Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • darioolivares
    • By darioolivares 28th Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    darioolivares
    Stamp duty with a property abroad.
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:27 PM
    Stamp duty with a property abroad. 28th Nov 17 at 5:27 PM
    HI all,

I have a house abroad since 2006. It has never been my main residence as I rented since I bought it. My plan is to sell the house in the near future as i do not get any profit from it as the rent is lower than the mortgage.

I am also in the process of buying a house in England with my girlfriend (she does not have a house elsewhere). We are living in a rented property.

Is there a way to escape the 3% SDLT for second residence?

Thank you very much.
Page 1
    • Sootoo
    • By Sootoo 28th Nov 17, 5:53 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Sootoo
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:53 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:53 PM
    I bought a property in UK having lived in Bulgaria and didn't have to pay the extra 3% stamp duty because in Bulgaria you have to set up a company to buy a property. If that isn't the case with you then unfortunately I think you'll be liable for it
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 28th Nov 17, 7:20 PM
    • 6,262 Posts
    • 6,040 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:20 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:20 PM
    Is there a way to escape the 3% SDLT for second residence?
    Originally posted by darioolivares
    Yes, you sell the foreign property before buying. Or put the new property solely in your girlfriend's name.
    • darioolivares
    • By darioolivares 28th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darioolivares
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    Thanks for your reply!

Do you know if I sell the property, that I am renting abroad, in the next 36 months after buying the property in the UK Can I claim the refund of the stamp duty?
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 28th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    gingercordial
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    Thanks for your reply!

Do you know if I sell the property, that I am renting abroad, in the next 36 months after buying the property in the UK Can I claim the refund of the stamp duty?
    Originally posted by darioolivares
    No you can't, because it is not your main home (you are not living in it and never have).
    • darioolivares
    • By darioolivares 29th Nov 17, 7:06 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darioolivares
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:06 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 7:06 AM
    Yes, you sell the foreign property before buying. Or put the new property solely in your girlfriend's name.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    I can imagine, if we decide to put the house only in one name but the Mortgage in both. In case, there is a problem in the couple, I wont have any right in the property, but I will have to still pay the mortgage.

This is a hypothetic situation, that hopefully never is going to happen.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,027Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter