Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PL800
    • By PL800 28th Nov 17, 10:45 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 1Thanks
    PL800
    Car Service advice
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:45 PM
    Car Service advice 28th Nov 17 at 10:45 PM
    My 2011 Fiesta is due a major service now, but I've been holding off because of the expense. Since I've had it I've taken it to the local dealer where I bought it from, but they don't seem as reliable nowadays, and have put their prices up! They're quoting me £239!

However, my stepfather has offered to service it for me (he tutors mechanics and services his own car and I do trust him). But, he won't be able to stamp my log book! I believe this can make a difference when I eventually come to sell it?

Any advice appreciated.
Page 1
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 28th Nov 17, 10:49 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:49 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:49 PM
    Keep receipts for all the parts as proof of what's been done.

If your keeping the car for a while the difference in resale will be minimal.

If your car was only a couple of years old then it would be different.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 29th Nov 17, 3:08 AM
    • 26,238 Posts
    • 10,477 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:08 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:08 AM
    Receipts for a load of shiny new parts are worth more to me than stamps in a book.

I need a service well not a service really, just chuck some cheap oil in and stamp my book for me.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • takman
    • By takman 29th Nov 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 2,423 Thanks
    takman
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:57 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:57 AM
    My 2011 Fiesta is due a major service now, but I've been holding off because of the expense. Since I've had it I've taken it to the local dealer where I bought it from, but they don't seem as reliable nowadays, and have put their prices up! They're quoting me £239!

However, my stepfather has offered to service it for me (he tutors mechanics and services his own car and I do trust him). But, he won't be able to stamp my log book! I believe this can make a difference when I eventually come to sell it?

Any advice appreciated.
    Originally posted by PL800
    Well nobody would be stamping your "log book" anyway, it's the service book that is usually stamped .

But like other have said a stamp in a book isn't worth as much as invoices showing all the parts purchased each year to service the car. You can still fill in the service book detailing when it was done to keep a record and back that up with the invoices.

Like other have said, personally i would much rather see a car for sale from someone who has kept every invoice and receipt and an unstamped service book which they or someone they know has serviced. Rather than a car from someone who simply has a stamped service book and no other history.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 29th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    • 13,199 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    Just sign and date the service book and keep receipts so you have proof and history in one place
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 29th Nov 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:51 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 11:51 AM
    My 2011 Fiesta is due a major service now, but I've been holding off because of the expense.
    Originally posted by PL800
    Doing that can end up costing you more down the line. False economy.
    Since I've had it I've taken it to the local dealer where I bought it from, but they don't seem as reliable nowadays, and have put their prices up! They're quoting me £239!
    Ford do a cheaper service for older cars, ask your main dealer. All Ford services done at a main dealer also come with 12 months pan European breakdown cover.
    It can do but less so on an older car, personally I've just filled in the service book myself when I've done them on my cars in the past. However you say he tutors mechanics so does he do that at a college? If so then most colleges motor mechanics courses will actually book in customer cars as paying jobs and he should be able to stamp the service book if its done that way.
    • PL800
    • By PL800 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PL800
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    Just thought I 'd say thanks for the replies - car serviced and amazed at how much garages rip you off! He picked up on a few errors the Ford garage had made in the past too.

Thanks takman - I realised after I'd posted I meant to put service book! Oops..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,677Posts Today

7,134Users online

Martin's Twitter