Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alison_1989
    • By alison_1989 28th Nov 17, 10:11 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alison_1989
    Can a relationship work without chemistry?
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:11 PM
    Can a relationship work without chemistry? 28th Nov 17 at 10:11 PM
    I have been with my girlfriend for 6 months, and I would say a few months back things felt differently, it felt like the chemistry has disappeared. I have the best girlfriend ever, sheís so kind, and caring, everything I wanted in a person, but I donít think thereís any spark I donít think I even want to sleep with her anymore. This is very upsetting because I really want us to work, and I donít think Iíll find someone as caring as her.

Page 2
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 11:48 AM
    • 13,255 Posts
    • 17,469 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Isn't this "spark" just another word for good, old-fashioned, lust?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 29th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    • 15,461 Posts
    • 63,833 Thanks
    Judi
    Isn't this "spark" just another word for good, old-fashioned, lust?
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Physical attraction/lust yes but it has to be more than that..a mental and physical attraction. Well i think that anyway.

Ive only felt that once.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 12:41 PM
    • 13,255 Posts
    • 17,469 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Physical attraction/lust yes but it has to be more than that..a mental and physical attraction. Well i think that anyway.

Ive only felt that once.
    Originally posted by Judi
    From what (s)he has said, I think the OP has just fallen out of lust.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 29-11-2017 at 2:58 PM. Reason: Assumption of gender corrected
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 29th Nov 17, 1:08 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 7,977 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    A romantic relationship can work without desire, asexual people have relationships with people that aren't asexual, but it needs both people to understand it.

It sounds like that isn't you though. The question is whether or not it will work for you - do you believe you can spend your life with someone you love, but don't want to make love to? Will that fulfill you? And what does your girlfriend think about this?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • svain
    • By svain 29th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    svain
    Im guessing the spark/chemistry OP is referring to is the physical side. Humour and personality chemistry are both equally as important. Sex is probably the easier one to work on if the other two are there
    Last edited by svain; 29-11-2017 at 1:44 PM.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 29th Nov 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    As above (onomatopoeia99), it doesn't really matter what we say or think, we're not in your relationship. Talk to your partner, it won't be a fun conversation but if you are to stay together you should be open about how you feel rather than subject her to a relationship built on a lie. I'd try and find a positive angle - companionship, love etc but at least give her the choice to be in the relationship on the right terms - or the freedom to be with someone who does feel 'the spark'. Good luck!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 29th Nov 17, 2:54 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    sheramber
    It sounds like the gilt has worn off the gingerbread.

I f you are looking for more from the relationship then it won't work as you will always be looking for something else.

If you are both happy with what you have then it will work.

A friend of mine eventually left an abusive marriage as he could not take the violent outbursts any longer.

He found someone else.

He admitted that the had never felt the way he did about this new person with his ex wife and now reaised he had never loved her.

He had been married for over 20 years without realising that.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 29th Nov 17, 3:09 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    suejb2
    Chemistry
    Let her know, she may not want to live as room mates.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 29th Nov 17, 3:56 PM
    • 9,837 Posts
    • 12,483 Thanks
    hazyjo
    What about his?

Why would they run off with the postman?
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Feel a bit guilty discussing my mate's sex life(!) but tbh he doesn't have much of a sex-drive and can't ejaculate (kids were donor babies). It all just seemed to fizzle out over the years.

Not literally the postman - was a pee-take - but I've known her well for 36-ish years. She had some wild years in her teens and 20s and I know she's not in a happy and loving relationship. She has said she'd not cope without him. She's acting older than her years in many ways. I think she'll flip and do something completely crazy sooner or later (as she was prone to in the past).
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 29th Nov 17, 4:05 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    Robisere
    No. But think about it this way:

Did you make love when you slept together, or did you just have sex?

If the answer is that it was just sex, no matter how satisfying that was, then it's time to be honest. Don't be squeamish, but do be sensitive.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 29th Nov 17, 4:08 PM
    • 13,255 Posts
    • 17,469 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Feel a bit guilty discussing my mate's sex life(!) but tbh he doesn't have much of a sex-drive and can't ejaculate (kids were donor babies). It all just seemed to fizzle out over the years.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    Sorry I asked!

Not literally the postman - was a pee-take - but I've known her well for 36-ish years. She had some wild years in her teens and 20s and I know she's not in a happy and loving relationship. She has said she'd not cope without him. She's acting older than her years in many ways. I think she'll flip and do something completely crazy sooner or later (as she was prone to in the past).
    Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you meant that the children would run off with the postman when they grew up.
    • pphillips
    • By pphillips 30th Nov 17, 1:50 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    pphillips
    I have been with my girlfriend for 6 months, and I would say a few months back things felt differently, it felt like the chemistry has disappeared. I have the best girlfriend ever, sheís so kind, and caring, everything I wanted in a person, but I donít think thereís any spark I donít think I even want to sleep with her anymore. This is very upsetting because I really want us to work, and I donít think Iíll find someone as caring as her.

Originally posted by alison_1989
    If she is physically attractive then I think you might be suffering with depression and you should speak to your GP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

599Posts Today

4,298Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @faisalislam: Normalisation of words ?traitor/treachery? to mean ?people who disagree with my belief?... Not entirely sure how political?

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin