Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 29th Nov 17, 7:19 AM
    • 1,792Posts
    • 6,558Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Quick and sometimes obvious time savers..
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:19 AM
    Quick and sometimes obvious time savers.. 29th Nov 17 at 7:19 AM
    Since this is such a busy time I wondered if anyone had some easy time savers that worked for them?
    Starting the Christmas card preparations I've realised that writing the cards out by hand is much quicker than designing and printing address labels which I have been doing for the last few years. It also gives me some handwriting practice as I've realised that I don't do so much of that these days and my writing has suffered. My old English teacher would be horrified
    Another tip is to save the cards from last year and just copy from them. Saves trying to remember the names of partners, children, dogs...
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
Page 3
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 30th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    I did the same thing when I designed my kitchen, moneystooshort
    tomention, and my sister always comments on how easy it is to use! It's only small so planning was essential. I love the fact that I can empty the dishwasher without moving very far from it at all. A big double- doored larder is great for unpacking shopping and preparing for baking sessions. Grouping items in plastic baskets in the fridge and larder also saves time when moving items in and out.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 30th Nov 17, 6:51 PM
    • 14,266 Posts
    • 38,660 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Exactly Eeny If our homes were factories there would be people going round with clipboards and stopwatches etc to see that there was absolutely no wasted time (in order to save the bosses paying out money on wages if they could help it).

Even though I worked in an office - latterly we got that sort of treatment too. Gobsmacked was me....and decided the only positive thing I could take from it was the message that housework is just as much "work" as anything I got paid salary for and, instead of saving the employer money, I would be saving myself time (to do what I want with).

Errr...those thoughts re the work "time and motion expert" came after the sheer outrage I felt at that and then sitting and working out how to try and outsmart their best endeavours to "factory-ize" my work time.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 30th Nov 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 7,920 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Please do be very careful that this box is not visible from your front door or that items, especially car keys or house keys are not within reach of a long stick with a hook on the end which can be poked through your letter box by a potential thief.

The police in our area are continually warning us of this as car keys or house keys can be "fished" in this manner and cars stolen from driveways.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Yep, I should probably have caveated that with it's not visible from the letterbox nor within reach of it either! It's also kept enclosed. We also live in an upstairs flat so you'd have to get into the building first.

Keep said box in a drawer in the hallway if you can get a coat hanger thru your letterbox!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 30th Nov 17, 10:10 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,596 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    New kitchen
    Hi all

My new to me house came with a very beautiful new kitchen but I dont think it was designed by someone who actually cooks proper meals. I walk miles in it!! My old kitchen in my other house was very small but you could reach everything with a half step or so. However i am viewing it as an opportunity to loose some weight!

Is it working? Nope!!! Too many locally made Pasties and Beer and Ice Cream and Clotted Cream round here! But seriously I am working on it!

Habit that I have, as other poster on here is while the kettle boils chore achieving - drying up dishes/loading washing machine/hanging washing out (with a break to put water on tea bag and let it brew!)/wiping down kitchen surfaces or doors etc. Very good as I then dont feel time is wasted.
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Dec 17, 9:00 AM
    • 15,634 Posts
    • 127,781 Thanks
    JackieO
    I laughed at that Jackie. I had a friend who measured out her porridge oats into a Pyrex bowl before bedtime ready to put in the microwave in the morning and one day she came down to breakfast and found mice had scoffed the lot, leaving a trail of droppings all over her worktop
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Mine is always in a saucepan with a lid No pesky mouse is going to pinch my porridge
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 1st Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 34,192 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I havenít sent Christmas cards for years either.

My timesaving tips would be

Always sort the kitchen out before bed, I set up coffee machine for the morning, put dishwasher on, clean down the sides, get any meat out of freezer and into fridge for next days meal etc

I lay out my work clothes the night before, as I am not naturally a morning person, and I can just grab them on my way to the shower each morning.

Also, make work lunches the night before, for same reasons as above

Meal planning - saved me a fortune over the years or I would wander the supermarket aimlessly

Not life changing, but certainly ensures I am not too grumpy in the mornings and the start of the day goes smoothly
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 1st Dec 17, 5:15 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,014 Thanks
    LameWolf
    If you need to remember to do something *tomorrow*, put the equipment out to do it, or if it's something that needs to leave the house, put it by the front door *tonight*.

But tell your partner, in case they "kindly" tidy it away again.

Eg: I need to make bread tomorrow, I ask Mr LW to reach the breadmaker down tonight (it lives on top of the fridge/freezer when not in use.)

I need to remember to take the used water filters to the recycling point when we go into town tomorrow, I put them in a bag beside the front door tonight.

And so on.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 1st Dec 17, 6:29 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    Hi all

My new to me house came with a very beautiful new kitchen but I dont think it was designed by someone who actually cooks proper meals. I walk miles in it!! My old kitchen in my other house was very small but you could reach everything with a half step or so. However i am viewing it as an opportunity to loose some weight!

Is it working? Nope!!! Too many locally made Pasties and Beer and Ice Cream and Clotted Cream round here! But seriously I am working on it!

Habit that I have, as other poster on here is while the kettle boils chore achieving - drying up dishes/loading washing machine/hanging washing out (with a break to put water on tea bag and let it brew!)/wiping down kitchen surfaces or doors etc. Very good as I then dont feel time is wasted.
    Nite all
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum
    Well your kitchen sounds better than joining a gym and cheaper too. No time lost travelling, I think you have hit on something.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 1st Dec 17, 8:31 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,596 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    thepurplepixie LOL made me laugh - hadnt considered traveling costs and time loss factors hehehe!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Dec 17, 9:49 PM
    • 17,172 Posts
    • 102,664 Thanks
    maman
    I find that meal planning starting from what I have in and a shopping list of essential ingredients is not only money saving but time saving too. With my list I can whizz round the supermarket in no time.

Another time saving tip is for onions. When peeled and chopped I soften them with a splash of water in the microwave. It's so much quicker to fry/brown them after that than starting from scratch.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 1st Dec 17, 10:37 PM
    • 35,722 Posts
    • 45,995 Thanks
    McKneff
    Okay, save time getting that foliage off strawberries

Strawbrry in one hand, a straw, a MCDonald size in the other

Put the straw at the bottom of the strawberry and push it upward taking the hull out anf the greenery too.
    REALLY QUICK, BUT ONLY DO THE ONES that you need,
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 2nd Dec 17, 3:50 AM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 23,446 Thanks
    MMF007
    Thanks for the ideas and tips, to be honest I wasn't thinking particularly of Christmas although they are most welcome and very relevant at the moment. It was just that I was starting my Christmas card writing.
    I'm sure that any time saving tips will be useful to refer to throughout the season and hopefully into the new year.
    One of the shopping list things that I do is carry a list of all items that I buy in Morrison's on an airmail envelope so that it's easily spotted in my bag. I usually shop in Lidl's but there are certain things from Morrison's that I prefer or can't get from Lidl's.
    Having the list handy in my bag means that I have a quick checklist when I do visit and any coupons etc can be kept in the envelope ready for use.
    PS Moneysaving because I have a batch of airmail envelopes that I don't suppose I'll use up in a month of Sundays since emails and Skype became the norm...
    Originally posted by Eenymeeny
    Genius! Having the list on an envelope with the relevant coupons inside. I love that! Idea duly nicked.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 2nd Dec 17, 7:06 AM
    • 11,441 Posts
    • 219,911 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Using the bottom tier of the stainless steel steamer pan for cooking other things when steaming veg in the mid layer. Such as foodstuffs not belonging to that meal.

Boil eggs six at a time (I have two daily with breakfast salad).

Put things which have to leave the next day in a bag just inside the front door (I can be terribly absent-minded).

Chuck undies in a small basket on top of the COD, fast to grab and go.

Have costume jewellery necklaces and bracelets of a rack hanging over the back of the door. If I can see them, I'm more likely to actually wear them, and the compliments are nice. Particularly of something you paid a whopping 20p for at the chazzer............

Consolidating errands, so I don't waste time and energy hiking all over the place. Limiting errands to a maximum of 2-3 at a time, so I don't get overwhelmed and harrassed.

Shopping for Xmas and birthday cards throughout the year, with a list so not forgetting what you have. Keeping a modest box of small things suitable for those people I exchange small gifts with, as well as a shoebox of cards. Not having to rush out for a Get Well or other card in a hurry, or venture into shops at all in December is so relaxing.

Reading any and all articles or comments on simplying and filching all the most applicable ones to use myself.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• srn
    • By srn 2nd Dec 17, 12:01 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    srn
    I uz txt spk aL d time, it annoys d heck out of everyone,but saves me lots of tym.lol!
    • thepurplepixie
    • By thepurplepixie 2nd Dec 17, 1:29 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 1,656 Thanks
    thepurplepixie
    thepurplepixie LOL made me laugh - hadnt considered traveling costs and time loss factors hehehe!
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum
    Money saving and time saving, win win. I often say to my DD and DDIL that I find it funny that they spend alot of money on time saving/labour saving gadgets and then spend time and money going to the gym to burn off the calories they didn't use because of the labour saving gadgets. They laugh but haven't got an answer.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 2nd Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 17,596 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Am currently saving on gym time and money because my GD lives with me and at 21 months I tend to do a lot of weight lifting! i.e her in and out of playpen - up stairs when asleep etc etc + running afte her in an attempt to stop her going down the bigger kids stuff in the park's playground!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 3rd Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,014 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I'm afraid "weightlifting" for me these days has to be "I'll *weight* here while you lift that".
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 3rd Dec 17, 5:50 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 4,282 Thanks
    Tink_04
    The timer on the washing machine is a great thing! My washer come in at 5am is done by the time I’m up and if it’s nice hung out or put on an airer - just remember to press the button before bed!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,141Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter