Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • giddy11
    • By giddy11 29th Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    giddy11
    Stamp duty and new houses
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    Stamp duty and new houses 29th Nov 17 at 8:40 AM
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone could help make things a little clearer in my situation.

Trying to keep it as simple as possible.
    My wife passed away 18months ago. Our house/mortgage was in her name.
    The house was transferred to myself and I paid off a good chunk of the value of the house and got a small mortgage.

Original house sale was £116k
    Mortgage now in my name for £25k.

Now I have met someone else and she has a property herself that was purchased for £125k.

So moving forward we are thinking about possibly buying another house for ourselves and looking at renting out our 2 houses. This ‘new’ house would be £250k max.

So to try to summarise what kind of stamp duty tax would we be hit with? Would my house that I technically inherited be liable for SD tax?
Page 1
    • ArchtiectBOX
    • By ArchtiectBOX 29th Nov 17, 8:54 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ArchtiectBOX
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:54 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:54 AM
    you'd pay 3% on the first 125k and 5% on the rest or £10,000 on a £250k house.
    Last edited by ArchtiectBOX; 29-11-2017 at 9:00 AM.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 29th Nov 17, 8:57 AM
    • 7,000 Posts
    • 12,612 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:57 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:57 AM
    what kind of stamp duty tax would we be hit with? Would my house that I technically inherited be liable for SD tax?
    Originally posted by giddy11
    You don't pay any stamp duty on the house you inherited because you didn't pay anything to buy it - there was no sale and purchase.

However, looking forward, there would be

- normal stamp duty to pay on what is being bought for you both to live in ; this is not a 'first time buyer' place because (as this is not a 'first house' for at least one of the buyers)

- extra stamp duty to pay on what is being bought for you both to live in ; because a second property home is being bought on top of the property already owned and it's not replacing your main residences, it's in addition to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,234Posts Today

7,418Users online

Martin's Twitter