Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Porter171117
    • By Porter171117 28th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Porter171117
    Legal aid loan
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:42 PM
    Legal aid loan 28th Nov 17 at 4:42 PM
    Hi, I wondered if anyone had any experience with the legal aid agency? My mum has recently passed away and she has an outstanding legal aid loan which has daily interest charged to it ( 98p a day) the loan is attached to her Home, however, we canít sell her home as her partner is still living in it. The house will be ours when he dies but he may live ( hopefully ) for many years and it doesnít seem fair that interest is still being added even tho she has died. None of us ( her children) can afford to pay the loan off until the house is sold! Thanks
Page 1
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 28th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 4,429 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    They have a charge against the house and this is a debt against estate so it is not simple going to be written off.

Are they currently aware of your mother’s death? I would be more worried about them calling in the debt rather carrying on with what seem rather modest interest payments.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 29th Nov 17, 9:09 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:09 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 9:09 AM
    They have a charge against the house and this is a debt against estate so it is not simple going to be written off.

Are they currently aware of your motherís death? I would be more worried about them calling in the debt rather carrying on with what seem rather modest interest payments.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling

The OP's question is: "I wondered if anyone had any experience with the legal aid agency? ", not how anyone would feel if they were in that situation themselves.

Hopefully someone will come along who has knowledge of how this works. Failing that, the OP can ask the relevant agency for advice.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 29th Nov 17, 1:35 PM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 4,429 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:35 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:35 PM
    The OP's question is: "I wondered if anyone had any experience with the legal aid agency? ", not how anyone would feel if they were in that situation themselves.

Hopefully someone will come along who has knowledge of how this works. Failing that, the OP can ask the relevant agency for advice.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    What a bazaar response to my post. I never mentioned feelings, and if that was all the OP was asking then the only possible answers are yes or no. I doubt many would have experience of this exact situation, but plenty will have of secured debts on estates, and regardless of who the creditor is, the executors will have to handle it in exactly the same way.

In this case the debt could cause a real problem for the partnerís right to stay in the house, and I can see no reason not to make the OP aware of that, regardless of the actual question they asked.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 29th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    • 3,370 Posts
    • 2,730 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    Hi, I wondered if anyone had any experience with the legal aid agency? My mum has recently passed away and she has an outstanding legal aid loan which has daily interest charged to it ( 98p a day) the loan is attached to her Home, however, we can’t sell her home as her partner is still living in it. The house will be ours when he dies but he may live ( hopefully ) for many years and it doesn’t seem fair that interest is still being added even tho she has died. None of us ( her children) can afford to pay the loan off until the house is sold! Thanks
    Originally posted by Porter171117
    You need to urgently speak to the lender. Nobody on here can know the details of the loan. Do it today.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 29-11-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 29th Nov 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 4,429 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:32 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:32 PM
    You need to urgently speak to the lender. Nobody on hear can know the details of the loan. Do it today.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    Agreed.

The lender is a government agency, and the rate of interest is 8%, which would indicate the dept to the estate is around £4,500. Hopefully by informing them of the death interest payments will stop, but it is very likely that they will be looking for the dept to be paid out of the estate once it has been wound up, which unless there are other assets in the estate could mean the house may need to be sold.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 29th Nov 17, 3:40 PM
    • 874 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    chesky
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:40 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 3:40 PM
    Agreed.

The lender is a government agency, and the rate of interest is 8%, which would indicate the dept to the estate is around £4,500. Hopefully by informing them of the death interest payments will stop, but it is very likely that they will be looking for the dept to be paid out of the estate once it has been wound up, which unless there are other assets in the estate could mean the house may need to be sold.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    If that were to be the case, it would probably be worth the family members trying to get a bank loan to pay off the debt to avoid the agency trying to force an early sale.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 29th Nov 17, 10:08 PM
    • 6,081 Posts
    • 7,823 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:08 PM
    • 29th Nov 17, 10:08 PM
    I don't think the interest will stop simply because your mum has died. Why would it? after all, the debt has not been repaid.
    However, you can try contacting them to clarify:
    e-mail - land-charges-enquiry at egalaid.gsi.gov.uk
    Tel: 020 3334 6373

It may be that it would make sense for your mum's partner, or you and your siblings, so consider getting a loan at a better rate in order to clear off the debt - however, on the plus side, the 8% is simple interest, not compound, so only payable on the original debt, not on all the interest since.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,741Posts Today

6,897Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin