Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Signaller
    • By Signaller 28th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Signaller
    Fined for not renewing car tax
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    Fined for not renewing car tax 28th Nov 17 at 4:45 PM
    Admin - please move/delete, or advise if I've posted in the wrong place.
    My ex partner received a penalty for not renewing her car tax recently. Due to her health issues she does not actually pay anything. It is the standard £80, reduced to £40 if paid early, and a further £11.25 arrears!!!
    The only excuse she has is that she simply forgot to re-tax it.
    She contacted DVLA who told her that the car has never been subject to £0 payment because of her disability. This is quite simply not true, as she taxed it last year with £0 payment and has proof from the Post Office where she taxed it. I understand that she may well have to pay the late renewal penalty (she has taxed it today the same way she did last year) but why are they asking for arrears when she is not liable to actually pay anything anyway.

Regards

Signaller
Page 1
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 28th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Stoke
    Unfortunately, this has come up time and time again. Even if you pay £0, you have to renew that £0 tax.

Sorry to say, but bad luck
    • Signaller
    • By Signaller 28th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Signaller
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:54 PM
    Thank You @ Stoke for the superquick reply. I understand she should still have 'taxed' it, so will have to pay the late renewal penalty. But is she still liable for 'arrears' if the car is subject to £0 payment.
    • missile
    • By missile 28th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 9,021 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    missile
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:15 PM
    Is it really worth arguing over £11.25?

DVLA may well refund the arrears as and when the VED car is renewed at zero rate.
    Last edited by missile; 28-11-2017 at 5:18 PM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 28th Nov 17, 5:18 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:18 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:18 PM
    Thank You @ Stoke for the superquick reply. I understand she should still have 'taxed' it, so will have to pay the late renewal penalty. But is she still liable for 'arrears' if the car is subject to £0 payment.
    Originally posted by Signaller
    Maybe the discount to £0 is only effective if it is taxed on time? Failure to comply with the requirements of the discount may cancel void it?
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 28th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    Originally posted by Signaller
    I'm not sure. I don't have a lot of knowledge on this. It's something that I've complained about on here. The fact that £0 rate electric cars have to be taxed or drivers face a penalty seems like a great little money spinner for the Doovla.

That said, it does give the DVLA a way of tracking which vehicles are and aren't on the road, and that is probably their justification.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 28th Nov 17, 6:25 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:25 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:25 PM
    What would be the normal rate for the vehicle?.

It sounds like they have charged her the pro-rata rate for the vehicle because during that period she had not applied for the zero rate. The £0 rate only comes into effect when applied for. It is not automatic and I'm guessing non-backdateable.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 28th Nov 17, 6:35 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:35 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 6:35 PM
    Her V5C should show she is exempt. Does it?
    • Signaller
    • By Signaller 28th Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Signaller
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    Thank you all for your replies. She has a certificate from DWP showing her entitlement, as she has the high rate mobility element of DLA. She has been to the local post office today and taxed the car at £0 the same as she did last year. I will see her tomorrow and look at the V5C. Thanks again.

Regards
    Signaller
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 29th Nov 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,746 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Assuming that without the DLA certificate you actually have to pay something and its not £0 rated on its own then It is only £0 rated when covered by an exemption certificate. When its untaxed its not covered by that certificate so it would follow that the £11 was to cover the tax that would normally be due on that vehicle if it was being taxed normally without the disabled rate.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 29th Nov 17, 1:26 PM
    • 9,882 Posts
    • 7,361 Thanks
    GunJack
    Think we had to send the V5 off with a copy of the entitlement letter (Mrs G-J on high-rate PIP for mobility) and got new one back with tax-exempt Disabled classification noted on it. If OP's wife did it at the PO last time, the assistant should have told her she needed to send the V5 off to be changed.

Once DVLA have changed the V5, the reminders come through with a £0 to pay, but yes you still need to go through the process to "tax" it.
    Last edited by GunJack; 29-11-2017 at 1:29 PM.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 29th Nov 17, 1:56 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    sheramber
    information here for applying for exemption on grounds of disability
    https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport

DVLA send out a VC5 showing the exemption
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 29th Nov 17, 4:32 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    Robisere
    I am confused about this. I am in receipt of DLA Higher rate (Mobility component) and drive a Motability car, which means that I do not have to take action regarding VED ("Road Tax"). It is automatically renewed every year and I always receive a letter telling me this has been done.

Do you mean that the lady has been awarded DLA Mobility and has used the payments to buy a car? Or has she actually taken a Motability lease?

I suspect the former, because I do not see any other reason why she would have to tax it herself. If she receives DLA Mobility Component higher rate, please try to talk her into leasing a car instead of buying. Take alook at the Motability site and all the new cars on offer of a 3 year lease:
    https://www.motability.co.uk/

Buying a car in that way, is a false economy when you can lease a new car and pay not VED, no insurance and no servicing or parts, including tyres. And never have to worry about VED or the DVLA again. The amount paid out to keep a second-hand car on the road, will be more than the payments. Calculate all those charges I mention over 3 years and see what I mean.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 30th Nov 17, 2:11 AM
    • 7,075 Posts
    • 7,725 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    I am confused about this. I am in receipt of DLA Higher rate (Mobility component) and drive a Motability car, which means that I do not have to take action regarding VED ("Road Tax"). It is automatically renewed every year and I always receive a letter telling me this has been done.

Do you mean that the lady has been awarded DLA Mobility and has used the payments to buy a car? Or has she actually taken a Motability lease?

I suspect the former, because I do not see any other reason why she would have to tax it herself. If she receives DLA Mobility Component higher rate, please try to talk her into leasing a car instead of buying. Take alook at the Motability site and all the new cars on offer of a 3 year lease:
    https://www.motability.co.uk/

Buying a car in that way, is a false economy when you can lease a new car and pay not VED, no insurance and no servicing or parts, including tyres. And never have to worry about VED or the DVLA again. The amount paid out to keep a second-hand car on the road, will be more than the payments. Calculate all those charges I mention over 3 years and see what I mean.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Rather than pay every month for a car you will never own some people see sense in buying their own ant insuring it themselves. Leasing a car is false economy
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 30th Nov 17, 9:50 AM
    • 9,948 Posts
    • 4,096 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Works both ways .
    Ten cars on Motability all insurance tax and repairs taken care of . New car every three years .
    Negative end of allowance / ability to have a Motability car its handed back .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,588Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin