Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danieljnolan
    • By danieljnolan 28th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    danieljnolan
    Moving Boxes etc. from A-B??
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:30 PM
    Moving Boxes etc. from A-B?? 28th Nov 17 at 10:30 PM
    Hi!

Just moved house (yay), boxes all stuck in a storage unit, don't have a car or van .

We work 9-5 all week (Central London) and the storage closes at 6 (South West London), so we don't really have time to get there and do any moving unless it's at the weekend.

Does anybody know a good company that could get our boxes to us for cheap?? We've tried Anyvan (three quotes between £50-£100-£300 so feel like I'm doing something wrong) and Taskrabbit (expensive!!)
Page 1
    • Zither
    • By Zither 28th Nov 17, 10:36 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Zither
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:36 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:36 PM
    No idea about central London but what about just posting a general advert for a white van man or on mybuilder/other for a cheap removals company that might have a cancelled appointment?
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 28th Nov 17, 10:39 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:39 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:39 PM
    Leaving aside the question of "why are your boxes in a storage unit when you have no way to move them to your home?", take a day off work and hire a van, e.g. something Transit sized. Collect at 8am, drop off at 5pm, spend the day lugging boxes. London has superb public transport to get you to and from a hire place to collect and drop off.

Or, if you have a friend with a van, ask them to help in return for a meal or something. My standard fee for moving big stuff locally for a friends in my van is a cup of tea. They have to do the lugging of stuff.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • danieljnolan
    • By danieljnolan 28th Nov 17, 10:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    danieljnolan
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:46 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:46 PM
    Leaving aside the question of "why are your boxes in a storage unit when you have no way to move them to your home?", take a day off work and hire a van, e.g. something Transit sized. Collect at 8am, drop off at 5pm, spend the day lugging boxes. London has superb public transport to get you to and from a hire place to collect and drop off.

Or, if you have a friend with a van, ask them to help in return for a meal or something. My standard fee for moving big stuff locally for a friends in my van is a cup of tea. They have to do the lugging of stuff.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    - Moved forcibly from my parents' as they sold it (had only been there a month post-graduation, steady on) but hadn't completed on our new place at the time. They drove it there.
    - No sense us hiring a van if we can't drive it: I don't have a license and girlfriend is Canadian, has a license, is under 25 = can't rent. Hence wanting somebody else to do it for us!
    - Only know people who can barely make it to the pub for a drink after a long day at work or on their precious weekends, let alone drive a van around South London for us.

Suppose a man with van is the traditional route but thought it was worth asking in case there's something I'm missing here.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 29th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    - Moved forcibly from my parents' as they sold it (had only been there a month post-graduation, steady on) but hadn't completed on our new place at the time. They drove it there.
    - No sense us hiring a van if we can't drive it: I don't have a license and girlfriend is Canadian, has a license, is under 25 = can't rent. Hence wanting somebody else to do it for us!
    - Only know people who can barely make it to the pub for a drink after a long day at work or on their precious weekends, let alone drive a van around South London for us.

Suppose a man with van is the traditional route but thought it was worth asking in case there's something I'm missing here.
    Originally posted by danieljnolan
    Try Gumtree or have a look on ebay.
    there are people advertise man and van.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 29th Nov 17, 12:29 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,753 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:29 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:29 PM
    Try asking the self storage place if they can recommend somebody?
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 29th Nov 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3,437 Posts
    • 5,865 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:05 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:05 PM
    Try asking the self storage place if they can recommend somebody?
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Our most local self storage is also the most local van hire place and they do also have rental including a driver so it would be a good place to ask. Although I know just van hire is £50+ a day so with a driver it will take it up to the quotes OP already has.

To be honest you are highly unlikely to find anyone to do it for less than £50 so if you have a quote for that it seems very reasonable, Iím in one of the poorest areas of the country and £50 would be a good deal here so London it is likely unbeatable.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 29th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 6,003 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:04 PM
    Originally posted by danieljnolan
    Have you looked into car clubs? Some are more flexible regarding age (you'll need to do some research) and generally an international licence will be accepted, possibly subject to additional validity checks. But once she's a member then you can hire as and when needed.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

7,373Users online

Martin's Twitter