Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kfisher123
    • By kfisher123 28th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kfisher123
    Evidence of structural movement
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    Evidence of structural movement 28th Nov 17 at 9:00 PM
    Hi all,

This is my first post on this site and it seems like the best place for advice so a big Hello to all and bear with me for any errors/typos.

We are in the process of buying a property and an offer has been accepted. We just had a basic lender valuation done on the property. On the survey report it says Yes against "is there evidence of structural movement, landslip or heave in the property". Also there is a Yes against "does it appear to be long standing and unlikely to be progressive".

We are very concerned with the above and don't know whether it's really something we need to worry about? We are in the initial stages of the purchase and no contracts have been exchanged yet. However we have already spent quite a bit of money towards the IFA, solicitor fees etc.

We haven't heard from the lender yet whether a mortgage offer is forthcoming but I suppose we will know pretty soon.

Given the situation what would be the best way forward? Is a detailed homebuyers or buildings survey advisable (or) is it simply not worth spending any additional money and pull out at this stage itself?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks a lot.
Page 1
    • Flutterbat17
    • By Flutterbat17 28th Nov 17, 9:20 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Flutterbat17
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:20 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:20 PM
    Its it an old period house? I might be inclined to speak to the lender/mortgage broker and see if they require any further investigation. They might require a full survey? I would still want to know more regardless and have a RICS building survey done even if they offered a mortgage.

We are buying a old property that has had some historical cracking, which turned out to be when they removed a old chimney. It isn't always a bad sign.

I would see what the lender says first then get an structural survey done.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 28th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 6,282 Posts
    • 6,064 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:23 PM
    I can't remember the last survey I looked at for an older property which didn't say it had historic movement. I suspect many surveyors just copy and paste it in to be on the safe side.

If they see something suggesting ongoing movement which actually merits further investigation they will say so.
    • SG27
    • By SG27 29th Nov 17, 6:56 AM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    SG27
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:56 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:56 AM
    How old is the house? Any house over about 100 years will have movement of some sort. I wouldnt be worried unless there are significant external cracks with corresponding internal ones.the morrgage company will tell you if they require more detailed survey.
    Mortgage Debt: £93,537.48/£105,025 Feb 13
    Overpayments so far: £3,939.72
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,028Posts Today

4,382Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin