Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AJK2303
    • By AJK2303 29th Nov 17, 1:50 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AJK2303
    PPI claim
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:50 PM
    PPI claim 29th Nov 17 at 1:50 PM
    Please can someone help and advise. I have recently started to process a PPI claim via The Claims Guys. I has been discovered I was mis sold PPI when on the original claim myself I was advised I was not mis sold. Although I have not signed the form to authorise them to proceed or returned the forms yet to The Claims Guys to process do I need to pay them any fees??
Page 1
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 29th Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:39 PM
    Who has told it has been discovered that you were missold PPI, is it the Claims Guys by any chance after a "Free PPI check"?

It sounds as if you have complained previously to the PPI provider who wrote back to you with a decision that you were not missold, is that correct and how long ago was this?

Do not instruct the Claims Guys to complain on your behalf.
    Last edited by Nearlyold; 29-11-2017 at 5:42 PM.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 29th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    • 14,389 Posts
    • 15,184 Thanks
    zx81
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:42 PM
    Although I have not signed the form to authorise them to proceed or returned the forms yet to The Claims Guys to process do I need to pay them any fees??
    Originally posted by AJK2303
    You may need to pay them when they find out you have previously complained and wasted their time.
    • AJK2303
    • By AJK2303 30th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AJK2303
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:12 AM
    I contacted my bank directly a number of years ago regarding mortgage. They advised of no mis selling. Claims guys kept calling and calling so I let them investigate. They found I had a number of mis sold PPI on other old loans. They went through a number of questions but I have never as yet signed or returned the hard copy of the claim forms.
    My bank has written to advise that I was mis sold and due monies but I haven't instructed Claims Guys to proceed but they are now telling me I need to pay their fees.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Nov 17, 10:20 AM
    • 18,904 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:20 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 10:20 AM
    My bank has written to advise that I was mis sold and due monies but I haven't instructed Claims Guys to proceed but they are now telling me I need to pay their fees.
    Of course you should dispute this. Are you sure you haven't signed any Authority? If so, tell them to show you proof that you are their customer and they represent you in PPI complaints.

Complain in writing so that you have copies. Ultimately, you can go to the Legal Ombudsman...
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 30th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 89,900 Posts
    • 56,578 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    I contacted my bank directly a number of years ago regarding mortgage. They advised of no mis selling. Claims guys kept calling and calling so I let them investigate. They found I had a number of mis sold PPI on other old loans. They went through a number of questions but I have never as yet signed or returned the hard copy of the claim forms.
    Have they actually changed their original decision or is the new payment under the Plevin ruling?

Some CMCs are being very crafty at getting themselves attached to these Plevin payouts which would have either been automatic or you being invited to make without a CMC being involved.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • AJK2303
    • By AJK2303 30th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AJK2303
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    I do not know what the plevin ruling is?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Nov 17, 2:06 PM
    • 18,904 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:06 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:06 PM
    I do not know what the plevin ruling is?
    It will have been referenced in the offer letter you received from the Bank. Rather than refund your PPI, it would mean a refund only of the undisclosed commission you paid. If the Bank didn't mention such commission then Plevin doesn't apply and your original PPI complaint has been retrospectively successful.

Have you checked what permission(s) you gave to the Claims firm?
    • AJK2303
    • By AJK2303 30th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AJK2303
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    I have only spoken to them via the telephone. They have sent the forms for me to return and sign but not singed or sent them back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,962Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin