Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MollyJ14
    • By MollyJ14 28th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MollyJ14
    Bank claiming account details not found
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:39 PM
    Bank claiming account details not found 28th Nov 17 at 4:39 PM
    Hi,
    I'm trying to help my mum look into mis-sold PPI with a several companies.
    With one bank they held a joint personal account, joint business account, loan and credit cards for over 30 years. The accounts were only closed when my father passed away, 4 years ago and unfortunately mum has got rid of all paperwork. We sent a template letter, and the bank rang to say they cannot find any of their details. We searched mums credit file and there were no account numbers, although it did show they had closed accounts.
    Is our next step to write again to the bank and quite the data protection act (I can't remember the exact process because I've been reading for about 2 hours now) or do we approach the Information Commissioner? Or something else?
    Thankyou in advance for any help.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 28th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 4:48 PM
    Which Bank ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 28th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 89,955 Posts
    • 56,656 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    • 28th Nov 17, 5:02 PM
    or do we approach the Information Commissioner?
    The data commissioner does not hold any data about you.

Is our next step to write again to the bank and quite the data protection act
    If you want to spend £10 doing that, you can.

Maybe there is no PPI to find. Most people did not have it. Most bank accounts didnt have it as an option. So, maybe they cant find anything as there is nothing to find.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 29th Nov 17, 12:02 AM
    • 1,637 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    Mersey
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:02 AM
    • 29th Nov 17, 12:02 AM

With one bank they held a joint personal account, joint business account, loan and credit cards for over 30 years. The accounts were only closed when my father passed away, 4 years ago and unfortunately mum has got rid of all paperwork. We sent a template letter, and the bank rang to say they cannot find any of their details.

Is our next step to write again to the bank and quite the data protection act (I can't remember the exact process because I've been reading for about 2 hours now) or do we approach the Information Commissioner?
    Originally posted by MollyJ14

It's quite normal for banks not to store data for deceased former customers after a number of years (although usually they are still retained for 6 years ie Santander does this).

Equally, several banks have initially failed to locate an account of a recently deceased customer when contacted [this happened with my late Grandad's; but, it was located straightaway after a complaint was sent]

Re the IC - I'm only aware of them becoming involved in a few similar cases recently, such as Charter Savings Bank suffered a burglary earlier in the year, including the theft of customers' data which included former customers. But all customers were written to by the bank and compensated.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,266Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter