Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Woodburygooner
    • By Woodburygooner 29th Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Woodburygooner
    Renting from an overseas landlord
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    Renting from an overseas landlord 29th Nov 17 at 11:08 AM
    Hi guys,

I'm in discussion with a chap who claims to live in Denmark but owns a property in Exeter that he is looking to rent out. He hasn't yet given me the full address, and the photos look almost too good to be true. Now i have read a bit about people claiming to live overseas asking for money to be transferred in advance of viewing, but this guy has not asked this.

He has said as proof i have money available I need to arrange for a friend / family member to pay money into a MoneyGram cash pickup service, and after I sign the tenancy agreement we go and pick up the cash. I'm a little hesitant, i don't get why i can't just have the cash in hand.

As he won't tell me the exact address I cannot check land registry, I can't find any information online regarding the chap as he is overseas (allegedly), so I am feeling like this may be a scam.

What are your thoughts, have you heard of people doing this before legit?
Page 1
    • Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 29th Nov 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 2,226 Thanks
    Wyndham
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:11 AM
    Run away. Run away fast.

Anyone who asks for any sort of money transfer before you've even seen the place is up to no good.

Why pay out money before you've even seen it?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Nov 17, 11:11 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Comms69
    You haven't seen the house - why are you even discussing money...
    • greendoor665
    • By greendoor665 29th Nov 17, 11:13 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    greendoor665
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:13 AM
    Sounds like a scam to me. A proper landlord wouldn't ask you to use MoneyGram. Also if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 29th Nov 17, 11:13 AM
    • 5,532 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    00ec25
    He has said as proof i have money available I need to arrange for a friend / family member to pay money into a MoneyGram cash pickup service, and after I sign the tenancy agreement we go and pick up the cash. I'm a little hesitant, i don't get why i can't just have the cash in hand.
    Originally posted by Woodburygooner
    SPRINT, don't run, don't walk, AWAY

that is a classic part of exactly the scam you are thinking of

no legitimate LL ever has any reason whatsoever to ask for money via such an arrangement.

(and BTW, if you do ever have to deal with a legitimate overseas LL make sure he has given you written proof he is registered with HMRC under the "non resident landlord scheme" otherwise you are legally liable for paying over 20% of the rent direct to HMRC yourself as "his" tax deduction. If you don't make such a payment for an unregistered LL then HMRC can chase you for the tax instead of him)
    Last edited by 00ec25; 29-11-2017 at 11:16 AM.
    • Woodburygooner
    • By Woodburygooner 29th Nov 17, 11:18 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Woodburygooner
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:18 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:18 AM
    Yeah I am thinking that, it just seems odd that he doesn't want me to transfer money to him but to me.
    • Woodburygooner
    • By Woodburygooner 29th Nov 17, 11:19 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Woodburygooner
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:19 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:19 AM
    I'm not though, that's my point - he wants to see a receipt that shows i have the money in the MoneyGram account, then, when I have viewed the flat and signed the paperwork we go get the money.

I agree it sounds dodgy but to be clear I would not part with any money until I've seen it!!
    • aneary
    • By aneary 29th Nov 17, 11:21 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    aneary
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:21 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:21 AM
    What happens is you send the proof of the transfer which will have a transfer number.

He walks into money gram in Nigeria and withdraws the money using the transfer number.

There was a piece on this sort of thing a few years back on Rip off Britain, I'm guessing you saw the add on gumtree?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Nov 17, 11:22 AM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:22 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:22 AM
    I'm not though, that's my point - he wants to see a receipt that shows i have the money in the MoneyGram account, then, when I have viewed the flat and signed the paperwork we go get the money.

I agree it sounds dodgy but to be clear I would not part with any money until I've seen it!!

Why would you not just transfer it after the viewing.......
    • Woodburygooner
    • By Woodburygooner 29th Nov 17, 11:24 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Woodburygooner
    What happens is you send the proof of the transfer which will have a transfer number.

He walks into money gram in Nigeria and withdraws the money using the transfer number.

There was a piece on this sort of thing a few years back on Rip off Britain, I'm guessing you saw the add on gumtree?
    Originally posted by aneary
    Yeah i did as it goes.

Thanks everyone, I will give it a wide berth, appreciate your input.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 29th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 9,038 Posts
    • 59,496 Thanks
    LEJC
    How were you put in contact with this LL....via a LA,private add,friends and family....???
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 160 out 139 in ...£18.64 spend
    • Woodburygooner
    • By Woodburygooner 29th Nov 17, 11:28 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Woodburygooner
    How were you put in contact with this LL....via a LA,private add,friends and family....???
    Originally posted by LEJC
    It was a private advert on Gumtree. It all sounds pretty off to me so I have told him I'm not interested. Thanks!
    • aneary
    • By aneary 29th Nov 17, 11:29 AM
    • 799 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    aneary
    https://www.nus.org.uk/en/campaigns/the-lock/your-home/rental-scams/

This might help.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 29th Nov 17, 12:05 PM
    • 42,221 Posts
    • 49,016 Thanks
    G_M
    It was a private advert on Gumtree.

It just amazes me every time I hear of people considering puttting money into an unregulated investment as a result of a phonecall from a stranger, or responding to an email from their 'bank' by giving their online banking password, or....... handing out cash to an unknown 'landlord' to secure an unknown property.

I know people do fall for these scams, but unless they are elderly/with dementia, I just don't know how they can be so naive......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter