Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gold4silver
    • By gold4silver 29th Nov 17, 10:59 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 4Thanks
    gold4silver
    British Gas Engineers incentives
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:59 AM
    British Gas Engineers incentives 29th Nov 17 at 10:59 AM
    Ever wondered why your British Gas engineer is trying to flog you a Hive, carbon monoxide alarm or new boiler?

Could it be to do with the personal incentives which are on top of job credits and team rewards:

Product ------------------------- Payment

Boiler remote diagnostics -------- N/A
    Boiler Lead ------------------------ £15
    CO Detector ----------------------- £1
    Hive 2 £199 or £249 ------------- £10
    Hive 2 £149 ----------------------- £10
    Fernox Filter sealed system ------ £10
    Fernox filter Open system ------- £10
    CombiSave ------------------------ £10
    Trace-heater ---------------------- £10
    Hydroflow --------------------------£3
    Condensulate --------------------- £10
    Powerflush -------------------------£15
    Other upgrade £199-£500 ------- £10
    Other upgrade over £500 -------- £15
    Last edited by gold4silver; 05-12-2017 at 7:53 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 3rd Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 10,313 Posts
    • 9,356 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    If the on site engineers are pushing those products for hose incentives then they are either hard up , mugs or both.

Flog a boiler lead and get £15? HHahahahaahaaahahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

They are being taken for mugs.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • gold4silver
    • By gold4silver 3rd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    gold4silver
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    If the on site engineers are pushing those products for hose incentives then they are either hard up , mugs or both.

Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    They don't have to do any work just call a number and pass the phone over, some make 1000's £ a year.
    The other parts, team reward and job credits are worth a lot more.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 4th Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    • 10,313 Posts
    • 9,356 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    They are still mugs and worse, some of them are ripping off customers. I have first had experience of one of their "engineers" mis selling a new combi boiler to an elderly lone female when it could in fact have been easily repaired with a part which is freely available.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • miniemma
    • By miniemma 5th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    miniemma
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 7:40 AM
    No surprise to see power flush at the higher rate!
    • gold4silver
    • By gold4silver 5th Dec 17, 8:18 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    gold4silver
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:18 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 8:18 AM
    They are still mugs and worse, some of them are ripping off customers. I have first had experience of one of their "engineers" mis selling a new combi boiler to an elderly lone female when it could in fact have been easily repaired with a part which is freely available.
    That would be very easy to prove and deal with legally, it would be unlikely to get that far, just a letter with the evidence would be enough in my experience, why don't you assist her getting redress?

No surprise to see power flush at the higher rate!
    Originally posted by miniemma
    Actually, quoting for a poweflush is far less about incentive and far more about conditions, once quoted, you are no longer covered for any sludge related repairs until it's done!

Really and honestly, you would not normally be quoted for a powerflush unless it's needed, it's very low on the list of products to be pushed.

Hive and boilers are at the top of the list and anyone not selling in sufficient numbers...........
    Last edited by gold4silver; 07-12-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 5th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 10,259 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 10:05 AM
    Suppose it depends on the Engineer you get, they've never tried to sell me anything.
    • gold4silver
    • By gold4silver 5th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    gold4silver
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    Suppose it depends on the Engineer you get, they've never tried to sell me anything.
    Originally posted by SuiDreams
    The whole checklist is designed to help the engineer sell as they are supposed to go through all the no's they tick.

Are all parts available yes/no > That starts a conversation!
    Carbon monoxide alarm working and in date yes/no > Guess what I have one in the van for £29.99
    Magnetic filter checked yes/no > another conversation prompt
    All controls checked (including Hive if fitted) Yes/no > not going to be a no but still a conversation starter.

Turn the sheet over

This is your energy efficiency, a new a rated boiler will save £xxx.xx a year and £xxx.xx over 15 years.

Inefficient and lack of parts > now a two pronged approach.

Look at the checklist again, it's not really a list of things checked, its a checklist of products that can potentially be flogged.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 5th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 10,259 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 5th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    The whole checklist is designed to help the engineer sell as they are supposed to go through all the no's they tick.

Are all parts available yes/no > That starts a conversation!
    Carbon monoxide alarm working and in date yes/no > Guess what I have one in the van for £29.99
    Magnetic filter checked yes/no > another conversation prompt
    All controls checked (including Hive if fitted) Yes/no > not going to be a no but still a conversation starter.

Turn the sheet over

This is your energy efficiency, a new a rated boiler will save £xxx.xx a year and £xxx.xx over 15 years.

Inefficient and lack of parts > now a two pronged approach.

Look at the checklist again, it's not really a list of things checked, its a checklist of products that can potentially be flogged.
    Originally posted by gold4silver

yes, but the Engineer I usually get just checks the boxes says its an old boiler and parts are limited, but no point replacing it while its working and doesn't try and sell me anything. Just does the job of servicing the boiler and leaves.
    • gold4silver
    • By gold4silver 5th Dec 17, 3:09 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    gold4silver
    yes, but the Engineer I usually get just checks the boxes says its an old boiler and parts are limited, but no point replacing it while its working and doesn't try and sell me anything. Just does the job of servicing the boiler and leaves.
    Originally posted by SuiDreams
    Lucky you

That would not be good for his/her review, I think your engineers will be spending some time with the "success coaches" being guided how to promote company products in an "ethical" way.
    Last edited by gold4silver; 05-12-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    • MeterMan
    • By MeterMan 5th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 280 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    MeterMan
    This is not for all BG engineers.

BG meter fitters only get an incentive for boiler leads. (appointment for salesman)
    • mwbrown
    • By mwbrown 5th Dec 17, 8:22 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mwbrown
    british gas tried the "your system needs a power flush" many times with us over the years we were with them...... at one time in the cold winter months - they tried to blag us that it was a blockage and a powerflush would magically cure it - got a gas safe engineer out for a second opinion and a power flush would never have cured the fault - it was a frozen pipe causing the boiler to not work.

Had the boiler replaced by a local gas safe engineer not long after and they flushed the sytem out and replaced the boiler and we have had no problems at all (installed 5 years ago and no mention of the system ever needing a powerflush by the installer when it is serviced year!)
    • gold4silver
    • By gold4silver 6th Dec 17, 12:54 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    gold4silver
    british gas tried the "your system needs a power flush" many times with us over the years we were with them...... at one time in the cold winter months - they tried to blag us that it was a blockage and a powerflush would magically cure it - got a gas safe engineer out for a second opinion and a power flush would never have cured the fault - it was a frozen pipe causing the boiler to not work.

Had the boiler replaced by a local gas safe engineer not long after and they flushed the sytem out and replaced the boiler and we have had no problems at all (installed 5 years ago and no mention of the system ever needing a powerflush by the installer when it is serviced year!)
    Originally posted by mwbrown
    Little bit confusing post? BG recommended Power flush, you had new boiler that was flushed and then you say it's not needed a flush since, why would it?
    You followed BG advice and its not been needed since, exactly what would be expected, no?
    • mwbrown
    • By mwbrown 9th Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mwbrown
    the system was flushed through (not using a powerflush machine! as recommended by BG!).
    • Notmyfault
    • By Notmyfault 9th Dec 17, 3:17 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Notmyfault
    Our boiler of 40+ years has gone to the scrap heap in the sky. British Gas has been telling us for years there are no parts available now for it.
    BG salesman was really good (my man knows about boilers) so he never went into a great speel about stuff. You need this etc. He asked about Hive and we said no thanks. No pressure sale at all. The engineers who come to service the old boiler were very good. They all live locally. Very handy...��.
    Can't slag BG off.
    • gold4silver
    • By gold4silver 9th Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    gold4silver

Do you think they might want a job?

We are seriously talking sell or be sacked and you call us mugs?

I'm trying in my less than subtle way share what BG are up to, how they pressure their engineers on a daily basis to sell, how they threaten us with the sack unless we meet sales targets..... and ultimately its BG customers that are being ripped off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,654Posts Today

5,852Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin