Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 29th Nov 17, 7:19 AM
    • 1,792Posts
    • 6,558Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Quick and sometimes obvious time savers..
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:19 AM
    Quick and sometimes obvious time savers.. 29th Nov 17 at 7:19 AM
    Since this is such a busy time I wondered if anyone had some easy time savers that worked for them?
    Starting the Christmas card preparations I've realised that writing the cards out by hand is much quicker than designing and printing address labels which I have been doing for the last few years. It also gives me some handwriting practice as I've realised that I don't do so much of that these days and my writing has suffered. My old English teacher would be horrified
    Another tip is to save the cards from last year and just copy from them. Saves trying to remember the names of partners, children, dogs...
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
Page 1
    • lily117
    • By lily117 29th Nov 17, 8:01 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    lily117
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:01 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:01 AM
    As you buy presents, if you wrap them straight away, keep a note of what you have already bought and who for so you don't end up doubling up.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 29th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 39,445 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:14 AM
    Don't wrap presents with paper and sellotape, instead loosely wrap them in scarves and even pillowcases. There is still surprise, but you save money, time and resources.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 29th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 3,530 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:59 AM
    I keep a Christmas card list, which gets updated every year (some people die and drop off the list, other people have babies, neighbours and work colleagues come and go). I'm old-fashioned enough to have it on a sheet of paper, so it's now forming a sort of short-hand history of my life - people who once meant a lot who have drifted away, relatives no longer with us, new people who are special to me, and so on. It saves having to start thinking from scratch every year, and avoids the risk of missing anyone out.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 47,839 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:14 AM
    I keep a Christmas card list, which gets updated every year (some people die and drop off the list, other people have babies, neighbours and work colleagues come and go). I'm old-fashioned enough to have it on a sheet of paper, so it's now forming a sort of short-hand history of my life - people who once meant a lot who have drifted away, relatives no longer with us, new people who are special to me, and so on. It saves having to start thinking from scratch every year, and avoids the risk of missing anyone out.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    I keep a list too but mine is a Word document.
    That means you don't have to keep a load of old cards.

I do Christmas shopping throughout the year, whenever I see something that I know will be appreciated, and I keep a list of that too and periodically check it for what I've bought.

I buy food items that have a long use-by date (e.g. cheese and cold meats) when I see them so I'm not overwhelmed with loads of shopping in the few days before Christmas.
    • elona
    • By elona 29th Nov 17, 9:57 AM
    • 11,321 Posts
    • 60,733 Thanks
    elona
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:57 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:57 AM
    My dds always joke that I use so much sticky tape on gifts that they can't open them so this year I bought a pack of gift bags of various sizes that close with a double ribbon tie that makes a nice bow. It made wrapping much easier and I am hoping to keep and reuse the bags.

I have a list of who I send cards to and have some sticky labels which I write the name and address on and then stick onto envelopes so if I make a mistake I don't ruin an envelope.

This year is the first time I have been writing down exactly what I have wrapped and for who as well as a note of what has still to be delivered and it has been really useful. Before I used to jot down ideas and buy things then wonder if I had got everything and panic at the last minute.

This is also the first time I have ordered a couple of meat and veg hampers so I have only fresh veg, eggs, cheeses etc to think about.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Nov 17, 10:20 AM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 47,839 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:20 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:20 AM
    My dds always joke that I use so much sticky tape on gifts that they can't open them so this year I bought a pack of gift bags of various sizes that close with a double ribbon tie that makes a nice bow. It made wrapping much easier and I am hoping to keep and reuse the bags.
    Originally posted by elona
    We always keep the gift bags - birthday and Christmas - and recycle them round friends and family.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    • 14,255 Posts
    • 38,618 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    Yep...that's one I do and I must hoick out last years list soon and have a think about whether there's any new people to add on for this year.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 29th Nov 17, 10:25 AM
    • 14,255 Posts
    • 38,618 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:25 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:25 AM
    Would be good to have any timesaving tips for year round from peeps please?

I've finally got into the idea of making sure I keep a list on me of things to buy/do "in town" on me (ie apart from the weekly supermarket trip - which has to be a "special trip" as there's nothing I want near it). Now I've got "regular" things I go to "in town" - then I look at that list on my way out from those activities and see if there's anything I need to buy/do whilst in town anyway.

That way I usually manage to avoid special trips walking into town for just one or two things - unless I want to of course.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 29th Nov 17, 2:01 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 3,530 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    The OP specifically asked for time saving tips 'Since this is such a busy time...' hence the Christmas theme.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Nov 17, 2:37 PM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 47,839 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Would be good to have any timesaving tips for year round from peeps please?

I've finally got into the idea of making sure I keep a list on me of things to buy/do "in town" on me (ie apart from the weekly supermarket trip - which has to be a "special trip" as there's nothing I want near it). Now I've got "regular" things I go to "in town" - then I look at that list on my way out from those activities and see if there's anything I need to buy/do whilst in town anyway.

That way I usually manage to avoid special trips walking into town for just one or two things - unless I want to of course.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    The OP specifically asked for time saving tips 'Since this is such a busy time...' hence the Christmas theme.
    Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Christmas specific board and the poster above can ask her year-round question on the OS board.
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 29th Nov 17, 2:40 PM
    • 7,591 Posts
    • 8,463 Thanks
    pelirocco
    I save more time.............I dont send any cards
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 29th Nov 17, 2:57 PM
    • 10,048 Posts
    • 107,933 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I keep a list too but mine is a Word document.
    That means you don't have to keep a load of old cards.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I do something similar; I use an OpenOffice spreadsheet, and it has lists from several years back - the list seems to grow shorter by the year, as people die off.

Pelirocco if it was left to me, I wouldn't bother, but Mr LW likes to send cards. We don't do gifts though; gave that up years ago when Mr LW was out of work and we were skint and we've carefully never restarted the practise.

Not to do with Yule or Xmas, but with birthday cards, I have a loose leaf file with those clear folders in, one for each person we send a birthday card to, with a sticker on with the persons name and birthday in pen, and their address in pencil (easy to change if they move house) and when I have a card ready (I make my own these days) I pop it in the appropriate folder, ready to use.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 29th Nov 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 6,558 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Thanks for the ideas and tips, to be honest I wasn't thinking particularly of Christmas although they are most welcome and very relevant at the moment. It was just that I was starting my Christmas card writing.
    I'm sure that any time saving tips will be useful to refer to throughout the season and hopefully into the new year.
    One of the shopping list things that I do is carry a list of all items that I buy in Morrison's on an airmail envelope so that it's easily spotted in my bag. I usually shop in Lidl's but there are certain things from Morrison's that I prefer or can't get from Lidl's.
    Having the list handy in my bag means that I have a quick checklist when I do visit and any coupons etc can be kept in the envelope ready for use.
    PS Moneysaving because I have a batch of airmail envelopes that I don't suppose I'll use up in a month of Sundays since emails and Skype became the norm...
    Last edited by Eenymeeny; 29-11-2017 at 4:44 PM.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 29th Nov 17, 5:57 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    esmy
    I save more time.............I dont send any cards
    Originally posted by pelirocco
    Neither do I, other than very close family. I decided last year to make a charity donation instead - and it doesn't appear that anyone noticed the absence of a card.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 29th Nov 17, 7:20 PM
    • 3,275 Posts
    • 6,936 Thanks
    jackyann
    I think the sending of cards sometimes depends on the life you have led. I have so many old friends who have moved- and so have I -and this is a way of remembering them, and as trailingspouse says - the story of my life.
    I have friends who seem to see most of their friends and relatives frequently, and I can see why they don't send cards.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 29th Nov 17, 7:30 PM
    • 7,882 Posts
    • 26,811 Thanks
    Primrose
    I am increasingly sending a cheerful email letter instead of Christmas cards to all my contacts who have an email address, especially for those living overseas.

I have a computer diary that enables me to enter dates that recur every year like birthdays, renewals for insurance policies/car tax so I never have to bother remembering. (Readdle) or you can use Google Calendars .

For all insurance, policies (car, contents, house etc) or fixed term savings accounts, I enter an automatic reminder a fortnight beforehand to give time to research for alternative/cheaper options.

I bulk buy lots of birthday cards in advance and keep them in a folder with books of stamps so that I!m never caught short but if I do forget, I have some nice cheerful balloon or champagne pictures I can insert in an email to redeem myself and rescue the day!

I keep spare £1 coins in an empty Benecol pot in my car’s glove compartment so I,m never stuck for change in car parks.

Menu planning saves time, especially batch cooking of minced beef which can be adapted for spag Bol, chile con carne or cottage pie!

I keep a To Do List on the Dining room table. It helps keep me focused even if the chores do t always get done as fast as ai would like.

Items which need to be taken upstairs are put on the bottom step to be taken up next time somebody goes up rather than making a special journey.
    • wort
    • By wort 29th Nov 17, 7:48 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 7,217 Thanks
    wort
    I have a magnetic board cheap from tesco that I jot down things I need whilst shopping. Then just take a photo when going out. The board can then be wiped.
    My biggest time saver is having my house kondoed. Now everything has a place I don't waste time searching for anything.
    A lidded box in the wardrobe contains gifts bought for work colleagues birthdays, bought when I see them on sale and ready when needed.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 29th Nov 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Don't wrap presents with paper and sellotape, instead loosely wrap them in scarves and even pillowcases. There is still surprise, but you save money, time and resources.
    Originally posted by Caterina
    I use teatowels! They make great bottle bags when you leave them folded in thirds and use ribbon to tie the neck together.

Get a seasonal towel and it really works and I've never met anyone who doesn't need a new teatowel.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 29th Nov 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Neither do I, other than very close family. I decided last year to make a charity donation instead - and it doesn't appear that anyone noticed the absence of a card.
    Originally posted by esmy
    I do notice the stopping of cards, but would never dream of calling someone and asking why the cards stopped. I just send them to let people know I remember them.

Yes, my list has declined over the years but that's life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,015Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter