Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melb
    • By melb 28th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2,523Posts
    • 950Thanks
    melb
    Help please in setting up new Smart TV
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:43 PM
    Help please in setting up new Smart TV 28th Nov 17 at 7:43 PM
    hi there have just received my new Toshiba 43U6663DB Smart Tv for daughter and have spent hours trying to connect it to our virgin media wifi.

The TV finds the ip address ok but we cannot find out how to actually access any Freeview channels or YouTube etc.

One thing that i think may be the problem is the choice of Digital ariel, Satellite, Analogue etc etc options when as far as I can understand we are accessing all via internet/wifi.

I have tried to follow the instruction manual which seems to miss out large chunks.

I will ring Tech help at ao.com tomorrow hopefully but in the meantime is there any advice that anyone can give me in terms of something glaringly obvious that I am not doing during the set-up?

I am attempting to do this wirelessly rather than using an ethernet cable but our internet strength is strong at 17 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Would be very grateful for any pointers.
Page 1
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 28th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:49 PM
    hi there have just received my new Toshiba 43U6663DB Smart Tv for daughter and have spent hours trying to connect it to our virgin media wifi.

The TV finds the ip address ok but we cannot find out how to actually access any Freeview channels or YouTube etc.

One thing that i think may be the problem is the choice of Digital ariel, Satellite, Analogue etc etc options when as far as I can understand we are accessing all via internet/wifi.

I have tried to follow the instruction manual which seems to miss out large chunks.

I will ring Tech help at ao.com tomorrow hopefully but in the meantime is there any advice that anyone can give me in terms of something glaringly obvious that I am not doing during the set-up?

I am attempting to do this wirelessly rather than using an ethernet cable but our internet strength is strong at 17 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Originally posted by melb
    You are not plug a TV aerial or satellite dish in and following the instructions to tune the TV in for Digital TV Freeview or Satellite.
    • melb
    • By melb 28th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    so should we put a cable in from our Virgin box? It will be used in a bedroom and won't be able to access our viginmedia programmes - she will be using Youtube and apps like ITV Hub once we get set up
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 28th Nov 17, 7:52 PM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 6,262 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Freeview is delivered via Aerial , Freesat via Satellite dish. Using the wifi/ethernet cable you get on-demand and whatever apps the TV comes with bundled with e.g. Netflix Amazon iPlayer etc. AFAIK the bundled apps like BBC iplayer , ITV Hub etc don't give you the option of live TV since they are runnig on a TV ergo there is no need for live. I can't say for sure though.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 28th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 17,483 Posts
    • 11,717 Thanks
    molerat
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:54 PM
    Have you actually managed to successfully connect to the wifi ?
    You should then get catchup through the Freview Play app. All you need to do is press the appropriate button on the remote to connect to Freeview Play, Netflix or YouTube. To get live TV you need to connect to an aerial or satellite dish
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freeview/freeview-play#

edit: Just read the instructions for Freeview Play and it states that BBC and ITV need to be installed before you can connect to the Freeview Play platform. As most of the catch up apps are no longer stand alone and are now integrated into Freeview Play it looks like you will need the aerial,sat or maybe cable connection to watch any TV.
    Last edited by molerat; 28-11-2017 at 8:21 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 28th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    so should we put a cable in from our Virgin box? It will be used in a bedroom and won't be able to access our viginmedia programmes - she will be using Youtube and apps like ITV Hub once we get set up
    No it needs TV aerial or satellite dish input.

On another forum a user purchased a Hitachi TV probably made by the same manufacturer as your Toshiba (Vestel) and that required a TV signal before it would allow access to internet delivered services. He was also on VM cable.
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 28-11-2017 at 7:58 PM.
    • melb
    • By melb 28th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:31 PM
    oh thanks for all replies. We do have a TV aerial but don't have connection points upstairs. I thought i would be able to use internet access for what she wanted to watch.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 28th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,948 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    Try connecting to the TV aerial and tuning it in, the try the apps and then remove the aerial and try the apps again. Then you will see whether or not they will still work.
    • melb
    • By melb 7th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    Hi sorry it's me again. We actually have a sky set set box connected to the old Sky didh before we moved to VM many years ago - a man came round and wired it up ad this is how she used to watch freeview channels on her old smaller TV.

I tried unscrewing the aerial input from her old TV with a view to inserting into new TV but couldn't see anywhere suitable to put it, is it where this says to put it on manual I found online ie the ANT--TV socket?

Connect the aerial or cable TV plug to the AERIAL
    INPUT (ANT-TV) socket or satellite plug to the
    SATELLITE INPUT (ANT SAT) socket located on the
    rear bottom side of the TV.
    If you want to connect a device to the TV, make sure
    that both the TV and the device are turned off before
    making any connection. After the connection is done,
    you can turn on the units and use them.

thanks
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 7th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    plug in a TV aerial lead, not a sat dish screw in lead
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 7th Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    flashg67
    If you have a satellite connection available from your Sky box, it should screw onto the ANT SAT1 connection

• thorganby
    • By thorganby 8th Dec 17, 11:23 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    thorganby

You do not have a terrestrial aerial in the bedroom and there are no analogue TV transmissions now to concern yourself with. Your new TV does have a satellite tuner that could be connected to the dish that previously fed your old Sky box which in turn fed the old TV.

You will not receive normal TV/radio via the internet/WiFi.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 8th Dec 17, 11:24 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    thorganby
    oh thanks for all replies. We do have a TV aerial but don't have connection points upstairs. I thought i would be able to use internet access for what she wanted to watch.

The smart features on the new TV i.e. Youtube, Netflix, ITV Hub, iPlayer etc will be provided via the internet access but not normal TV/radio channels.
    • thorganby
    • By thorganby 8th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    thorganby
    Hi sorry it's me again. We actually have a sky set set box connected to the old Sky didh before we moved to VM many years ago - a man came round and wired it up ad this is how she used to watch freeview channels on her old smaller TV.

I tried unscrewing the aerial input from her old TV with a view to inserting into new TV but couldn't see anywhere suitable to put it, is it where this says to put it on manual I found online ie the ANT--TV socket?

Connect the aerial or cable TV plug to the AERIAL
    INPUT (ANT-TV) socket or satellite plug to the
    SATELLITE INPUT (ANT SAT) socket located on the
    rear bottom side of the TV.
    If you want to connect a device to the TV, make sure
    that both the TV and the device are turned off before
    making any connection. After the connection is done,
    you can turn on the units and use them.

thanks
    You need to think of the new Smart TV as a display screen like a computer monitor, which will only display the signals that you provide. It has Freeview/Freeview Play built in however this will only work if the TV is connected to a TV aerial. Freeview needs a TV aerial and Freeview Play needs the internet to provide catch-up TV services but it will only work with a TV aerial connected.

You could continue to use the Sky box and simply connect that to the new TV to provide the normal TV/radio channels but any smart features like Youtube, Netflix, ITV Hub, iPlayer etc. will be provided via your WiFi internet when you establish a connection to your Virgin Hub.

To summarise:

You will not receive normal Freeview TV/radio channels without connecting a TV aerial to the TV.

You could continue to make use of your Sky dish either connected to the new TV or your Sky dish connected to your old Sky box feeding your new TV as with the previous TV.

All smart features like TV catch-up, Youtube, Netflix, ITV Hub, iPlayer etc. are provided via your internet connection however Freeview Play catch-up will only work if the set is connected to a TV aerial.

The new smart TV will provide the additional features mentioned above but without a TV aerial connected, it will not be a fully integrated Freeview Play system using the supplied remote control.
    • melb
    • By melb 8th Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    You're all brill - thanks so much for all the replies. I will connect it to the sky box and hope for the best. Her friend has given/lent her a Netflix account and I must say the picture quality seems really good and good audio as well. Pleased with my purchase
    • melb
    • By melb 9th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    I've connected the aeriel which was originally connected to the sky box and connected it direct to the TV through the Ant Sat one connection. I'm changing the source on the remote but getting no signal on any of the choices (non of which have anything resembling ant or sat in them).nothing else is connected to the TV at the moment. Any ideas please?
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 9th Dec 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    littlerock
    I am interested because I have just ordered a new smart TV to replace existing elderly one. I was hoping to cable it to roof aerial for Freeview and also connect to our Virgin Settopbox to access our Virgin tv package which comes in over cable. iS that possible? If Freeview seems ok we will cancel virgin tv. Our virgin bb router is in room above TV room.

I have started new thread about this.
    Last edited by littlerock; 09-12-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    • melb
    • By melb 9th Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    If I reconnect the aeriel to the sky box how can I then connect the sky box to the new TV as I am getting nowhere with the aeriel attached to the TV directly as above. I am scanning g for TV channels and nothing is coming up
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Dec 17, 11:10 AM
    • 17,483 Posts
    • 11,717 Thanks
    molerat
    The Sky box connects to the TV with an HDMI cable.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • melb
    • By melb 9th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    melb
    Thanks yes I've just done that with HDMI cable (also tried that originally) but when I'm going to settings to scan for channels none of the options are working. When I choose Auto channel scan and then Digital aeriel it looks like it is picking up channels which all start with UHF but after a couple of minutes it says no channels found please check your Antenna connection.
    None of the other options work at all .
    I have the sky HD box connected to the aerial (wired from the old sky dish) and the new TV connected to the sky box via HDMI.
    It is so frustrating!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin