Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 29th Nov 17, 6:37 AM
    • 271Posts
    • 55Thanks
    n1guy
    Tiles lifting from fireplace?
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:37 AM
    Tiles lifting from fireplace? 29th Nov 17 at 6:37 AM
    We are fans of lighting the fire. We've not had much luck however with fireplaces. The last 2 houses all the tiles cracked on the hearth and we had to replace with slate. We're in this house a month now, its got a marble hearth so we thought would have no issues.

This https://imgur.com/a/VSt8s is the new fireplace. As you can see all tiled onto what seems to be plywood or something hollow. The issue is the tiles are all lifting out and are ready to pop off. They are not stuck on the back, the only thing holding them together is the grout between them. You would almost think thats a sheet of something just sat in their as all the tiles are stuck together but all sitting out from the plywood back.

Any ideas how I would go about fixing this? Them tiles dont go right up to the top, they stop just under that wooden shelf you can see so I can get in behind them.
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 29th Nov 17, 7:10 AM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    Furts
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:10 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:10 AM
    My guess is the heat is expanding the tiles and causing them to pop off. A good firm adhesive fully bedded could be a cure - Gripfill for example. But there should be an expansion gap around the fire - the tiles should not go tight to it, so either remove the grout, or re-set the tiles further back, This joint could be finished off with intumescent sealant - comes in "mastic" tubes.

If the framework/boarding is loose, or dodgy, then you will need to address this first - without seeing this none of us Forum folks can answer that.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 29th Nov 17, 7:31 AM
    • 23,706 Posts
    • 89,682 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:31 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:31 AM
    If that is a real smokeless fuel type of fire, then there is no way it should be surrounded by plywood!

Was it installed by someone with appropriate accreditation?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • n1guy
    • By n1guy 29th Nov 17, 7:48 AM
    • 271 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    n1guy
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:48 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:48 AM
    Yes that seems to be the issue. Tiles expanding causing them to bow out.

That surround you see is mostly made from plywood. The back the tiles are on is hollow and also feels like wood. As for who installed it don’t know, was here when we moved in.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 29th Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:40 AM
    Yes that seems to be the issue. Tiles expanding causing them to bow out.

That surround you see is mostly made from plywood. The back the tiles are on is hollow and also feels like wood. As for who installed it donít know, was here when we moved in.
    Originally posted by n1guy
    I would rip the surround out and do it again properly, after getting the rest of the install checked by a pro.

Installed by a cowboy, plywood up against a woodburner, its not a fire risk, its a fire certainty, just a matter of when!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 29th Nov 17, 9:21 AM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 1,505 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:21 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:21 AM
    Agree with the above. This is one of those situations when is the perfect emoji.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,702Posts Today

5,931Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin