Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • winged
    • By winged 29th Nov 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    winged
    Car park liability
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:38 AM
    Car park liability 29th Nov 17 at 11:38 AM
    Hello new to the forum so after some advise if possible please!

I run a small business with around 5 employees and as a result we work in a shared office (we have our own floor in a building). The site has around 4 other office builds on it and assigns parking spaces to companies.

As the weather has been getting colder and colder I have noted that the car park that me and the staff use is constantly frosted over, I have raised this with the site managers numerous times but it seems grit e.t.c is never put down.

My concern is if someone has a slip and injures themselves and wants to make a claim is the claim against me as the employer or the site we are on since they didn't grit the car park?

Thanks for the help!
Page 1
    • WhyNot?
    • By WhyNot? 29th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    WhyNot?
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 5:40 PM
    Hello new to the forum so after some advise if possible please!

I run a small business with around 5 employees and as a result we work in a shared office (we have our own floor in a building). The site has around 4 other office builds on it and assigns parking spaces to companies.

As the weather has been getting colder and colder I have noted that the car park that me and the staff use is constantly frosted over, I have raised this with the site managers numerous times but it seems grit e.t.c is never put down.

My concern is if someone has a slip and injures themselves and wants to make a claim is the claim against me as the employer or the site we are on since they didn't grit the car park?

Thanks for the help!
    Originally posted by winged
    It will be entirely up to the complainant as to who they wish to pursue (if anyone)

If the complainant decides to take such action, it will be for the complainant to prove the defendant acted negligently.

If you ever receive a summons from anyone alleging they have been injured due to your negligence, pass it to your insurers immediately and get them to confirm whether or not they will indemnify you.
    If not, seek legal advice without delay.

If you want to prevent slipping up yourself in the car park, have you considered salting the car park yourself? You may want to check with the landlord that there are no objections to you doing so.
    One word of warning though, if you do this. If you salt the car park and someone then slips up and injures themself, you may then be negligent, even if you were not otherwise.
    Last edited by WhyNot?; 29-11-2017 at 5:46 PM.
    • doningtonphil
    • By doningtonphil 30th Nov 17, 11:30 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    doningtonphil
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:30 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 11:30 PM
    Many years ago as part of a college course we discussed duty of care and liability. One thing discussed was that if you clear snow form a path/put grit down it gives the impression that the surface is safe to walk on. If someone slips they could claim that the land owner had created the impression it was safe.

By not clearing the surface, you are leaving the visitor to make their own decision about whether to walk on it or not.

Regarding a sign that states the car park owner does not accept liability for any damage suffered in the car park - then, again, by providing a car park they have given the impression it is safe to park there, so say a rotten/dead tree that was also on the land blew over and landed on your car, the land owner would still be liable
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin