Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 29th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    • 192Posts
    • 502Thanks
    AndyCF
    Gas supplier switch meter question
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:45 PM
    Gas supplier switch meter question 29th Nov 17 at 1:45 PM
    It seems quite obvious but the answer eludes me.

Currently I have a mechanical gas meter, its the 'odometer' type, similar to older cars mileage reading, so simple to read rather than the very ancient 'dials' type we had a few years ago.

The question is simple: If I switch gas suppliers, will the 'new' supplier insist on a new meter too as its not electronic ? I use 'insist' here rather than 'suggest'

I realise I'll be nagged for a 'Smart Gas' one at this point but I'd rather keep the existing one for the immediate moment. Genuine reasons due to the "interesting shut-off" method of smart gas ones due to them being dual function.

A further note is I pay Gas via 'receipt of bill' rather than pre-pay or anything else like DD.
    Last edited by AndyCF; 29-11-2017 at 1:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Page 1
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 29th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    Unless it happens to be approaching its certification expiry, no.

You'll no doubt get 'encouragement' to have it replaced with a smart meter as you know, but simply replacing an existing meter with a digital non-smart meter doesn't do anything for a suppliers 'smart quota' and is just an unrecoverable cost so there's no benefit to them swapping it earlier than they have to.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 29th Nov 17, 4:09 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    AndyCF
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:09 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:09 PM
    Unless it happens to be approaching its certification expiry, no.
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    I think it is about fifteen years old, possibly a bit less as we had the gas meter moved outside in a box from inside when the mains gas pipes were replaced (BG's "street" part of the pipe at their cost, I think there was a small leakage under the pavement or something) , before that it was a 'dial' type one. From memory that one was very old indeed and probably well approaching its "end of life" status anyway.

You'll no doubt get 'encouragement' to have it replaced with a smart meter as you know, but simply replacing an existing meter with a digital non-smart meter doesn't do anything for a suppliers 'smart quota' and is just an unrecoverable cost so there's no benefit to them swapping it earlier than they have to.
    Originally posted by Raxiel
    Oh yes I'd expect a bit of nagging about a 'all shining all dancing smart' at supplier change, just wondered if they would be able to say something along the lines of they "insist" on it being changed. I see what you're saying as if they did fit an LCD one (which I have no objection to provided it does not contain a shutoff solenoid valve) , they would be on a hiding to nowhere in that they would have to be out to change it eventually to a smart one at some future point.

Question answered, thank you!
    • Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • By Flt. Lt. Biggles 29th Nov 17, 6:17 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Flt. Lt. Biggles
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:17 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:17 PM
    It seems quite obvious but the answer eludes me.

Currently I have a mechanical gas meter, its the 'odometer' type, similar to older cars mileage reading, so simple to read rather than the very ancient 'dials' type we had a few years ago.

The question is simple: If I switch gas suppliers, will the 'new' supplier insist on a new meter too as its not electronic ? I use 'insist' here rather than 'suggest'

I realise I'll be nagged for a 'Smart Gas' one at this point but I'd rather keep the existing one for the immediate moment. Genuine reasons due to the "interesting shut-off" method of smart gas ones due to them being dual function.

A further note is I pay Gas via 'receipt of bill' rather than pre-pay or anything else like DD.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    Such a gas meter is arguably the most popular of all gas credit (non-smart) meters installed in domestic premesis today

No need to ever worry about not being able to read the screen due to a flat battery with these

A change of supplier does not usually result in a request to change the metering. Even if your meter is due for replacement, a change of supplier usually delays that
    If a gas meter change really is required, you'll probably get one just like the above as a replacement (unless you request something different)
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 29th Nov 17, 6:22 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    AndyCF
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:22 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:22 PM
    That is almost identical to what I have, Actaris too I think, apart from the curious electric 'addon' that is shown. No wiring in mine, nowhere for it to go anyway!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

475Posts Today

3,429Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin