Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spidystrider
    • By spidystrider 28th Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1,224Posts
    • 1,581Thanks
    spidystrider
    0 WOW
    Car Hire and Debit Cards
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Car Hire and Debit Cards 28th Nov 17 at 5:10 PM
    Just about to book car hire in Alicante and remembered that most car hire companies want a credit card. The credit card we did have for this purpose is now out of date. Can I pay for the car hire right now with my debit card and then apply for a credit card to take with me on holiday or do I need one before I book?
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015
Page 1
    • benjus
    • By benjus 28th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 5,021 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    benjus
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:49 PM
    I don't see why that would be a problem - in my experience the credit card you present when collecting the car doesn't have to be the card you booked with. If for some reason it is a problem the site probably won't accept payment from a debit card anyway. Have you checked the T&C?
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • spidystrider
    • By spidystrider 28th Nov 17, 5:54 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    spidystrider
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:54 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:54 PM
    I don't see why that would be a problem - in my experience the credit card you present when collecting the car doesn't have to be the card you booked with. If for some reason it is a problem the site probably won't accept payment from a debit card anyway. Have you checked the T&C?
    Originally posted by benjus
    Thanks benjus, no I haven't checked the t&c, that would be a great idea
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 30th Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    • 30th Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    Most car hire companies will take any card for pre-payment, and then you can give them whatever card for the deposit.

We regularly get car hire (5-6 per year), always pay on a UK Cashback card, but use my foreign-free spend card for the deposit (which has never charged thus far...).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

6,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin