Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lindos90
    • By lindos90 29th Nov 17, 1:36 AM
    • 2,857Posts
    • 20,066Thanks
    lindos90
    Confused about nursing care funding
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:36 AM
    Confused about nursing care funding 29th Nov 17 at 1:36 AM
    Hope someone can advise please. My relative has been in a dual registered care home for several years. Initially as a residential placement. Paid for by a combination of pension, LA funding and a 'top up' from me.

After a while the staff said they thought she needed nursing care, so asked for an assessment by the nhs. This was agreed, so although she stayed in the same room, and the nhs would pay some on top of the other payments to cover the additional cost of the nursing placement rather than residential.

The staff have now told me that my relative has been assessed for 'fast tracking' funding. They say she can stay in the same bed, but more of the funding will come from the nhs.

I know she is quite poorly, but don't really know why they have asked for fast tracking. I thought that was for people who needed funding quickly to move into a nursing home bed, in this case she is already there, and being funded by pension, me, the LA and nhs.

Has anyone else had a relative that was already in a nursing home bed that has been assessed for fast tracking?
    Last edited by lindos90; 29-11-2017 at 1:49 AM.
Page 1
    • rheme
    • By rheme 2nd Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 3,517 Thanks
    rheme
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:13 PM
    NHS funding is known as CHC Funding or Continuing Health Care Funding. The NHS can either provide part or full funding. It is not means tested and, if awarded full funding, will mean that your relative will keep their own pension, you should not need to top up and the local authority will not contribute it will all be paid for by the NHS.

It is quite difficult to get and an assessment should be carried out by a multi-disciplined team (including a member of your relative's family - someone who knows and understands her needs best).

Suggest you google CHC Funding and download the assessment forms and do your own dummy assessment prior to the actual assessment. Think internally and externally and remember that a medicated condition is still a need.

My mum was in a nursing home for 3 years and received full CHC Funding.

The team's assessment will consider your relative's needs under the following headings:
    • behaviour
    • cognition (understanding)
    • communication
    • psychological/emotional needs
    • mobility
    • nutrition (food and drink)
    • continence
    • skin (including wounds and ulcers)
    • breathing
    • symptom control through drug therapies and medication
    • altered states of consciousness e.g. strokes
    • other significant needs
    • elsien
    • By elsien 2nd Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    • 15,444 Posts
    • 38,796 Thanks
    elsien
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2nd Dec 17, 4:20 PM
    I'm very sorry to say, but I think fast tracking may apply either because the person is deteriorating quite quickly, or where they have a terminal diagnosis. It's so their needs can be assessed and a support package/palliative pathway put in place more quickly because they are potentially more unwell.
    Last edited by elsien; 02-12-2017 at 4:24 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • alwaysonthego
    • By alwaysonthego 3rd Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 7,916 Posts
    • 10,749 Thanks
    alwaysonthego
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 3rd Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    Fast track funding assessment is different from continuing health funding as it is a medical practitioner that will complete the assessment and there is no need for a MDT. Also fast track funding is end of life funding where life expectancy is less than 6 weeks. Usually all the fees apart from the top up is funded by the NHS. This does not change the level of care that's someone receives this is about who funds the care.
    • Larac
    • By Larac 4th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    • 749 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Larac
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 8:46 PM
    Sadly my experience of fast trak CHC funding is that the patient is terminally ill and close to death. My Mum was put on fast trak, so she could return to the CH and be under the care with them till end of life. 2/3 days later the CSG were faffing around and she then became too ill to move and died in hospital. She was self funding and I could not believe we were put through this, when my Mum was so ill.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

4,528Users online

Martin's Twitter