Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Andtheivy
    • By Andtheivy 28th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Andtheivy
    Permitted occupant and bad credit - Help
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    Permitted occupant and bad credit - Help 28th Nov 17 at 8:17 PM
    Hi all,
    I need a little advice on where I stand and there seems to be similar situations but not enough info to help me know what to do and I'm getting such mixed info from estate agents it's confusing and frustrating.

I'm looking to move out soon, I've worked out my maximum budget is £680 per month based on my salary and so I'm only looking at properties up to that amount. I want my partner to move with me but he has very bad credit and a bit of debt, he will fail the credit checks and we do not have a guarantor. We have heard of something called a permitted occupier but only one agency I have contacted so far has mentioned this and all the rest have insisted that he must be named on the tenancy.

Now my questions are this: Can I refuse to put him on the tenancy and a joint applicant and insist on the permitted occupier?
    and
    Would it be best if I just looked for a tenancy alone and then looked into him moving in later on?

I am happy to be fully responsible for the rent and outgoings, I am in permanent full time employment and we're not looking at properties that make me unable to pay the rent. I just need to know a little more about this if anyone is able to help, I don't want an estate agent taking advantage just because I'm a first time renter.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 28th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 11,196 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:21 PM
    All letting agencies can check are your public credit files. All public credit files show are CCJ and insolvency.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Andtheivy
    • By Andtheivy 28th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andtheivy
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    All letting agencies can check are your public credit files. All public credit files show are CCJ and insolvency.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    I know that, it's more or less the same as what we can see on our credit files, this is how I know he will fail the credit check for being a joint tenant and will lead onto him needing a guarantor which we do not have. (he has bad debt, no CCJ or bankruptcy but the debt alone will fail him)

So why bother with all that if it's less trouble just including him a permitted occupier? This is what I need to know, if I'm within my rights to say no to a joint tenancy and request the permitted occupant instead.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 28th Nov 17, 8:42 PM
    • 11,196 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:42 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:42 PM

If all letting agents can see are the public credit files and all public credit files show are CCJ and insolvency, and your partner isn’t insolvent and doesn’t have any CCJ how have you come to the conclusion that he will fail a credit check?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Andtheivy
    • By Andtheivy 28th Nov 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andtheivy
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:07 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:07 PM
    Because every estate agent has said he will once he explained his situation, and that he will need a guarantor. (I'm not about to disclose what debts he has and the situations surrounding them)
    Does this mean they are not telling the truth and he will in fact pass the credit check just because he has no CCJ's and insolvency.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 28th Nov 17, 9:11 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:11 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:11 PM
    Does this mean they are not telling the truth and he will in fact pass the credit check just because he has no CCJ's and insolvency.
    Originally posted by Andtheivy
    Yes. He shouldn't be telling the LA anything about his bad credit.

Because agents don't provide any financial credit services then they don't get to see your full credit report.
    Last edited by Slithery; 28-11-2017 at 9:13 PM.
    • Andtheivy
    • By Andtheivy 28th Nov 17, 9:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andtheivy
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:16 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:16 PM
    Yes. He shouldn't be telling the LA anything about his bad credit.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    No wonder we've been finding it so difficult. We/he has been trying to be as transparent as possible to ensure we don't make mistakes, don't get our hopes up and spend out money on fees and checks which we've been told will fail and get bitten if we don't disclose anything- bah
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 28th Nov 17, 9:18 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:18 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:18 PM
    On a related note some agencies will try to see your full credit report by asking you to print it off and show it to them.

I refuse to deal with such agencies.
    • elliemet23
    • By elliemet23 29th Nov 17, 10:30 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    elliemet23
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:30 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:30 AM
    When myself and my partner rented together I had about £4k debt, but no CCJs or Bankruptcy.
    The debt wasn't even an issue and we didn't need a guarantor.

Good luck
    xxxx
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Nov 17, 10:43 AM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Comms69
    Because every estate agent has said he will once he explained his situation, and that he will need a guarantor. (I'm not about to disclose what debts he has and the situations surrounding them)
    Originally posted by Andtheivy
    SO DONT TELL THEM....

Infact don't move out, you aren't ready.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter