Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eden.eden
    • By eden.eden 28th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    eden.eden
    Hit my moving car and drove off
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    Hit my moving car and drove off 28th Nov 17 at 7:44 PM
    This evening in the dark on a busy roundabout coming off motorway someone obviously thought I wasn't moving fast enough and hit the back of my car, I pulled over to a safe place expecting them to follow but they quickly changed lanes, did a left and sped off.

My car looks ok but now I've opened the boot it won't shut so I can't lock it and will take to a garage tomorrow to assess. No one else stopped and I barely saw the vehicle never mind get a reg.

Will insurance company expect me to have informed the police?
    Last edited by eden.eden; 28-11-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 2
    • takman
    • By takman 30th Nov 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 2,406 Thanks
    takman
    To be fair, I do remember them talking about that on 5Live. A bloke who's garage was routinely broken into. He phoned the police every time, often while the burglar was still there and they said "sorry sir, no-one available", "too busy", these donuts won't eat themselves", you know, the usual score.

Anyway, after the 4th or 5th time of them breaking into his garage and stealing his honestly earned possessions, he decided he had enough. When they next broke into his garage, he phoned them, like usual and was told the same old line. He hung up, phoned back about a minute later and said "no need to send a car around, I've just gone out with a shotgun and blown him to pieces, send an ambulance". About 6 armed police vehicles arrived within about 10 minutes, 2 ambulances and 2 police helicopters turned up.

Caught two blokes red handed in the garage. Copper said to the guy "I thought you had shot him" and he replied "I thought you said you were busy".

Brilliant that is. Top coppering.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Are you sure that's a true story, I've seen that told as a "joke" many times. Especially considering their were two ambulances and two helicopters.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 1st Dec 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Stoke
    Are you sure that's a true story, I've seen that told as a "joke" many times. Especially considering their were two ambulances and two helicopters.
    Originally posted by takman
    Just the story that was said on 5Live, perhaps not, but it's probably grounded in some reality. I know some of you lot swear blind to the police, but then you probably aren't the ones who feel shafted when they can't be arsed to investigate local burglars.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 1st Dec 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    To be fair, I do remember them talking about that on 5Live. A bloke who's garage was routinely broken into. He phoned the police every time, often while the burglar was still there and they said "sorry sir, no-one available", "too busy", these donuts won't eat themselves", you know, the usual score.

Anyway, after the 4th or 5th time of them breaking into his garage and stealing his honestly earned possessions, he decided he had enough. When they next broke into his garage, he phoned them, like usual and was told the same old line. He hung up, phoned back about a minute later and said "no need to send a car around, I've just gone out with a shotgun and blown him to pieces, send an ambulance". About 6 armed police vehicles arrived within about 10 minutes, 2 ambulances and 2 police helicopters turned up.

Caught two blokes red handed in the garage. Copper said to the guy "I thought you had shot him" and he replied "I thought you said you were busy".

Brilliant that is. Top coppering.
    You do realise that the more your anti police prejudice shows, the less credibility you have. The use of the "the doughnuts won't eat themselves" helps your credibility none. Next you'll be saying snort snort. Tone it down and people might start to take you more seriously.

I could just dismiss what you say as prejudiced nonsense, because with that doughnut reference, that's what it appears to be.

That story sounds highly suspect - rather like someone would tell down the pub to impress his mates.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 1st Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Just the story that was said on 5Live, perhaps not, but it's probably grounded in some reality. I know some of you lot swear blind to the police, but then you probably aren't the ones who feel shafted when they can't be arsed to investigate local burglars.
    Yet you used it as primae facie evidence? You have no credibility remaining at all.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 4th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Stoke
    Yet you used it as primae facie evidence? You have no credibility remaining at all.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Yawn. Don't come moaning on here when your E class has a big scratch down it, you've got CCTV, and yet your best buddies actually don't care whatsoever.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Yawn. Don't come moaning on here when your E class has a big scratch down it, you've got CCTV, and yet your best buddies actually don't care whatsoever.
    I doubt he'd be concerned about damage to the E Class.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 4th Dec 17, 4:03 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    wgl2014
    Did the Police really fail to respond to a burglary where the offender had been detained?
    The way the scenario was described sounds odd to me. Especially the bit about asking them for ID and letting them go. That sounds like the advice given to a security guard with a shoplifter.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 4th Dec 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,459 Posts
    • 997 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Do keep up. I haven't had an E class for 5 months now. Plus my car and my wife's are kept in a gated locked driveway. The gate is 9 feet high, so they would have to be quite nimble.

Oh and the police aren't my best buddies more than they are anyone else's, if that's what you are suggesting. Try growing up. Throwing childish tantrums doesn't add to your lack of credibility.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,283Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter