, then once its "settled properly" see about going from pre-pay to 'credit'
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 29th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 5,359 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    I don't have any other heating. I don't have gas at all. I basically heat 2 rooms in my house (I live in a 2 bed flat) that's completely electric, all my money goes on heating my living room and bedroom. I have storage heaters with E7 but they are useless cos I work from 7am-6pm everyday. I'm in rented accommodation also so can't make drastic changes without permission
    Any young children? If not, have you considered calor gas? Do you have transport to collect the canisters?

I suggest starting a new thread asking for help with the most efficient way to heat your home as whilst changing to a credit meter will help its not the full answer as heating a home with fan heaters is always going to be expensive however you pay for electric.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 29th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:07 PM
    There are details on the meter which can show you how many Kilo Watt Hours (,kwh on the meter ) you have used since you took over the account.
    If you know the date you should be able to work out a rough number per year of kwhs you have used .The supplier should also be able to update you on a full years usage of kwh s used.
    This is important because you can then get your monthly direct debit more or less correct so you don t under or overpay.
    On the meter if you press the blue button 5 times it should show "G " Total kwH.. this is how many units used since the meter was installed. The next push of the button is "H " (Day rate ) which shows the total kwh s used since you took over the account used on day rate. "J" will give you the total number of units used at night. Dividing those two totals by the number of months you have lived there then multiplying by 12 will give you a years usage of the day/night to input into a comparison website to find the cheapest suppliers for you if the meter was changed to a credit meter. The difference could be 25% cheaper than any prepayment meter tariff
    There does not appear to be any smart Eco 7 meters around yet other then with a few suppliers who use Liberty Secure meters.
    Iresa Energy have some of the cheapest Eco 7 rates for credit meters which should be far lower than prepayment meter rates. This is the way forward for you to at least pay the minimum ammount possible for your electricity.
    Switch to a credit meter, switch supplier but get very accurate day/night annual usage so you get the direct debits spot on to avoid nasty shocks underpaying or overpaying. But you do need a full years usage
    EDF have the best record for people with a poor credit history and they would be my first choice to try to get the meters changed if your current supplier blocks you
    Last edited by House Martin; 29-11-2017 at 7:55 PM.
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 29th Nov 17, 7:40 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    Hello, I am currently on BG key meter and I seem to be feeding it every 5 days with 30 quid each time. I do have a fan heater on quite a bit, as my house has economy 7 which is useless cos I work all day.

How do I find deals for a key meter? The good deals listed in the MSE emails, are they for houses who pay by monthly bills? I failed a credit check for BG monthly so can't switch from key meter

Thanks
    Have you read the MSE guide?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
    • CharlotteElizabeth
    • By CharlotteElizabeth 29th Nov 17, 9:53 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CharlotteElizabeth
    My car died this morning so I've not got transport till I can pay for the work to be done. No children, but do have cats (would these be safe around pets?) do Color gas heaters cause damp as I have heard they do?
    • CharlotteElizabeth
    • By CharlotteElizabeth 29th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CharlotteElizabeth
    I recieved an email in Oct telling me my personal projection is £919 for the year, is that expensive?

Day rate 15.05p per kw and Night rate of 7.87p. Standing charge of 28.89p a day. I've had the account for 10 years and never switched before. I have no idea when it switches to Day/Night. I've never been in arrears with electric and its been a prepay meter from when moved in.
    • ChaunceyGardiner
    • By ChaunceyGardiner 29th Nov 17, 11:20 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    ChaunceyGardiner
    I wouldn’t recommend a Calor gas heater. The canisters are *very* heavy and you need to crack open a window for ventilation, which lets all the heat escape. Better to learn to use the storage heaters properly and top up as and when with instant electric heating.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 30th Nov 17, 9:00 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    House Martin
    I recieved an email in Oct telling me my personal projection is £919 for the year, is that expensive?

Day rate 15.05p per kw and Night rate of 7.87p. Standing charge of 28.89p a day. I've had the account for 10 years and never switched before. I have no idea when it switches to Day/Night. I've never been in arrears with electric and its been a prepay meter from when moved in.
    Check out Iresa s Eco 7 rate. In my area its approx !2p day 7 p night with a low standing charge.
    If you have a credit meter the best way to find out the exact switch over time is try and watch for the switchover time when the day rate reading is static and the night starts to move.There can be an audible click on many digital meter.RadioTeleswitch timers are very accurate and it will be at the published times for your area. Other timers, especially old 24 hr circular timer switches could be widely off the mark and the cheap 7 hrs could be anywhere in the 24 hrs.
    Prepay key meters have built in digital clocks but they can drift out of time so better to observe when the digits move on screen "J " night rate.
    Useful screens on key prepay meters are screens" I " and "k " which show the pence per Kwh rates. The weekly standing charges are also seen on one of the first few screens. BG charge approx £1.90 p a week standing charges, Eon and EDF are very similar standing charge rates
    Last edited by House Martin; 30-11-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,028Posts Today

4,382Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin