Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shadowst17
    • By shadowst17 29th Nov 17, 8:12 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    shadowst17
    Recent Graduate First Time Renting Questions
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:12 AM
    Recent Graduate First Time Renting Questions 29th Nov 17 at 8:12 AM
    I'm a recent graduate and have just gotten a full time job that starts on the 2nd January. I need to move down to London.
    My questions:
    • I'm not sure how rent is done for the first and second month. If I was to move in on the 27th of December I'd have to pay the deposit and the first full month of rent. How is the second month done? As I probably didn't move in on the typical rent day how are the extra days done? Do I pay the extra/few less few days the next month when the typical rent day comes by? I'm quite confused about this.
    • My main issue is I can't afford to pay 2 months of rent before my first pay cheque on the 24th of January. (after the deposit and other fees) So my attempt to avoid that would be to move in roughly 27-30th December. Due to this how soon should I start enquiring about places? I've found quite a few nice places on Spareroom.co.uk(House Share) but a lot of them are available now. I'm presuming it's typically a first come first serve situation? I can't view a place and then put down the deposit and move in say 2-3 weeks later and not pay the rent for the time between that?
    • A few of the places i've looked at need references, i've been in a privately ran student accommodation for University would that suffice?
    Last edited by shadowst17; 29-11-2017 at 1:42 PM. Reason: Mentioned House Share
Page 1
    • elverson
    • By elverson 29th Nov 17, 8:19 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    elverson
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:19 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:19 AM
    1. The tenancy will start on a particular day agreed between you and the landlord. In the following months the rent is due on the same day of the month. So if the tenancy starts on 27 Dec, rent is then due on 28 Dec, 29 Dec etc. It would be advisable to align this with the day you get paid (assuming this is monthly) so that you aren't in a position where you have to pay rent before your salary goes in.

2. Moving in over the Christmas period might be difficult. It may be easier to try something like Airbnb for a couple of weeks. This would also give you more time to explore areas and view properties.

3. This really depends on the landlord - some will accept a reference from your employer as well.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 29th Nov 17, 11:00 AM
    • 5,566 Posts
    • 4,971 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:00 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:00 AM
    the date your tenancy starts may, or may not, be the date your LL wants the rent paid.

it is not unusual to have the rent paid at a different date to the tenancy period. Obvious reason being the LL's mortgage is due on a certain date that does not tie in with when your rental started.

if that is the case, just like anyother fixed interval payment system the first payment may, or may not, have an "adjustment" factor applied to it to pick up the overlap. Something to always remember when it comes to you ending your tenancy in the future, you don't want to paying for the same period twice.
    Last edited by 00ec25; 29-11-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 29th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    Are you looking at house shares or renting a flat.

You may be better looking at house shares as generally they are a bit more flexible with regards to length of terms (and cheaper) and references. It gives you more options if you end up in a horrible area (in London one street can be great the next hell).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,081Posts Today

6,406Users online

Martin's Twitter