Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dottys28
    • By Dottys28 28th Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dottys28
    VCS ticket and no written follow up for 21 months!
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:51 PM
    VCS ticket and no written follow up for 21 months! 28th Nov 17 at 8:51 PM
    Hi there

Sorry if I’m asking an obvious question or have missed something. I received a ‘letter of claim’ in the post today from a legal recovery company BW Legal re a parking charge notice I had on my windscreen in Feb 2016! I have never had any follow up in writing until today, 21 months later.

Do I have the basis of any argument to challenge this? They have requested £154.

It is on behalf of VCS limited.

Any help would be much appreaciated!
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 28th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 16,937 Posts
    • 21,066 Thanks
    Redx
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:54 PM
    you can send a rebuttal letter , see post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread near the top of this forum

VCS have 6 years to try a court claim, they use BW LEGAL as solicitors for this sometimes (other times they do it themselves in-house)

a court claim is an MCOL

treat this letter you have as an LBC
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 28th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 15,951 Posts
    • 24,744 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:09 PM
    Ask them to confirm if what the have sent is a simple debt collector letter, or is it a fully compliant Letter of Claim. If the latter, demand they provide all the information required of them as per new Pre-action Protocol (PaP). If they are a professional legal firm they should know this - the PaP very clear.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/pdf/protocols/pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims.pdf

If they are adamant it is a formal Letter of Claim, any failure by them now to provide the required information will result in a complaint to the Solicitors’ Regulation Authority.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 28th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,141 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    Dottys28, is the address of the registered keeper on your vehicle's registration document correct?

Or have you changed address in the last twenty-one months?
    • Dottys28
    • By Dottys28 29th Nov 17, 6:42 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dottys28
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:42 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 6:42 AM
    Hi Keith

No it is not, I have been meaning to update the address on my RC document but it is an old address. Car is insured to my current address however
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 29th Nov 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 3,634 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:54 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:54 AM
    Well there you go ... postal invoices go to the keeper's address. So everything sent by VCS or debt collectors will have gone there. (Think yourself lucky that they appear to have used a tracing service to find the registered keeper - they could have simply sent court papers to the old address and won a default claim. Or did someone from the old address forward this BWL letter to you?)

Is the old address still a serviceable address for the keeper? If not then it's no wonder you've fallen into this mess.

Has the driver changed the address for their driving licence from the old to the current address? (It's a possible £1,000 fine for not doing so).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,720Posts Today

5,970Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin