Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wadey78p
    • By wadey78p 29th Nov 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    wadey78p
    Resigning just before christmas period
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:50 PM
    Resigning just before christmas period 29th Nov 17 at 1:50 PM
    I will be handing in my notice tomorrow 30th November. This would mean my notice to start on 1st December which I will state in the letter. I have to give 1 months notice. So by my calcs my last working day is Friday 29th December. I don't want to go back to my current work after christmas as I start new job on the 8th & would like a break.

The business shuts from 22nd Dec - 1st Jan for xmas (back on 2nd Jan). With 27,28 & 29th Dec being holidays (which have already been taken off my total).
    With these taken off It leaves me 5 days left to carry over into next year which we can do...if I was staying (holidays run from Jan to end of year).

My basic question is will I be paid all the holidays between the christmas period i.e right up to the 29th December? I'm guessing the one day I will miss out on is the bank hol 1st Jan? Also due to work load I don't think I will be asked to take my 5 days holiday left so I am hoping I will be paid them aswell. My contract states:
    "Should you leave XXXXXX, payment will be made for all unused accrued holiday
    entitlement."
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 29th Nov 17, 2:20 PM
    • 30,821 Posts
    • 18,429 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:20 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:20 PM
    I will be handing in my notice tomorrow 30th November. This would mean my notice to start on 1st December which I will state in the letter. I have to give 1 months notice. So by my calcs my last working day is Friday 29th December. I don't want to go back to my current work after christmas as I start new job on the 8th & would like a break.

your notice would end 31Dec

The business shuts from 22nd Dec - 1st Jan for xmas (back on 2nd Jan). With 27,28 & 29th Dec being holidays (which have already been taken off my total).
    With these taken off It leaves me 5 days left to carry over into next year which we can do...if I was staying (holidays run from Jan to end of year).

you won't carry over any as you will have finished and they get paid if not taken

My basic question is will I be paid all the holidays between the christmas period i.e right up to the 29th December? I'm guessing the one day I will miss out on is the bank hol 1st Jan? Also due to work load I don't think I will be asked to take my 5 days holiday left so I am hoping I will be paid them aswell. My contract states:
    "Should you leave XXXXXX, payment will be made for all unused accrued holiday
    entitlement."
    Originally posted by wadey78p
    Jan 1st is not relevant that is in the new holiday year and you have finished anyway.

should get paid as normal and any used holiday tagged on.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 29th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 3,136 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    marlot
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:50 PM
    Could you resign with effect from 5 Dec, and make 5 January your last day. And book the 2-5th Jan as leave. You'll then be paid for the bank holiday?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin