Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 29th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 6,986Posts
    • 35,495Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Child tax credits help - 2+ children
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    Child tax credits help - 2+ children 29th Nov 17 at 12:13 PM
    Hi all,

I'm getting very confused with CTC and eligibility criteria etc, and we have a complicated family so the calculators aren't easy. We have never been able to claim before but due to drop in income/change in circumstances we can now (I think!).

From what I can gather you are now only allowed to claim CTC for 2 children, is this right?

If so can you change which children you claim for at a later date?

Family background:

- There is myself and OH.
    - I work 21hrs a wk earning £12K pa (I used to work FT until June this year).
    - OH works FT earning £29K.
    - We have one 15month old together. We pay £400-£450/mth for childcare for him. I claim CB for him (but at 2nd child rate- see below)

Here is the complicated bits:

- OH has two other children, SS aged 13 and SD aged 8.
    - They live with us 4 nights a week. OH claims CB for SS (at 1st child rate).
    - His ex claims CB for SD.
    - His ex also claims CTC for BOTH children (she did prior to the spilt and despite us having them more often, as we could never claim it due to income he let her continue to claim)

Change of circs:

- His ex has moved in with her new OH and they no longer qualify for CTC.
    - I am pregnant with #2 (due June 2018)

If you have got this far well done! My questions are:

1. We technically qualify for CTC now for this financial year for SS and my DS based on my earnings last year when on mat leave. But when new baby comes we will need to pay 2 x childcare so it makes more sense to claim for the two littlest ones as we can get money for childcare for both that way. Can you change the children on a claim for next financial year or not?

2. Have I missed anything?

Thanks very much in advance.
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 29th Nov 17, 1:22 PM
    • 4,720 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:22 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:22 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/child-tax-credit-exceptions-to-the-2-child-limit

“The disability element of Child Tax Credit and the childcare element of Working Tax Credit will continue to be paid for all eligible children. You’ll get these elements for an eligible child, even if you don’t get the child element of Child Tax Credit for them.“
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 29th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    • 3,468 Posts
    • 2,356 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:03 PM
    So, under the current tax credit rules you can get a child element for SS, SD and your 15 month old. You won't get it for the new baby.

You can claim childcare for any of them - that isn't affected by the 2 child limit as the link above shows.

IQ
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 1st Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 6,986 Posts
    • 35,495 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 9:24 AM
    Ah thank you both. I was unaware that we could still claim the childcare bit with having 3 or 4 children. Makes it a bit more clearer now.

Thanks
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin