Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geeku
    • By geeku 29th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    geeku
    Debt collection agency late payment fees - is this enforceable?
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:13 AM
    Debt collection agency late payment fees - is this enforceable? 29th Nov 17 at 10:13 AM
    Hi all. I was recently contacted by a debt collection agency stating I owe money to FedEx (for import duty/tax), with late payment fee incurred. This was for a package received in July, and I moved shortly afterwards. From experience, couriers usually request payment before delivery is made, but I've since learnt that FedEx likes to bill you after with no notice of any fees to expect beforehand. As such, I did not know I owed them anything.

Whilst I don't dispute the import fees (even though this is a 3rd replacement for an item, for which I already paid tax the first time round; though paid nothing for the 2nd), I argued that since I only found out about this charge after they contacted me by phone, I shouldn't have to pay the late payment fee.
    At no point did I agree to any delivery terms and conditions as delivery was arranged by the seller, so how can the charges be justified? What's stopping them from adding £100 per week, for example?

So my question is, do I have any leg to stand on this matter? Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • Cotswoldtony
    • By Cotswoldtony 29th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Cotswoldtony
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:02 PM
    If you are now in the hands of a debt collection agency this will either be an independent company who purchased your debt or a debt collection department at FedEx.
    You only pay import duty/tax for the item once so if you have proof the item received was faulty and the seller agrees you are only being sent a replacement for the item you have already paid import duty/tax on in the first place.
    Contact the debt collection agency and request an itemized invoice for the alleged debt and late payment fees and import duty/tax paid.
    Request a copy with wet signature of the contract you signed with Fedex agreeing to their terms and conditions.
    Contact your supplier to put in writing/email they have sent you replacement item/s for faulty goods you received from them.
    Wait for their reply and go from there.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 29th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 12,699 Posts
    • 12,042 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:06 PM
    Typically these import duty debts are fairly small amounts of money which do not get chased after much more than a letter or two.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • geeku
    • By geeku 3rd Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    geeku
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:32 AM
    Thanks for the advice.

The debt is no longer being handled by FedEx. I was told that I should claim the tax back from HMRC for the item and only then would they void the charge.

I know it's not usually advised, but I'm going to wait it out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,215Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin