Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chickenman1108
    • By Chickenman1108 28th Nov 17, 6:59 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chickenman1108
    Tenancy Inventory
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:59 PM
    Tenancy Inventory 28th Nov 17 at 6:59 PM
    Hi All
    I wonder if any of you can help me.

I moved into a rental property two years ago. On the date I moved in the letting agency performed an inventory (with me present).
    From memory I believe I signed something to say that I agreed with everything she had written (I went around the flat with them), but as standard I was given time to add things to the inventory after moving in.
    For many weeks afterwards I kept chasing the letting agent for a copy of the inventory on the basis that I had some amendments to add to it (as is often the case, you spot things once you're actually living there). Nothing major, just a few scratches and marks on things etc.
    They kept saying they would send it to me, but it never materialised. In the end they simply asked me to send them a document with my amendments, stating that they would amend the orginal document. I sent them my amendments, with photo evidence, and trusted that this would be fine.
    Anyway, I am due to move out in a few months time and I have asked my agents for a copy of the inventory that was done when I moved in. They don't have it. The only document they have is the one that I sent them - which only included things that I know they'd not included on the original inventory. The document is clearly marked as "amendments to inventory" and is not signed by anyone (as this was just the document that I sent them).
    I'm a little worried. Whist I know I havnt caused any damage to the property (I've put up one shelf, but that is it), when they come and inspect the place after I leave, how can I prove that the damage was caused BEFORE I moved in.
    We are talking things like scratches on the laminate floor, a burn mark on a bathroom shelf (presumably from a candle) - things like that...
    I know these things were done by the previous tenant and were included in the inventory that I signed upon moving in - but if that document no longer exists, how can I prove it?
    Surely it is my word against theirs?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Chickenman1108
    • By Chickenman1108 28th Nov 17, 7:01 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chickenman1108
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:01 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:01 PM
    Just one more thing to add - since moving into the property I have changed e-mail address so I no longer have any proof that I chased them for the original inventory when I first moved in.
    And the person who I was e-mailing no longer works for the agency :-(
    • G_M
    • By G_M 28th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    • 42,255 Posts
    • 49,059 Thanks
    G_M
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    ...... I sent them my amendments, with photo evidence, and trusted that this would be fine.
    correct. That will be fine

. They don't have it. The only document they have is the one that I sent them - which only included things that I know they'd not included on the original inventory. The document is clearly marked as "amendments to inventory" and is not signed by anyone (as this was just the document that I sent them).
    So that is all they have on which they can rely.

I'm a little worried. Whist I know I havnt caused any damage to the property (I've put up one shelf, but that is it), when they come and inspect the place after I leave, how can I prove that the damage was caused BEFORE I moved in.
    More to the point, how can they prove that any damage they find was not there when you moved in?

I know these things were done by the previous tenant and were included in the inventory that I signed upon moving in - but if that document no longer exists, how can I prove it?
    Originally posted by Chickenman1108
    You don't need to prove anything. They do.

I no longer have any proof that I chased them for the original inventory when I first moved in.
    That my be a problem if they deny receiving your emails, but given the lack of inventory, it hardly matters.
    Last edited by G_M; 29-11-2017 at 5:18 AM.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 28th Nov 17, 10:36 PM
    • 900 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    ThePants999
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:36 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 10:36 PM
    Just expanding on G_M's correct advice: the check-in inventory is for the benefit of the landlord, as if they want to make any deductions for damage, they have to be able to show that you caused the damage. If they've managed to lose the inventory (that will make the landlord REALLY happy with the agency!), they're going to struggle to pin any damage on you.

Note, however, that if they want to get picky, you putting up a shelf is "damage", and they could claim for the costs of returning it to the state it was in before (excepting reasonable wear blah blah).
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 29th Nov 17, 7:47 AM
    • 16,116 Posts
    • 40,012 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:47 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:47 AM
    It is very possible that the agency has passed on the hard copy inventory to the LL. As stated, if it went to the ADR, they would have to provide the inventory to evidence their claim. No inventory, no evidence, no claim (unless they can show dated receipts for new items).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin