Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PeppaCoin
    • By PeppaCoin 28th Nov 17, 11:45 PM
    • 108Posts
    • 100Thanks
    PeppaCoin
    Frustrating viewing feedback
    • 28th Nov 17, 11:45 PM
    Frustrating viewing feedback 28th Nov 17 at 11:45 PM
    Our house has been on the market for around 3 weeks. We get the same feedback for every viewing:

1) The third bedroom is too small
    2) The garden is all out the front and none out the back.

Both these things are clearly shown on the floorplan/particulars. Maybe people are just giving those a cursory glance and not really taking the info on-board.

It's frustrating when the feedback highlights things you cannot do anything about.
    Debt at Light Bulb Moment - £18,320
    Current debt - £9,949 (46% paid off)
Page 2
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Nov 17, 10:27 AM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Comms69
    Our house has been on the market for around 3 weeks. We get the same feedback for every viewing:

1) The third bedroom is too small
    2) The garden is all out the front and none out the back.

Both these things are clearly shown on the floorplan/particulars. Maybe people are just giving those a cursory glance and not really taking the info on-board.

It's frustrating when the feedback highlights things you cannot do anything about.
    Originally posted by PeppaCoin
    lower the price?....
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 29th Nov 17, 10:57 AM
    • 6,986 Posts
    • 12,577 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    As someone who has been viewing places this year, there is only so much you can get from a plan and photos, and sometimes you really do have to be standing in the property to get a sense of proportion and decide whether you can live with it. If the worst features are tiny third bedroom and lack of garden compared to other properties in the area (or in other similarly priced areas), then those might come up as a common theme when people tell you that no, they couldn't live with it after all - but that doesn't mean they've put zero effort into reading your advert or floorplan.

I always looked at floorplans and would generally reject a property that didn't show one, but didn't take the dimensions and build a replica within my own lounge and imagine what the height and light from the windows would be etc, before deciding to go and view

And I might know my spare bed is 4.5 ft wide because it says that on the receipt, but I don't know exactly how many ft I want either side of it to be comfortable. I am sure if I stood in the room with some furniture in it I could make a better assessment of whether the space was 'enough'. We already see the dimensions and photos on line but the purpose of a 'viewing' is to view it, even if the reason you ultimately reject it is the reason you already thought you might reject it before you viewed.

Originally posted by PeppaCoin
    lower the price?....
    Originally posted by Comms69
    If the reason the viewers don't like it is that when standing in the bedroom and swinging a cat around they realise there's inadequate space for their needs...

or they realise that at the end of the day they don't want to be doing their sunbathing or hosting a BBQ next to the street and it doesn't feel as private as they'd hoped...

Then paying a lower price doesn't magically make the bedroom big enough to swing a cat nor relocate the garden.

Of course, if you are advertising it at a price point where 'rival' sellers are selling places in an equivalent quality location but with better garden layout and larger third bedrooms, then your price is too high and you should lower to a price point where you are not offering the 'least' for the money (you don't have to offer the most for your money, just be broadly competitive).
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 29-11-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Nov 17, 11:14 AM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Comms69
    As someone who has been viewing places this year, there is only so much you can get from a plan and photos, and sometimes you really do have to be standing in the property to get a sense of proportion and decide whether you can live with it. If the worst features are tiny third bedroom and lack of garden compared to other properties in the area (or in other similarly priced areas), then those might come up as a common theme when people tell you that no, they couldn't live with it after all - but that doesn't mean they've put zero effort into reading your advert or floorplan.

I always looked at floorplans and would generally reject a property that didn't show one, but didn't take the dimensions and build a replica within my own lounge and imagine what the height and light from the windows would be etc, before deciding to go and view

And I might know my spare bed is 4.5 ft wide because it says that on the receipt, but I don't know exactly how many ft I want either side of it to be comfortable. I am sure if I stood in the room with some furniture in it I could make a better assessment of whether the space was 'enough'. We already see the dimensions and photos on line but the purpose of a 'viewing' is to view it, even if the reason you ultimately reject it is the reason you already thought you might reject it before you viewed.

If the reason the viewers don't like it is that when standing in the bedroom and swinging a cat around they realise there's inadequate space for their needs...

or they realise that at the end of the day they don't want to be doing their sunbathing or hosting a BBQ next to the street and it doesn't feel as private as they'd hoped...

Then paying a lower price doesn't magically make the bedroom big enough to swing a cat nor relocate the garden.

Of course, if you are advertising it at a price point where 'rival' sellers are selling places in an equivalent quality location but with better garden layout and larger third bedrooms, then your price is too high and you should lower to a price point where you are not offering the 'least' for the money (you don't have to offer the most for your money, just be broadly competitive).
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    lower price, lower expectations - but hey what do I know
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 29th Nov 17, 11:24 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I wouldn't necessarily view a large front garden as a negative, providing it wasn't shady, North facing or boggy.

Have you made it look useable ie does it have decent fencing/hedging and a secure gate? Or is it just a big ugly driveway?
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    There are plenty of multi car households for whom a 'big ugly driveway' would be more desirable in a property than a pretty front garden.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 29th Nov 17, 11:30 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    ReadingTim

Sometimes what a buyer needs and what a buyer can afford don't always match - so for someone who decided they 'needed' a 3 bedroom house, this might be the only way to get it.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 29th Nov 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Surrey_EA

the intention of lowering the price is not to persuade the people who have already viewed to buy, but to attract buyers with smaller budgets, and therefore presumably lower expectations to come and take a look.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 29th Nov 17, 11:58 AM
    • 6,986 Posts
    • 12,577 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    the intention of lowering the price is not to persuade the people who have already viewed to buy, but to attract buyers with smaller budgets, and therefore presumably lower expectations to come and take a look.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    Yes, that was the point of my last paragraph which you didn't quote
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter