Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Temitope
    • By Temitope 29th Nov 17, 4:34 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    What are my options please?
    • #1
    • 29th Nov 17, 4:34 AM
    What are my options please? 29th Nov 17 at 4:34 AM
    Great day, thank you for the good works.

    Am happy to be part of this in anyway.

    Please I need help/advice:
    I am 40, British, married. I lived in Nigeria with parents until I returned to England in 2014.
    Ever since I returned, i have been working in a printing firm on a 19,000pounds/annun job and pay tax monthly till date.

    I actually trained as a graphic artist / artworker but I did on an outdated softwares.

    I am seriously looking into getting re-trained in my primary interest which is (graphic designing).

    My daughter has her British with passport number (......) but she lives with my beautiful wife abroad whose visa application is still in process because I cant look after her (my daughter) "alone".

    I do not want to get stock in this very low paying job. I really wish I can train for what I truly believed in for 3 - 6 months even more if required because I already have the foundation training spanning over 10 years as an artist.


    1. Please what kind of help or benefit I can leverage on for few months while I get trained?
    2. Because I am married, a father and a tax payer, can I get anything from these?


    Thank you
    Last edited by Temitope; 29-11-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Page 1
    • chesky
    • By chesky 29th Nov 17, 7:19 AM
    • 880 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    • #2
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:19 AM
    • #2
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:19 AM
    Visit your local Citizens Advice - they will tell you if and what you might be entitled to. They do have a website but direct contact is better.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    • #3
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    • #3
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:04 AM
    I 'think' you can claim child benefit.

    You only need to increase your salary by around 3 and half thousand to comply with the regulations
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 29th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 7,936 Posts
    • 8,054 Thanks
    • #4
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • #4
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    Posting in the Benefits Forum might be the best way to get properly started.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,661Posts Today

6,037Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

  • RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

  • RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

  • Follow Martin