Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • garichd
    • By garichd 28th Nov 17, 7:00 PM
    • 127Posts
    • 23Thanks
    garichd
    0 WOW
    Airline Refused to refund excess Tax
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:00 PM
    0 WOW
    Airline Refused to refund excess Tax 28th Nov 17 at 7:00 PM
    I travelled to Delhi via KLM in the month of August/Sep 2017. Tickets were booked in June 2017 via Travel Trolley.

On July 7 2017 Indian Govt reduced the UDF (tax) for passengers flying in and out of Delhi airport. They also issue notice on July 18 instructing airlines to refund the excess tax. Notice state that:

1. if passenger is already travelled (i.e. between 7th July and 18th July) then passenger has 60 days to claim refund.

2. if Passenger is yet to travel then airline should process the refund without waiting for such claim.

As I never received refund automatically, I contacted travel trolley on 26th oct for my refund and they passed it to Airline. However, they are now saying that KLM has rejected the claim on the basis that 60 days has passed.

Below is the link to notice issued by Indian Govt.

http://dgca.gov.in/aic/aic15_2017.pdf

Can someone please advise on how to deal with this. Can I go to small claims court?

Page 1
    • Westin
    • By Westin 28th Nov 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Westin
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:16 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:16 PM
    How much money are we talking?

Do you really fancy taking KLM through the small claims court?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 28th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 18,761 Posts
    • 14,469 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:17 PM
    I think you probably could, although KLM are obviously a Dutch airline, which might mean using the Dutch legal system, they have a legal affairs department in the UK who you may be able to name in your claim.

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/customer_support/customer_support/legal_information/index.htm
    • Westin
    • By Westin 28th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Westin
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:31 PM
    “For international passengers departing from Delhi airport, the refund will be in the range of Rs 520-Rs 1,086 and arriving passengers can claim Rs 462-Rs 933.”

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Economy/excess-airport-charges-to-be-refunded-to-passengers-flying-in-and-out-of-delhi/article19302496.ece

No idea what the UDF was on your routing but assuming it is the maximum of around Rs2,000 you are looking at around £23.
    • garichd
    • By garichd 28th Nov 17, 9:58 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    garichd
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:58 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:58 PM
    “For international passengers departing from Delhi airport, the refund will be in the range of Rs 520-Rs 1,086 and arriving passengers can claim Rs 462-Rs 933.”

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Economy/excess-airport-charges-to-be-refunded-to-passengers-flying-in-and-out-of-delhi/article19302496.ece

No idea what the UDF was on your routing but assuming it is the maximum of around Rs2,000 you are looking at around £23.
    Originally posted by Westin

Thanks westin, It was family of 4 , so we are looking at close to £100.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 29th Nov 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:31 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 8:31 AM
    Try contacting KLM directly. They are quick to respond to Facebook messages.
    • garichd
    • By garichd 30th Nov 17, 1:17 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    garichd
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:17 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 1:17 PM
    Try contacting KLM directly. They are quick to respond to Facebook messages.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    KLM is saying that they will not deal with it and I will need to contact Travel Trolley (Travel Agent).

Travel Trolley is saying that KLM is rejecting the claim.

Any advice ? If I need to go to court who should I name ?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 1st Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1st Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    I would think KLM as they are the ones who (supposedly, who knows if TT is being truthful) are refusing to refund. Obviously too late for you now but this is yet another issue that could have been avoided by booking direct from the airline rather than an OTA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

347Posts Today

2,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin