Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 29th Nov 17, 1:51 PM
    • 601Posts
    • 284Thanks
    dunroving
    Verified by Visa - no longer asks for password
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:51 PM
    Verified by Visa - no longer asks for password 29th Nov 17 at 1:51 PM
    For about the past 6 months, the Verified by Visa security check no longer asks me for my password when making a purchase.

I called Visa and the person on the other end said likely the vendors I was buying from are set up that they recognise me as an existing customer so automatically bypass the security check.

However, (a) the VV dialog box definitely does open, then just clicks almost immediately to the "Thank you for your purchase" page, and (b) it is happening with new vendors and companies I have never used.

It just feels to me like I no longer have the VV security check. Anyone else experienced this?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 29th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 14,402 Posts
    • 15,199 Thanks
    zx81
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    It quickly fell out of favour with retailers.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 29th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,449 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:10 PM
    That system, along with the MasterCard version hasn't asked me for a password for ages.

I imagine if things change enough at their end, it'll ask you but I don't think it should be relied on as a security measure above keeping passwords secure with the retailers you purchase from.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt Free Wannabe, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 29th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 7,308 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    Lloyds, Halifax and BoS scrapped the need for this very irritating interruption to purchase.

Maybe others have followed.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 29th Nov 17, 2:40 PM
    • 14,402 Posts
    • 15,199 Thanks
    zx81
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:40 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:40 PM
    I'd have been a lot more in favour of it if the pop up window hadn't looked like something a 12 year old hacker had knocked up in his bedroom.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 29th Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:41 PM
    Thanks, All.

FYI, this was a Barclaycard so I guess they joined the ranks of the disgruntled. To be honest, it never bothered me as it only took an additional 10 seconds and I could remember the password. And I don't make many online purchases. ;-)
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 29th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:33 PM
    It may be more common but this has been the case since day 1 with Verified by Visa and MasterCard Secure. Couldn't even tell you when I last had to key a password (or parts of it)

If it comes up but just goes through then the merchant is still paying for the service from Visa. Its actually more beneficial to the merchant than the bank as any fraud that goes via this method cannot be claimed back via chargeback, so the bank suffers the loss.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 29th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 920 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:40 PM
    My Tesco debit card asks me for my Verified by Visa password every time I use it although that isn't very often and only on one or two sites. 95% of the time, I have forgotten the password and have to reset it.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 29th Nov 17, 6:59 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:59 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:59 PM
    I also found it very annoying, and like another poster had nearly always forgotten my password when asked for it had had to reset it each time. I, for one, am very pleased it just flashes up and doesn't ask for the password any more.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 29th Nov 17, 7:08 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,484 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Nationwide dropped it years ago. And although my Santander Mastercard is asked for the password by some retailers a purchase on Virgin Trains today went through without needing it.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 29th Nov 17, 10:08 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    It no longer asks for a password because most UK card issuers have moved to using it on a risk based approach. The card issuer will assess the transaction by looking at a number of factors about it and about you. For example, depending on the card issuer, it may consider among other things whether you typically purchase in this currency; does it match your typical purchase history; is the device usually the one you make purchases from; where is the location of the device making the purchase; is the merchant one where there is a higher number of fraudulent transactions; is the purchase typical with this merchant.

Only in a small proportion of transactions, where it identifies as high risk, will it seek the user to provide more information.

Card issuers have moved to this approach because the user authentication model resulted in a large number of abandoned transactions.
    Last edited by AirlieBird; 29-11-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 30th Nov 17, 12:06 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Kim_13
    HSBC still ask for it as of a month or so ago.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 30th Nov 17, 6:27 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    My Tesco debit card asks me for my Verified by Visa password every time I use it although that isn't very often and only on one or two sites. 95% of the time, I have forgotten the password and have to reset it.
    Originally posted by TheShape
    Yeah, Tesco are quite hot on this kind of thing. I know they think they’re protecting themselves/us/the retailer/whoever, but I’ve actually used another card instead when buying online because, like others, I’ve forgotten my password. So they’re losing business.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,015Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter