Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harz99
    • By harz99 29th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    • 2,514Posts
    • 2,452Thanks
    harz99
    Tesco new 1.35% rate (including bonus) Internet saver
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:49 AM
    Tesco new 1.35% rate (including bonus) Internet saver 29th Nov 17 at 11:49 AM
    Seems to be a fair amount of interest, as in the half hour between my application and my wife's, the account numbers have increased by over 800.
Page 1
    • katies mum
    • By katies mum 29th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    katies mum
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:07 PM
    Please could I ask, if they opened your account straight away or do you have to start sending ID through the post before they will open it? My daughter opened an account with Tesco about 18 months ago and there was a lot of faffing about with her having to send them ID etc. I know a lot of Banks/BS now seem to use systems where they can access your ID electronically.

Many thanks
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 29th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    Account numbers don't increase by adding one to the last number. There are various devices such as check digits that determine what they are
    • badger09
    • By badger09 29th Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 4,906 Thanks
    badger09
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:14 PM
    Seems to be a fair amount of interest, as in the half hour between my application and my wife's, the account numbers have increased by over 800.
    Originally posted by harz99
    yes indeed, as your thread title suggests, 1.35% is a fair amount of interest for an instant access account
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • badger09
    • By badger09 29th Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 4,906 Thanks
    badger09
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:18 PM
    Please could I ask, if they opened your account straight away or do you have to start sending ID through the post before they will open it? My daughter opened an account with Tesco about 18 months ago and there was a lot of faffing about with her having to send them ID etc. I know a lot of Banks/BS now seem to use systems where they can access your ID electronically.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by katies mum
    I opened mine a couple of days ago (@1.2% obviously) and it was visible online immediately.

As your daughter is already a customer, if she applies when logged in, she should be presented with some prepopulated information and just has to tick boxes regarding residence, tax status etc. So there ought to be no requests for further ID.
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • harz99
    • By harz99 29th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    harz99
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:14 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:14 PM

Many thanks
    Originally posted by katies mum

Sorry, been doing other things. Yes they did open straightaway, however we are both existing customers, and as such have had ID checks done by Mr T in the last 2 years or so.

I am almost sure if the applicant is not already a customer they will have to do as you describe for your daughter, which we also did when we first became Mr T bank customers.

HTH.
    • jamei305
    • By jamei305 29th Nov 17, 4:32 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    jamei305
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:32 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:32 PM
    I wasn't a customer and it opened instantly. However they required my signature on record sent by post, and they won't let me make any withdrawals until they receive this (other than by account closure).
    • katies mum
    • By katies mum 30th Nov 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    katies mum
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:51 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:51 AM
    Thank all you for your advice
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 30th Nov 17, 11:59 AM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 4,182 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:59 AM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:59 AM
    I'm an existing Tesco customer. I have a current account, and an old savings account paying 0.4%. I opened the new account on line on Monday. Transferred money into it straight away. I now can't withdraw from the account!

Someone suggested on another thread that Tesco make you wait 24 48 hours before letting you withdraw money, but this time had passed, it's not in the T&Cs, it's meant to be instant access, and the money shows as available. I just can't withdraw it!

I imagine a phone call will sort this out.
    Last edited by Nick_C; 30-11-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 30th Nov 17, 12:00 PM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    ColdIron
    48 hours...
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 30th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    If you hold an existing Tesco Internet Saver, is the rate raised to match the new one ?
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 30th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    ColdIron
    They are raising the standard interest rate which is variable, unlike the bonus rate which is fixed, so existing customers should see the increase automatically. I don't know if some of my original accounts, opened early 2014, will be affected but can only assume so
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 30th Nov 17, 12:39 PM
    • 29,624 Posts
    • 17,487 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I'm an existing Tesco customer. I have a current account, and an old savings account paying 0.4%. I opened the new account on line on Monday. Transferred money into it straight away. I now can't withdraw from the account!

Someone suggested on another thread that Tesco make you wait 24 48 hours before letting you withdraw money, but this time had passed, it's not in the T&Cs, it's meant to be instant access, and the money shows as available. I just can't withdraw it!

Originally posted by Nick_C
    Presumably you've tried to transfer it to one of your other accounts?
    • harz99
    • By harz99 30th Nov 17, 12:42 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    harz99
    If you hold an existing Tesco Internet Saver, is the rate raised to match the new one ?
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan

No, stays as is for now. Presumably will go up with the new rates but obviously no bonus.
    Last edited by harz99; 30-11-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: expanded thoughts.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 30th Nov 17, 12:45 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 38,018 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    No, if you want the new rate (with the bonus for year 1) then you need to open a new a/c.
    That's what I have done, and I shall be tranferring from the old to the new, then close the old eventually.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 30th Nov 17, 12:53 PM
    • 3,910 Posts
    • 38,018 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I've just opened a new savings a/c (already holding other current & savings a/c with Mr T) and I have received the following text :
    "Thanks for opening an Internet Saver. Please return any documents requested in your welcome pack. You can register for Online Banking at
    Tescobank.com."

Maybe you can not move money until you get your welcome pack????
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • harz99
    • By harz99 30th Nov 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    harz99

Same for me, I'm waiting until Monday then i'll try again - it's only a tenner.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 30th Nov 17, 1:09 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,452 Thanks
    harz99
    I've just opened a new savings a/c (already holding other current & savings a/c with Mr T) and I have received the following text :
    "Thanks for opening an Internet Saver. Please return any documents requested in your welcome pack. You can register for Online Banking at
    Tescobank.com."

Originally posted by Katiehound

Same here.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 30th Nov 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 1,876 Thanks
    pearl123
    Tescobank.com."

Originally posted by Katiehound
    If you already have a Tesco savings account you just need to be signed in to open an new one.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 30th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Tesco checked my ID electronically, though that was in Summer 2015.

I applied for a savings account as an existing customer, so I can't comment on that part (a savings account should show sooner than a current account, as you don't have to pass a credit check first.)
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter