Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack tyler
    • By jack tyler 28th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jack tyler
    Marriage Tax Allowance
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:56 PM
    Marriage Tax Allowance 28th Nov 17 at 6:56 PM
    I was watching Martins programme last night and there where two things on there that he talked about that I would like more information on, Marriage Tax Allowance and Carers Credit.

Does anyone know if I would be entitled to them. I don't work, I was made redundant in Aug 2013. Shortly after this in April 2014 my husband was killed in a road traffic incident. At the time I was a carer for my dad and getting Carers Allowance, but when I began receiving Widowed Parent Allowance, the Carers Allowance was stopped. I was told that this was because I was not allowed to claim both benefits at the same time.

Then in Dec 2014 my dad passed away. I haven't worked since being made redundant in Aug 2013, and in Martins programme last night towards the end, he said that the chancellor mentioned something in the budget regarding Marriage Tax Allowance and that widows and widowers would be able to claim it for the first time. Right up until my husbands death he was working. So please could anyone tell me if I would be entitled to this.

Also regarding the carers credit, I am now a carer for my mum who has Dementia. She was diagnosed on the 2nd June 2016. I know that because I still receive Widowed Parent Allowance, I wont be entitled to Carers Allowance, but I don't know if I would be entitled to carers credit. So does anyone know if I would be or not.

Thank you
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 28th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:21 PM
    Don't know about Carers Allowance but you won't be able to apply for Marriage Allowance as it only started from April 2015.
    • Mollycat13
    • By Mollycat13 28th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Mollycat13
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    The married tax allowance reduces your income tax bill by transferring a portion of one partners tax allowance to the other. It would only apply if your taxable income (e.g. wages or savings interest) were higher than your personal tax allowance.

Carer's credit pays your national insurance contributions but, you would probably already have your contributions credited if you claim child benefit for children.
    Last edited by Mollycat13; 28-11-2017 at 7:32 PM.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 29th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:30 PM
    You only get National Insurance credits from Child Benefit until the youngest child is 12.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

4,644Users online

Martin's Twitter